- Text Size +

Hank and Jan were stretched out on the beach of their private island.  William had gone back to stay with the cat-people until they got back from their honeymoon.  Hank, with the help of Reed, had removed any potential spy tech from the island, although they found nothing conclusive.  The two of them were alone.



Hank took a sip of some fruit juice.  Out of respect for Jan, he was off alcohol -- not that he had ever been much of a drinker anyway.



“Happy, Honey?”  Hank asked.



“Mmm-hmmm,” Jan said, nodding and smiling.  She was wearing a skimpy black bikini.  “The weather here is perfect,” she said.



“That it is,” Hank said.



“Do you think Scott will be OK?”



Hank sighed.  “It’s hard to say,” he said.  “Losing a child is supposed to be the hardest thing to endure, and Scott’s having a rough time.  But becoming Stature seems to have helped him.”



Jan smiled.  “Like you becoming the Wasp helped you cope with my death?” she asked.



“Exactly,” Hank said. “Or, for that matter, like Cassie herself took from wearing Scott’s costume at first.”



Jan smiled.  “I’m really glad you gave Tony some way to plug into the wedding,” she said.



“Yeah, I have to admit, I am, too,” Hank said.



“Is there any chance this could lead to a reconciliation between you two?” Jan asked.



Hank shrugged.  “I don’t know.  I’m still having a hard time sorting all my feelings out on this, and that’s not my strong suit.”



“Well , at least it’s a step in the right direction,” Jan said.



“Yeah, I guess so,” said Hank.



Jan looked over at Hank.  She was still working on getting used to being twice his height.  “You know, my height range may shift again, if someone’s life depends on me being in that range,” she said.



“I know,” Hank said.  “That’s why I usually prefer science to magic;  science is more predictable.  Still, I can’t diss magic too much.  It got you back to me.  Besides, that was why I threw ‘for bigger or for smaller‘ into my vows at the last minute.”



“I thought that was an ad lib,” Jan said.



Then she rolled toward him and smiled.   “So, what game do you want to play now?”  she asked.



“I seem to recall you were really anxious for one game in particular that we haven’t been able to play at the campus,” Hank said.  “The Giant and the Fairy Princess, as I recall.”



Jan flicked hair over her ear.  “You have a good memory,” she said.  She turned serious, “You know, the scale won’t be quite the same as the old days.”



Hank smiled back at her.  “So what?  These are our new days.  Let’s enjoy who we are and what we have now.”



“Yes, let’s,” Jan said.  She willed her retractable wings to pop out.  “You ready?” she asked.



Hank smiled as he started to grow to his maximum size as a giant.  “Going up,” he said.



Jan smiled at her husband.  Yes, we are, she thought.