- Text Size +

Hercules, Reed, Stephen and Clint were waiting for the women at the path entrance on the ridge above the beach.  As had been planned, Sue cast an invisibility field over the area, keeping those below -- especially Hank -- from seeing the women -- especially Jan -- until they made their entrances.

Hercules gazed up at Jan.  “Janet, thou art … further enlarged,” he said.

“I know,” Jan said.  “I’m kinda stuck this way.  You still willing to give away the bride?”

Hercules beamed.  “Twill be my honor and my joy so to do,” he said.

Meanwhile, Sue touched Jenny’s pink Hazmat suit, charging it with invisibility.  The Invisible Woman smiled at the teen.  “You’re a beautiful girl, Jenny,” Sue said.

“Thanks,” said Jenny.  “I’m in good company in that department.”

“We’ve kept everyone waiting long enough, I think,” said Jan.  “We’re pushing being more than fashionably late.  Stephen, Jenny, are you ready?”

Jenny grinned up at Dr. Strange, who gently smiled back.  “I believe we are,” he said.

“Then let’s do this,” Jan said.

Stephen and Jenny entered first, with the music played by the minister’s church organist on a keyboard.  Clint and Bobbi were next in, followed by Reed and Sue.  That just left Hercules and Jan.

The crowd gasped when they saw Jan.  Most, even those who knew her well, were taken aback by her sheer size.  A few were marveling at the wedding dress; it was daring, but Jan had the looks for it, and it worked.

As Jan approached, she had to suppress a giggle.  Hank was wearing an outfit she’d only seen in pictures, but it was unmistakable.  It was yellow and black with goggles and earphones, and clearly patterned after the costume she was wearing when she died.  It was his Wasp uniform.

Jan walked up and stood beside Hank, who barely came up to her hips.  Hercules passed her hand to Hank’s.

Hank and Jan were each beaming at the other.  “Nice outfit,” Jan said.

“Thanks,” Hank said.  It’s in solidarity with Scott.  He’s here, by the way.”

“Good,” Jan whispered.

“Why are you so big?”  Hank asked.

“I’m kinda stuck,” Jan said.  “I’ll explain later.  You OK with this?”

“As long as I’m marrying you, I don’t care what size you are,”  Hank said.

“That’s what I thought, but it’s still nice to hear,” Jan said.

The minister leaned in, smiling.  “Can we start now, or do you two want to keep chatting?” the pastor asked.

“Go for it,” Hank and Jan said together.

The ceremony followed a traditional one until the point of the vows.  At that stage, Jan went first, and said vows she’d written.

“Henry Pym, I, Janet Van Dyne Pym, take you to be my wedded husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, but not only for as long as we both shall live.  We superheroes seem to have a way of dying and coming back.  If one of us has died and then gets back, and the survivor is still available, I promise, I’ll still stay married to you, if you’ll have me.  I’ve played at a lot of things over the years -- fashion design; early on, superheroing;  and, unfortunately, being your wife.  I’m done playing at those things.  I’m ready to work.”

Jan glanced at Herc and smiled.  “Hercules tells me I had unfinished business, which is part of why I’m back.  You’re that unfinished business, Hank, and I aim to finish that business by living out however many lifetimes I have with you.  I love you.”

Hank gazed up at Jan.  “Janet Van Dyne, I, Henry Pym, take you to be my wedded wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, for bigger or for smaller -- and I like your lifetimes part, too.  Count me in on that.”

Jan, and the crowd, giggled.

“I promise to work to be open to you,” Hank continued, “to unlock my feelings to you so they don’t lead me back into madness, and to trust and listen to you all my days.  I learned what it is to live without the possibility of you in my life when you were dead.  It was hell for me.  The day you came back, and ever since, I’ve been in heaven.  Even a bad day with you is better than my best day without you.  I promise to live with you and lve you with all I’ve got for every one of the days I have left, even if they wind up spread out like yours have been.  I love you.”

Then Hank beamed up at his bride.  "And, Jan: Soon is now," he said.

Jan couldn't help but laugh.  "Soon" had become a catch word between them in the hours when Hank, Reed and Stephen were laboring to free her from Underspace.  The go phrase for the rescue was, "Soon is now."  And, when Hank and Jan were asked the night they announced their engagement when the wedding had be, they answered in unison, "Soon!"

Now Jan was beaming down at Hank.  "Yes," she said.  "Soon is now.  Now the marriage begins."

Hank, still smiling, nodded.


Jan’s wedding ring, like her dress, was treated with unstable molecules.  When Hank slipped it on Jan’s finger, it grew to fit.

Soon the minister reached the end of the ceremony.  “I pronounce that they are husband and wife together,” the pastor said.  “What God has joined on Earth, let no human separate.”  Looking up at Jan, the pastor added, “Under the circumstances, I think I should say, you may now kiss the groom.”

Jan scooped up Hank and kissed him hard, and he kissed back as the crowd cheered.

The wedding party formed a reception line leading guests to the spot just down the beach where the reception was set up.  Jan knelt to be at eye level with the guests.  The reception actually was at the spot Hank and Jan had each proposed to the other to get this engagement started.

The Jan saw Scott, and instantly knew why Hank had worn his Wasp costume.  Scott was wearing Cassie’s Stature uniform.  Since it, too, was treated with unstable molecules, it fit him properly.

“Scott, I’m so glad you’re here,” Jan said, hugging him.  “Cassie would be honored, and so proud.”

“I guess she wore my Ant-Man uniform at first, and called herself Ant-Girl and Giant-Girl, if only for about five minutes,” Scott said.  “I owed it to her.  And, besides, she would want to be here, and I wanted to wish you both well.”  Tears were starting to run down his cheeks.

Jan kissed Scott‘s moistened cheek.  “I miss her ,too,“ she said.  “But we both got back, and so many others have.  Maybe she will, too.“

“Maybe, but it’s not like we can count on that,” Scott said.  “Meanwhile, at least for today, I’m Stature.”

The line was finishing up when  Jan heard a familiar roar: boot rockets., and a lot of them.  She looked up and saw a whole set of Iron Man armors flying over.  One, the current armor, flew lower than the rest and saluted before zipping off.

To Jan’s surprise, Hank saluted back.  She looked at him quizzically.

Hank smiled up at Jan.  “It came from the thank-you note I wrote Tony,” Hank said.  I explained that I wasn’ ready for him to be at the wedding, but knew you wanted him here.  I suggested some kind of Iron Man flyover as a compromise.  As you could see, he ran with it.  I think the older armors were being operated either remotely or by preprogramming.”

Jan caressed her husband’s cheek.  “Thank you,” she said.

“Thank you for keeping at me about it,” Hank said.  “It was actually good to have him here.”

At the reception, Ken wasted no time approaching Jenny.  “I asked the band to play a slow dance,” he said.  “Will you dance with me?”

“Ken, I’m still in the suit,” Jenny said.  “It’s invisible, but you’ll still feel it.”

Mettle gazed down at Jenny.  “But I’ll see you,” he said.  “And you’re who I want to dance with.”

Jenny beamed.  “Let’s go,” she said.

After a bit, Sue asked Hank to dance, and Reed did the same with Jan.  Reed stretched up to match Jan’s height for the dance.

While they were dancing, Reed glanced at Sue and Hank.  “Does he know she fell in love with him when they were the Skrulls’ captives?”  Reed asked Jan.

Jan was shocked.  Sue believed she had kept this a secret from Reed.  “No, Hank doesn’t know,” the giantess said.  “When did you find out?”

Reed looked at Jan.  “I knew the moment Hank got the word of your death,” Mr. Fantastic said.  “I saw the look on her face, and I knew what had happened.  But I also knew from her touch and everything she did and said that she was still mine, so I let it ride.  I figured, if she needed to tell me something, she would.”

“You’re right on all counts, Reed,” Jan said.  "How did you know I knew?"

"It was the night you asked us to be your matron of honor and best man," Reed said.  "The way you phrased things -- 'someone who really loves both me and Hank' -- to Sue told me you knew, and Hank's lack of reaction told me he still didn't then."

Reed glanced back at Sue.  “I can see the love on her face,” he said, “but Hank clearly doesn’t know her cues.  You’re right.  He doesn’t know.”

“She loves you, Reed, and she’s deeply committed to you,” Jan said.  “Nothing’s going to change that.”

Reed smiled.  “I know,” he said, “and that’s all I need to know.  I love Susan, and I trust her, and I know those feelings are returned.  What more do I need?”

Jan smiled, eyes wide.  “No wonder Sue loves you,” Jan said.  “You’re something special, Reed Richards.”

“Actually, I’m fantastic,” Reed said.

Jan chuckled ruefully.  “But your jokes leave something to be desired,” she said.

Later, Hank and Jan were sitting together when William approached.  He again looked teen-aged.

“Dad, Mom,” William said.

Jan glanced at Hank.  He hadn’t seen William’s previous transformation.  After the initial shock, her husband was grinning, wide-eyed.

“You’re not why I did this, but now that I’m this age, there’s something I understand better, and I’ve got to tell you,” William said.  He took each of their hands. “I just want you to know, I understand how hard it has to have been for you to love me, with all that went on before, and knowing that you choose to love me anyway just makes me love you all the more.  Thank you both.”

“You’re welcome, Son,” Hank said.

“Yes, you’re welcome,” Jan said.

William went over to White Tiger, who was seated talking to X-23, as the band prepared to play slow dance.  “Excuse me, Ava,” he said, “May I have this dance?”

“William?” said Ava.

“Yes,” William said.  “It’s a gift I have.  This is what I’ll look like in a few months.”

“Months?” Ava repeated.

“Months,” William said.  “By then I hope to be enrolled here.  Will you dance with me?”

Ava stood up, looking up into the tall cat-teen’s eyes.  “Yes, I’ll dance with you,” she said.

Jan smiled.  “Hank, that son of ours is going to be dangerously sexy in a few months.”

“I see what you mean,”  Hank said.

Jan turned Hank’s head toward hers.  “Then again, so is his Dad,” she said.

Hank smiled sexily.  “And so is his Mom,” he said.  They leaned together and kissed.