- Text Size +

The next morning, Clint knocked on the door of Hank's quarters. "Hey, High-Pockets!" Clint said. "You in there? You up?''

Clint heard some abrupt rustling from inside the room, and the unmistakable sound of Jan giggling.

"Janny? That you? They're looking for you, too," Clint said.

From inside the room Clint heard Jan saying, "Hank, we've got to clean up these clothes. He'll know what's been going on."

'This is Clint. He already knows," Hank said. "He's not stupid. I'll get the door."

"But, Hank you're covered in … spelunker stuff," Jan said, giggling again.

"Oh, right," Hank said. "OK, I'll go hose down, you answer the door."

"Lover," said Jan, "You were wonderful."

Hank chortled. "So were you," he said.

Clint hoped his mask would hide how badly he was blushing when Jan opened the door. She was wearing one of Hank's dress shirts, which had scaled up to cover her since it was treated with Pym particles. "Hi, cutie," Jan said, sticking her boobs - naturally at Clint's eye level - forward a bit.

"Wow, Janny, feeling your oats today, huh?" Hawkeye said.

Jan shrugged. "Hank brings out the best in me."

"Glad you two got whatever was going on last night worked out," Clint said. "Jan, Carol Danvers is here."

"Ms. Marvel?" Jan said. "What's up?"

"Um, apparently Bobbi contacted Carol about something you told her about and they want to have a briefing at your bungalow. She said it had to do with the goal you have that's most unlike yourself. She said you'd understand."

"Really? This soon?" Jan said. She yelled back into the rooms, "Hey, Hank, get a wiggle on. We've got a briefing at my bungalow on a project Bobbi's been working on for me, and Ms. Marvel is there."

"I'll be ready in a minute," Hank said.

"I'll let 'em know you're on you way," Clint said.

Hank and Jan arrived at the bungalow a few minutes later. Waiting there were Ms. Marvel, Mockingbird, Hawkeye and the Invisible Woman.

"Hi, guys," Jan said. "Sorry to keep you waiting."

"Looks like things got better last night," Bobbi said.

Jan grinned broadly. Hank smiled a sheepish smile, putting his arm behind his head.

"I told you he didn't dump you," Sue said.

"Yes, you did, O wise one," Jan said. Her eyes gleamed as she looked into Sue's.

"It's good to see you, Jan," said Ms. Marvel. "They didn't tell me how big you are until a couple of minutes ago."

"I'm starting to get used to it," Jan said. "Let's get this started. What's up?"

"Jan, when you brought up the idea of a Skrull terrorist mastermind, I remembered a name I heard a few times on the prison ship - J'Kyl. I knew Carol had interstellar contacts from the days when she had her Binary powers and was traveling in space with the Starjammers, so I asked her to do some checking."

"Turns out this J'Kyl is infamous out in the galaxy," Ms. Marvel said. "He's the Skrull equivalent of the Supreme Hydra - Out there plotting and planning behind the scenes from hiding vwhile letting others do the dirty work, even including the Skrull royal family."

"The upshot is, I've got some intelligence that places him living under an assumed name and shape in Shi'ar space. It's confirmed through several sources I trust."

"Can a small strike team reach him on a black ops-type mission?" Jan said.

"I believe so," Carol said. "A frontal assualt wouldn't have a chance, but if we use enough stealth, it will work."

"That fits my idea for a plan perfectly," Jan said. "OK, folks, if you're willing, here's my idea."

After explaining the proposal, Jan asked, "So, who's in?"

Everyone in the room raised a hand.

"Sorry, Clint," Hank said. "The academy's already short-staffed, and I'm going on this mission. I'll need you here."

Clint looked at Bobbi.

"Strategically, we need a skilled combatant for emergencies since Sue and Hank could both be busy with their other duties, but smaller is better," Jan said. "Even after being dosed with super-soldier serum, Bobbi's a bit smaller than you, Clint."

"So, the go team is Sue, Bobbi and Hank," Jan said.

"You're not going?" said Bobbi.

"Smaller is better, remember?" Jan said. "Hank can shrink and grow, so he can provide what I can and more, and stay small enough to help the mission's chances - plus he has the technical know-how to troubleshoot if something goes wrong."

"But this is your mission," said Bobbi.

'And, as a strategist, I know its best chance of success are if I'm not on the go team,." Jan said. "But I'll be on the space-worthy Quinjet with Carol as the extraction team if things go worng."

Hank nodded. "I'll rig up a holographic comlink so you can let J'Kyl know what's going on," Hank said. "You should do that."

Jan nodded. "I'd like that," she said grimly. "Can you make the necessary stuff for the plan?"

Hank nodded again. "I already know how. It'll take very little time."

"We need to move fast," Carol said. "There's no telling if he might move to a new location. I brought a space-worthy Quinjet with me."

"And you're our best space pilot," Jan said. "Let's get ready, folks."

The mission was ready to launch within two hours. Jan wore a red-and-yellow Wasp outfit, one that had been one of Hank's favorites during their marriage, something neither he, Clint nor Sue missed noticing.

Clint and Bobbi kissed passionately as the team prepared to leave. Then Clint said, "You come back to me - and take that bastard out."

Bobbi smiled. "Will do," she said.

Carol guided the ship througb two wormholes on space routes to the planet where J'Kyl lived. She parked the ship in a low orbit, allowing Sue to use her powers to safely lower herself and Bobbi on a series of force-field steps. Hank flew down at bug size. Sue kept the three of them in an invisibility field the whole time.

The intel said J'Kyl had developed a taste for a Shi'ar drink roughly equivalent to coffee. He had begun to frequent the same "café" regularly. It was there that they found him. The devices Reed sent showed clearly that he was a Skrull.

While invisible, Bobbi slipped the concoction Hank had put together into J'Kyl's drink. He quickly finished his "coffee" and started off the raised platform where the shop was located.

As soon as he was at a point where he couldn't be seen, Sue surrounded him with a force field and an invisibility field.

Suddenly J'Kyl realized he had reverted to his normal form. On seeing his face, Bobbi said quietly, "ID confirmed and positive. Begin hologram."

J'Kyl could now see Bobbi, Sue and Hank, but no one else could. He also realized to his dismay that he was shrinking, and he wasn't willing it. And he realized he couldn't speak, couldn't utter a sound.

Jan's holographic image appeared. "Hello, J'Kyl," she said. "This message is being sent in a frequency Skrulls can hear, but Shi'ar can't - and, as you can tell, it's translated into Skrull.

"My name is Janet Van Dyne. Your plot for a secret invasion of the Earth led to my death - but I got better. The three people with you were all kidnap victims of that plot. And we've all been Avengers at one time or another - it's an Earth super-team.

"Your scientist who destroyed my life and replaced my husband planted a growth bomb in me to be a weapon of mass destruction. You've been free to plot and execute more interstellar terror since then. That ends today.

"You've been dosed with a shrinking serum. It paralyzed your vocal cords, and is starting to speed up now, I see. You're going to shrink faster and faster, until you start shrinking through dimensions. You'll get what you need to survive from the energy and mass your body shunts as you shrink. You can't stop it. As you arrive in a new dimension, your molecules will be so dispersed you won't be able to touch anything, and when you are solid you'll shrink so fast and be so small that you won't be able to hurt anyone - ever again.

"Looks like you're only finger-size now. In seconds you'll start falling through dimension after dimension, always smaller, always more and more insignificant, until you either die of old age or run out of dimensions to shrink through and dwindle to the nothingness you deserve.

"And remember this, you Skrull bastard: We are Avengers, and we are avenged!"

The message cut off as J'Kyl dwindled from sight. After a few more seconds, Hank, still bug-size, whispered, "He's gone. Mission accomplished. "Let's go home."

Using force field steps again, the go team was soon back in the Quinjet, which quietly slipped out on its trip home.

On the ship during the flight, things were quiet. Everyone seemd lost in their own thoughts.

Hank patted Jan's hand. "We did it," he said. "The galaxy is a safer place, and the bastard that hurt all of us is gone."

"Yeah, we did it," Jan said. "I'm glad he's gone and can't hurt anyone else, but part of me still feels … dirty."

Hank nodded. "Not really very heroic, was it? Necessary, and justice, but not heroic."

"What is any more?" Jan said, literally starting off into space.

Hank took Jan's hand. She smiled back at him, a worn and weary smile.