- Text Size +

Chapter 10

Bibi awoke. She had a slight hangover, and the sunlight stung in her eyes. Lifting herself up, she rubbed her eyes, sighting. What had happened? She had faint memories of small buildings, her destroying everything, stuff like that. It was like a dream, slowly fading from her awakening memory. Weird.

She opened her eyes.

She looked around her.

Then she realized it.

 It had not been a dream.

It was real.

She really was a giantess, seven miles tall!

Her high pitched-scream was heard all over Pennsylvania.

The ruins of Pittsburgh lay before her, small wisps of smoke pouring from the countless ruined buildings. Brown patches of dirt mingled with the water of the Monongahela River, its waters flowing like a thin ribbon, filled the imprints of her bare feet with water before continuing its way to the sea.
Bibi, shocked, looked closer. Small dots, no bigger than the tip of a hair, moved in the few undamaged streets, to her as if in slow motion. She could hardly distinguish cars and buses, fire engines and ambulances, only the colors hinted what the dot was. Humans were too small for her to see, no matter how hard she tried.

Then, her lamentation began.

"Nooooo," she said, "Please, no! Don't let it be true! I...I..."

She clasped her hand before her open mouth, tears welling up in her eyes. What had she done? What was she thinking? She had turned herself into a monster, a freak, a mass-murdering abomination.
A thousand thoughts entered her mind, each more atrocious than the last. What was she about to do? Sit here, for the rest of her life? Ever the slightest of her movements would cause a catastrophe. And what about food? She would starve to death, or die of thirst. Her family, aunts and uncles, cousins and the like, all dead? And her friends, the few she had? Bibi started to cry as she realized she had killed them as well, people who loved her, now turned to mush, greasy spots, just because of her carelessness.

"What have I done?" she thought over and over. She had destroyed Pittsburgh, the city she grew up in and loved. She would never have fun again with friends, never have a boyfriend. There was nothing anymore for her. Only destruction.

"I'm so sorry," she whined. "Please, forgive me, I...I am so sorry..." She saw images in her mind of ruined cities, like on old videos from WWII, and knew Pittsburgh would look the same way now. Debris. Desperate survivors, looking for family and friends. Lone walls, with shattered windows as a sad reminder of what once was a building. All because of her.

Bibi saw only one way out. She had to end her life. But how could she kill herself? Yes, how? Drown herself in the ocean? Go to the North Pole and let herself freeze to death? Go to a desert and die of overheating?
No. She would cause more destruction getting there, and she doubted she had the self-discipline to remain there, waiting for death to relieve her.

Then the answer came. Like a little firefly, Bibi saw it. A nuke flew towards her.
She knew it the moment she saw it. No conventional weapon could hurt her, but a nuke was powerful enough. Yes, that was the solution.
She held still, because the slightest of her movements might destroy the missile or make it fly off target. Bibi closed her eyes, wet with tears, and held her breath.
Then, a large flash of light so bright she could see it through her closed eyelids.
Bibi did not feel any pain, nor heat. Life left her as the nuke unleashed its deadly power. Bibi's flesh vaporized, as did her bones. A large patch from her body was gone immediately, like a huge gaping hole. Bibi's head was severed from her body, the force of the pressure wave tearing her apart. Nevertheless, she felt happy. Death was a mercy for her. For the entire world.

"It feels...right," thought Bibi, just before life left her.

Then, nothing.

THE END