- Text Size +

Chapter 3

Back home, Bibi went straight to a shopping mall. She needed a syringe to inject the agent. Lucky for her, the guy behind the desk didn't ask any annoying questions, whether she was a drug addict or something. After a quick search on the internet, she learned how to inject herself properly as well.

Bibi lost no time. She filled her syringe with the green liquid, not forgetting to make sure no air was left in it. The bottle contained enough liquid for two injections, but Bibi wanted to try only one injection for starters. She tied a thin piece of cloth firmly around her arm, making her veins more visible. It was a bit difficult, using her teeth and her free arm, but she managed. Then she disinfected the place she was about to enter with the needle, and, taking a deep breath, injected herself with the agent. Bibi felt the cold liquid enter her system. Then, nothing.

She waited. Five minutes. A quarter of an hour. To pass time, she unpacked her suitcase. One hour. She went for a walk. Two. She was at home again. Nothing. Irritated, she filled the syringe again, and injected the second dose of the green liquid in her veins. Still nothing.

"Oh, damn!" she sighted. Obviously, the stuff only seemed to work on plants.
"It would have been too great," she thought. Then, her next thought startled her. What if the stuff was poisonous? She hadn't experienced any side effects yet, but then again, it might be a poison that worked very slowly. Bibi, cursing her carelessness, got visions of sudden fevers, spasms, feelings of nausea, and no physician being able to help her since the agent was unknown. Could Frank help her? But then again, he didn't know how the growing stuff worked on humans and he was in Madagascar anyway. It took 16 hours to fly there, and in the meantime, she could just as well be dead already.
Bibi searched her mind what she could do. First, she desperately wanted it but now, all she wanted now was to neutralize the growing stuff. What did she know about it? What had Frank said? He told her it was produced by a moss, the moss feeding on the water and nutrients of the host, that it was so delicate she couldn't grow by drinking it...yes; it was too delicate to drink. Because of the stomach acids. However, she couldn't inject herself with acid.

"Maybe," Bibi thought, "if I drink a lot of alcohol, which is being released in the bloodstream too, it might...."

Bibi left, to do what she could do best. Drinking.

In her favorite pub in downtown Pittsburgh, she ordered one gin after the other. The barkeeper shot her a funny look. He knew her, since she was his best customer, but usually she didn't show up until evening. Now, it was 1.00pm.

"Something to celebrate?" he inquired, which was a nice way of asking "Are you going to start drinking at early midday now?"

"Uh-huh", Bibi muttered, draining her glass. She put it down and pointed in it.

"Let the air out of it again," she said, which her standard phrase was if she wanted her glass refilled. The barkeeper let the air out. Again.

All she wanted was to neutralize the growing stuff and drown herself in alcohol, feeling nothing anymore. No fear from being poisoned, no memory of her rather short trip to Madagascar, no memory of this funny Frank guy, this doctor Frank-en-stein, with his growing flowers and witches' moss and stuff.
After a mere two hours, she was inebriated as hell. And she felt sleepy. Bibi closed her eyes, resting her head in her arms on the bar's table, dozing off.

"Never on holiday again," her last thoughts where, before she was asleep. Little did she know that wish would be fulfilled. Just like the other one, being taller. She started to grow.