- Text Size +

When they got home, it was late night. The team went to their separate quarters, except for Hank. He went with Jan to her bungalow. It had the Goliath bed, which was a better fit for her than the king-size bed in his quarters. This time they simply slept in each others' arms.

The next morning, Hank made Jan Eggs Benedict for breakfast. This time it was eight eggs and four English muffins - Jan hadn't eaten much the day before, and she had an appetite. He made two more eggs and another muffin for himself.

As Hank served up the meal, he asked, "So, are you ready to talk about your plans now?"

Jan smiled down at her beloved. "Seems as good a time as any," she said. "Let me wolf down my breakfast and have a little of this Earl Grey, and we can talk."

Hank took a sip of coffee. "Sounds good," he said.

After breakfast, Hank started to gather dishes. Jan lightly grabbed his arm. "Leave them," she said. "Let's talk."

Once Hank was resettled, he asked, "So, Bobbi tells me you have plans now. What can you tell me about them?"

Jan took a deep breath. "Well, for starters, I want to use this new height to my advantage," Jan said. "Being tall is a huge asset for a designer - and between my height, fitness and celebrity, I could almost certainly do really well as a model, now, too."

"Makes sense," said Hank. "You've always had a passion for that kind of thing."

Jan nodded. "And, speaking of passions … Hank, I don't want to keep being an Avenger. At least not full-time."

"Really?"

"Heroing has become less and less of a clear-cut heroes and villains thing and more and more of a morass. You weren't here for the superhero civil war, but we did things as the "good guys" that we used to fight against as villainy and evil. And look at what we just did. It was necessary to defeat an evil, but it wasn't heroic.

"Now, what you're doing here with the academy - this is heroic. It may never be recognized as that, but it is. You and the others are making a difference here for these kids. That's heroism. That I'd like to be a part of - and not as the Headmsitress' woman, as one of the kids called me the other day."

Hank smiled. "I think I could arrange that, if you're serious. I'm on very good terms with the headmaster."

Jan stopped smiling. "Then there's the other thing," Jan said. "Us."

Hank sipped his unfinished coffee. "That is kind of the elephant in the room." he said.

"If I understood what you were saying two nights ago right, you were so afraid of being hurt by losing me again that you were going to go ahead and lose me up front to make sure you weren't hurt. Is that right?"

Hank looked sheepish. "Well, yes, but when you put it that way, it sounds stupid."

Jan smiled. "That's because it is stupid, Lover. But it's also very human.

"Look, Hank, I can't promise you I won't die again tomorrow, or even today," Jan said. "That's just part of life. I could get hit by a bus, or choke to death on a sandwich, or die of some medical complication. And, for that matter, so could you. And, for whichever one of us is left, that's going to suck. It's going to hurt - a lot.

"But I figured out something while I was waiting to get back to Earth, something that had been staring me in the face for my whole adult life, but that I'd managed to look past."

Hank smiled a little. "And that is?"

Jan took both his hands in hers. "That my life is so much better with you in it, that I would rather have a short life with you in it every day, in as close a capacity as you can stand, than live 150 years without you."

"But, Jan, I hit you."

"When you were fighting mental illness," Jan said. "You're so much better now - I can see that. And, if the mental illness resurfaces, I'll get you whatever treatment we can - and I won't stop loving you.

"Besides," Jan said, standing up, "I'm bigger than you at rest, I can get bigger than you can get, and, thanks to the way my powers work and the Norse magic, I'm pretty sure I'm stronger than you when we're the same size. I don't think you could get away with doing too much to me."

"Point taken," said Hank.

"So, what do you think, Hank? I mean, I get the feeling from the way you've been feeling me that you want to be more than just friends. Am I right?" She bent down to him coyly.

Hank leaned back. "How did you put it? I want to spend every day I can with you in as close a capacity as possible. And," he added, "I want that to be with as much feeling" - he placed a hand on Jan's abdomen - "as possible."

"Why, Dr. Pym," Jan said in a mock Southern dialect, "I do believe we are on the same page."

They both knew that they were heading back to the bedroom, but not to sleep this time. "Before we head back," Hank said, "Was that everything we needed to talk about?"

Jan smiled. "No," she said, "but it's everything we can talk about now."

After some time together in bed, Jan made lunch. She had a truly huge salad; Hank, a ham and swiss on wheat toast.

After swallowing a bite of sandwich, Hank said, "You know, Jan, we are going to have to deal with some practical things, including - I hate to say this after the other night - a press conference."

"It's OK now, Hank," Jan said. "We worked through what we needed to work through for now. So, when do we want to do this?"

"You want to shoot for tomorrow afternoon?" Hank said. That'll give you time to prepare, and me to do headmaster business here and run an important errand."

"Sounds good. Can you set it up?"

"I think I'll have to, if we don't want to tip our hand that you're back," Hank said. "But there is something else. We really haven't tested exactly what the limits of your new powers are. We know your size-changing limits, but not anything about anything else going on with your condition. We need to get a feel for that. I need to know it, and I think you do, too."

"OK," said Jan. "How do we do that?"

Hank swallowed another bite of his lunch. "We have scanning equipment here because of all the super-kids' powers, some of which are unstable. We can scan your capabilities in a few minutes, and see just what you can do."

"Hank, what about the money? You know, my old money."

Hank paused, surprised Jan brought it up. "I was planning to give it back," Hank said. "I've been having Jen Walters draw up the papers."

"Don't rush it," said Jan. "I'm in no hurry to get it back."

"OK," said Hank. "Mind if I ask why?"

"A, you're doing a good job with handling it, and, B, I have my reasons, which will be clear soon enough."

Hank smiled. "Soon?"

Jan got the reference to her time waiting to get back to Earth. "Yes, Lover, "she said. "Soon."

Early that evening, after the academy day was done, Hank ran the scanner on Jan. In a few minutes, he had the data. Looking at it, he whistled.

Jan struck a flirty pose. "For me, Lover?"

Hank smiled up at her. "Well, for that, too, but it was specifically over these readings. There are a couple of surprises here. One I should have seen coming."

Jan saw Hank was smiling, so she figured the news was good. "Yeah? So? Spill!" she said.

He raised an eyebrow. "You might want to think about focusing on aerobic exercise," Hank said. "You're going to find strength training … challenging. Actually, because you'll be challenged to find anything heavy enough to be a lifting challenge."

"What?" said Jan. "How strong am I?"

"Well, remember how you had full-size strength when you were wasp-sized before?" Hank said. "Now, your full-size is 512 feet tall, so -"

Jan gasped.

"You're basically in a strength class with Thor and the Hulk," Hank said.

"But - but then why haven't I crushed you to death when we made love?" Jan asked.

"You usually only used wasp-strength before unless you needed more when you were wasp-sized," Hank said. "I'm guessing you're still doing that."

"I'm one of the strongest Avengers?" Jan said.

Hank nodded. "Great time to semi-retire, huh?"

"It doesn't change my mind, Hank," Jan said, "but it is good to know. You said there were a couple of surprises?"

"Yeah," Hank said. "You've kind of taken an interest in Hazmat, right?"

"Jenny Takeda, right," Jan said. "I feel for her, being trapped like that. We've both been there, and I guess I give her hope."

"Then you'll really want to know this," Hank said.

Jenny was starting to try to settle in for the night. Then she heard the last thing she expected to hear: a knock on her door.

Jenny walked over to the intercom. "Who's there?" she said.

"Jan. Can I come in?"

Jenny sighed. "Jan, I'm toxic. I'll kill you if you come in."

"No, you won't," Jan said. "Turns out the cure I got gave me immunity to every toxin - biological, chemical and radiation - that you emit."

"What?" Jenny said quietly, not believing what she heard.

"Hank - Giant-Man double-checked the results before I came," Jan said. "And, um, I just thought that you might like the chance for a little girl talk - and maybe a hug from a friend?"

"Come in!" said Jenny. "There's a clean room you can leave your clothes in."

"I brought two sets," Jan said. "I'll leave one here for when I visit, if that's OK."

In under a minute, Jan was ducking in the door of Jenny's room.

"Hi," Jenny said in a small voice.

"Hi," Jan said. "Oh, we've gotta find a way to get you out of that suit safely, girl. You'll make the boys crazy, and I can help."

Suddenly Jenny slammed into Jan, hugging her. Jan patted the teen's head. "So, if you've been feeling like I've felt when my powers or condition trapped me, I'm guessing you've been pretty lonely."

Jenny nodded.

"Well, if you want, I can take some time in here with you sometimes - maybe even regularly," Jan said. "But only if you want it."

Jenny nodded again.

"I hear you're a runner," Jan said.

"Yeah," said Jenny.

"Think we could get a couple of treadmills set up in here so we could do some jogging?" Jan said. "I need to do something aerobic, and Hank - Giant-Man isn't much on running and such. Mind you, I'd need a big treadmill."

"I'd love it," Jenny said.

"OK," said Jan. "We'll sort out the details tomorrow."

Jan bent down to look Jenny in the eye. "And, whatever happens, Jenny, I want you to remember something. I don't know how or when it will happen or if it will be in the way you want or we hope for, but I know this much: Things will get better."

Jenny hugged her again. "They already are," she said.

The next few days were a whirlwind. Jan was reintroduced to the world. The media reaction had some of the usual screaming and idiocy, but was positive for the most part. Jan had lined up an agent before she went public, and had modeling gigs and TV interviews lined up almost immediately after the conference ended.

In the immediate aftermath of the announcement, fellow and former Avengers and other superheroes Jan knew started calling, welcoming her back. Jan loved the frenzy of contact and attention; she was in her element.

For Jan, the best contact of all was when Thor arrived, in person. He gazed up at his now-gigantic teammate. Tears welled from his eyes as he knelt before her. "Fair Janet, 'tis indeed thee," he said. Thou art alive - enlarged, but alive, and by far the fairest giantess I have ever seen."

"Get up, Thor," Jan said. "Oh, it's so good to see you!"

"And to see thee, as well," Thor said.

Jan hugged him, allowing her full strength to be applied. This surprised Thor, who said, "Thy strength is that of a Norse goddess!"

"In a sense, that's partly thanks to you," Jan said. "Thank you."

"For what?"

"When you dimensionally shunted me, it turned out to be the first step in saving my life," Jan said. "You avenged me on the Skrulls at the scene, and your actions helped save my life. Thank you."

"Thou honorest me," Thor said.

Jan caressed his cheek. "Wow, it's really weird being this much taller than you."

Thor chuckled. "Aye," he said. "It appeared to me that thou and Henry art together again."

Jan nodded.

"Then that is an even greater joy for me," Thor said.

"Hank told me what you did for him in the aftermath of the memorial service," Jan said. "Of all the founding Avengers, you've been our truest friend."

"Hast thou heard from Iron Man?"

Jan nodded. "He called. I don't think he's comfortable around Hank at this stage. While I'd love to see Tony, I'm not going to push it. That's a challenge for another day."

Thor hugged Jan full-strength. She squealed in delight at how it felt. Then they said there goodbyes.

During those days, Jan spent at least a few minutes in Jenny's room each day. Mostly they talked or jogged. Jenny started calling Jan "Big Sis," and Jenny became Jan's "Little Sis."

One day, Jenny asked Jan to brush the teen's hair. "OK," Jan said. "Mind if I ask why?"

"My mom used to do it, before I got toxic," Jenny said. "It's a comfort thing for me."

Jan took the brush. "Then I'm glad to do it, Little Sis."

Hank and Jan were spending a lot of time together, too. Jan was getting a feel for more of the Academy's kids, and was finding she loved the work. Some of the kids she found a challenge. Hank said they were the ones who were most like her, prompting Jan to stick out her tongue at him.

Sue had decided it was safe for her to go home to New York. It was on her last night at the academy that Hank asked Jan to meet him at the beach, at the spot she'd flown him to when she first woke up at her current minimum height.

Jan flew to the spot, wearing a little off-white dress - well, it looked little on her - with a low-cut back to allow for wing room. Being the beach, she had worn sandals.

She spotted Hank, wearing a white dress shirt and khaki slacks, sitting at a simple table covered with a tablecloth. Flowers were in a vase in the center, and candles were on either side. There were plates and a seafood dinner, waiting to be served.

"Welcome," said Hank. He hit an app button on the notepad computer he had with him, and it began to play some Rachmaninoff.

"I'm impressed," Jan said. "Hank, this is so romantic. I don't think you've ever done anything quite like this before."

"That's because I haven't," he said. He held Jan's chair. "Allow me, miss."

"Thank you, sir," Jan said.

They ate the meal. Hank allowed himself a single glass of white wine. Jan could have three, but passed. She still felt some guilt about what happened after her tipsy slip to Pietro's sister Wanda a few years ago. She sipped some of the bottled water Hank brought instead.

Dessert was a rich chocolate cake. Jan had the equivalent of three pieces, which would have been about one piece to her at her old height. "There are some advantages to being this big, and this is definitely one of them," she said before she savored another bite.

As Jan finished the cake, Hank reached across the table and took her hand. "Jan," he said. "I love you."

"I can tell," Jan said. "And I love you, too."

She stood up, and crossed around the table to Hank. "Actually, you've done such a good job it makes what I wanted to do tonight that much easier."

Hank stood up. Jan looked down in to his eyes, a situation she was finally starting to get used to.

"Hank," Jan said, "I know I'm not perfect, and I know you aren't either. I know that, in the past, you've danced at the edge of sanity and occasionally fallen off. And I promise to do everything in my power to keep you back from that edge and to catch you if you do go over. "

"Jan, I -" Hank said.

"Please, let me finish," Jan said. "I don't want to miss this chance. I know I'll probably mess things up sometime down the line, and I know you probably will, too. But even the bad days with you are better than the best days without you and I want to share the rest of my life with you."

Jan got down on one knee. "Henry Pym, will you marry me?"

After a second, Hank burst out laughing.

Jan looked appalled. "This isn't a joke," she said. "I'm pouring my heart out down here."

"I'm not laughing at you, Honey," Hank said. "I'm - Here, I'll just show you."

From his trouser pocket Hank pulled a jewelry case. He held it at Jan's eye level and opened it. In it was a beautiful white gold ring with a large diamond in an elegant setting.

Jan looked at the ring, then at Hank. "I was going to propose to you tonight," he said.

"Well, why didn't you stop me?" Jan said.

"I tried," said Hank. "You wouldn't let me. Besides, you said how I feel way better than I would have."

Jan grinned, her cheeks already wet with happy tears. "So, is that a yes?"

"That depends," Hank said. "Is the answer to my question a yes?

"What question?" Jan said. "You never asked it."

Hank got down on one knee himself. "Janet Van Dyne, will you marry me?"

"Absolutley, yes!" Jan said, picking Hank up in a huge hug..

"Then my answer is yes, too," Hank said.

"Well, I should hope so," Jan said.

After a few minutes of kissing, Hank got out the ring and slipped it on Jan's finger. "Hank, it's so lovely," Jan said. "It looks so much like …"

Jan's jaw dropped. "Hank, it looks just like my Mom's ring."

"I had it made based on a photo you had of her," Hank said. "But I had it done in white gold, instead of the yellow. I know you prefer white gold. It's treated with unstable molecules, so it'll change sizes with you."

Big as she was, Jan looked in the moonlight like the tiny young slip of a girl he had met while she was in college. "I know what your mom meant to you, and how much you miss her sometimes," Hank said. "This was a way to have her with us for the big day."

"This was your errand, wasn't it?" Jan asked.

Hank answered by touching his nose.

Jan took his hand. "Hank, I love you, but there is one other thing we need to talk about - the other thing I held off on the other day."

"OK," said Hank. "What is it?"

"Hank, I want to be a mom," Jan said. "I want to be a mommy, and I want you to be the daddy, to our own kid - or kids."

"But you didn't want to have kids before," Hank said.

"Until I was dying," Jan said. "Then I realized, too late, how much I really wanted them after all. Now I've got another chance and, if you want to, I want to take it."

Hank beamed. "You're gonna make a wonderful mom," he said. "But won't pregnancy interfere with your new modeling career?"

"Are you kidding?" Jan said. "Don't you know that baby bumps are the new black?"

They hugged again. Hank leaned back slightly. "This is why you wanted to have Jen Walters hold off on the money transfer. With getting married, it's just shared."

Jan nodded. "Besides, I meant what I said," she said. "You've done a good job with it, and it isn't what matters to me any more."

After another hug, Jan said, "Hank, Sue's leaving tonight and I want her in the wedding party. Can we get some folks together here about that?"

"Sure," said Hank. "I'll call some folks to the conference room - whoever we need. And I'll make a conference call, too. There are a couple of people I know I want in on this, too."

Jenny was surprised to see that everyone in the conference room when she arrived was an adult. There was Jan, who had called her here, and Giant-Man, Hawkeye, the Invisible Woman and Mockingbird. Jan was holding her right hand over her left.

"OK, we're all here," Jan said.

"Reed, are you there?" Hank asked.

"Right here, Hank," said Reed said through a speaker phone. "What's up?"

"I apologize for the late hour, with the time difference in New York, but this won't wait with Sue leaving in the morning," Jan said.

'That's all right. How are you, darling?"

"Fine, dear, but I know about as much about this as you do," Sue said.

Jan was bouncing now. "Oh, I can't wait any longer1" Jan said. She held up her left hand to show off the ring. "We're engaged!"

Cheers and congratulations went up around the room.

Once the furor died down, Jan went over to Susan. "Sue, I need someone who loves both Hank and me to be my matron of honor. I know - better maybe than anyone - that you love us both. I would be honored if you would be my matron of honor."

Sue grinned a goofy grin, nodding. "Gladly," she said.

"Reed," said Hank, "You're one of our oldest friends, and you were instrumental in saving Jan. Please be my best man."

"Proud to do it, Hank," Reed said.

"Clint, Bobbi, we want you in the wedding party, too," Jan said. "Will you be a groomsman and a bridesmaid for us?"

Bobbi turned to he love. "What do you say, sweetie? I can rock a pretty mean bridesmaid dress."

"Yeah?" said Clint. "Well, I put the "Oh!" in tuxedo."

Bobbi winced. "That's bad, but you'll look great," she said. Turning to Jan and Hank, she said, "We're in."

"I'm going to ask Stephen Strange to be my other groomsman, but I couldn't reach him tonight," Hank said.

Jan walked over to Jenny. "And that means I need another bridesmaid," Jan said. "What d'you say, Little Sis?"

"Me?" Jenny said.

Jan nodded.

"But I can't get out of the containment suit," Jenny said.

Jan shrugged. "So? A, I'm a fashion designer. Maybe I can make you a special suit for the occasion. B, if not, you'll just wear the suit."

Jan bent down to look Jenny in the face. "And C, I can't imagine this wedding without you in my party up front. You gave me hope, Little Sis."

"I gave YOU hope?"

Jan nodded. "That first time you hugged me, suit and all, came when I was at a really low point. Thinking about you - seeing what I did for you - let me know that, whatever else happened, I mattered to someone. And you helped me find something I can do to help people, .. And a new friend. So, what d'you say?"

"Sure, Big Sis," Jenny said, hugging Jan.

"Um, one question," said Reed. "We're all committing to this wedding, but when is it?"

"Hey, that's right," Clint said. "High-Pockets, Janny, when's this wedding gonna be?"

Jan and Hank smiled at each other, each thinking of the time in the void when Jan was first revived. In unison, they turned to their friends and said simultaneously, "Soon!"

THE END