- Text Size +

Chapter 5

Bibi awoke slowly. It was afternoon, still daylight. She looked around her, her eyes half-closed and watery. Everything swam around her, the entire world twisted and turned. She had just stopped growing, having reached the unbelievable height of 750 feet. She was not aware of it, drunk as she still was.

"Wha…whatish happenin'?" she muttered in her drunken voice. Bibi had heard someone cry "yuck", but she could not see anyone. Where was the bar? She could not see it either. Only the skyline of Pittsburgh.
As she had gotten up, slow and with difficulties, Bibi felt an itch in her ear. It was the barkeeper, who had turned around, so he could see what was going on outside. The view was spectacular, but he wasn't in the mood to enjoy it. All he wanted was to go down and run. Run away from Bibi, the girl that he had known for years, the girl he had to thank for the flat screen TV and designer clothes he could afford because of the dollars she gladly exchanged for booze.
He looked down, seeing her gargantuan body, a white-pink fleshy mountain, swaying back and forth, as the drunken giantess tried to keep her balance. Her legs, thin and sparsely muscled, looked small from his height, but the barkeeper knew they were thicker and stronger than the thickest trees. He got woozy from the swaying of Bibi and the view. Then he heard himself screaming for help, hoping a helicopter would pass by and get him out of this fleshy prison.

Bibi heard an annoying pitch in her ear. First, it was itching; now it was ringing. No, it was more like a squeal. She put her pinky finger in her ear and scratched.
The barkeeper's last view was an enormous finger, with a nail three times the size of his body, coming towards him. He let out a scream, and then the enormous finger mercilessly pressed him into the ear, against the thick, unyielding skin, breaking his bones and rupturing his flesh as it twisted and turned like an enormous pestle. The barkeeper was turned into a bloody pudding by Bibi's scratching. Nothing but a thin smear was left of him as she removed her pinky finger away from her ear.

Bibi flicked with her thumbnail the lint that was the barkeeper from under her pinky fingernail. The itch and the noise were gone. As the remains of the barkeeper rained down on Pittsburgh, Bibi looked around her. "Wheeeerreeee am I?" she stammered, one eye closed. She saw the houses, hardly bigger than matchboxes, around her feet. Some looked like they were demolished. Nearby skyscrapers hardly reached her chest. She looked down on the small buildings and stores of downtown Pittsburgh, the thin roads, trees not much taller than her hand was big. Because of her drunkenness, she didn't think it was weird she was so gigantic. To her, it seemed normal. Swaying on her feet, she decided it was time to go home, even if she didn't know exactly anymore where that was.

Bibi tried to walk, but lost her balance after two steps. She swayed too much backwards, and fell. Her 750 feet tall body crashed into a shopping mall, which was unable to withstand the enormous mass of flesh and bone. Her back, 200 feet broad, collapsed through dozens of stores, taking the entire interior and shoppers with it. With a loud, thunderous crash, the mall was obliterated under the vast, fleshy sky that was her body, with two birthmarks big enough to park a car on. A cinema and a liquor store where smashed under her butt as she hit the ground.
While falling, Bibi's arms swayed around, trying to regain her balance or trying to cling to something, but failed. Unfortunately, her huge hand crashed through a 20-story office building while doing so, hitting the 7th and 8th floor with such force that they flew in pieces over the street. The upper floors crashed down on the lower, crushing the 6th and 5th, then slid slowly down to the ground, burying two stores under them.
As smoke rose from the destroyed buildings, Bibi looked up into the sky. Her head had hit the park behind the shopping mall, its trees softening the impact, like a patch of moss. The daylight hurt her eyes. She closed them, and stood up again. Her right hand, the one that just hew through the office building, pressed flat to the ground, crushing two cars and three people under it as she shifted her weight to it to stand up.
She dragged her feet towards her, bulldozing through the remains of the destroyed buildings. She managed to get up.
To the many people from Pittsburgh, it seemed as if a huge demon emerged from hell, Bibi's towering, gigantic body rising from the smoke all around it. Bibi had caused a lot of mayhem around her. It was only the beginning.