- Text Size +

The next morning brought a really surreal moment for Jan: while Hank was preparing for Tigra’s Avengers memorial service at the academy, Jan needed to work on preparations for their wedding.



Hank and Jan had finished a game of Hank the Mountain-Climber, the Monsoon version.  Jan was done toweling down after her shower and had put on her robe, her nightmare of the night before almost forgotten.



Then came the knock at the door.  “I’ll get it, Lover,” Jan said.



“Good,” she heard Hank say.  She smiled.  The game had worn him out.



Jan opened the door to find Lightspeed.  “Hi, Julie,” Jan said.  “What’s up?”



“This package came for you,” Julie Power said.  “It looks like the one you told us to keep an eye out for.”



Jan looked at it.  “You’re right,” the adult said.



“Can I ask what’s in it?” Julie asked.



Jan smiled.  “A surprise for Jenny,” she said.  “Thanks, Julie,”



Julie did a half-salute, half-wave.  “No problem,” she said.  “See ya.”  Then she was gone in a blur.



“Hank!  Jenny’s wedding gear came!” Jan called.



“Oh, good,” said Hank.



Before Jan could open the package, Hank’s cell phone, sitting on the table by the front door, rang.  “I’ll get it,” she said.



Jan picked up the phone and answered it.  “Hello, Pym residence,” she said, somewhat playfully.



“Oh, Jan,” said a familiar voice.  “I was calling Hank.”



“Scott!” Jan said.  “Hank told me you were back, too.  I’m so sorry about Cassie.”



Like Jan, Scott Lang, the second Ant-Man, had recently come back from the dead, but his return had come at the cost of the lives of several Young Avengers, including Scott’s daughter, Cassie Lang, Stature.



“From my perspective, I was never gone,” Scott said.  “The world just changed.”



“It’s the same for me,” Jan said.



“Jan, I really want to talk to Hank,” Scott said.  “Can you please put him on?”



“Sure,” said Jan.  “Are you coming to the wedding?”



“I’m not coming to the wedding or the funeral,” Scott said.  “Please put Hank on.”



“Oh, Scott, I’m sorry to hear that,” Jan said.  “Can I try to change your mind?  Hank and I really want you here. It won’t be the same without --”



“Jan, I don’t want to talk to you!” Scott yelled.



“Scott!  What --”



“Jan, you’re just … another reminder of what I lost,” Scott snapped.  “My Cassie is dead.  I became Ant-Man to save Cassie’s life when she was sick.  Now she’s dead because of Ant-Man.  You’re back alive, I’m alive when I should be dead and my little girl …”  Jan heard Scott sobbing over the phone.  “Seeing you as a giantess … the last one I saw was Cassie, just before … I can’t.  I just can’t.  Please let me talk to Hank.”



“OK,” Jan said quietly.  She was already walking to the bedroom, where Hank was in his robe.  “Here’s Hank,” she said quietly.  She passed the phone.  “Scott Lang,” she said.



Hank took the phone.  “Scott, what’s going on?  Actually, I could hear you yelling from here, and I’m in a room down the hall from where Jan was at the time.  Yes.  But you bought her years;  she was a kid when you became Ant-Man, and so many people owe their lives to Stature.  Scott, give me a minute, so we can talk.”



Hank muted the phone and looked up at Jan.  “Honey, why don’t you take Jenny her package?  It may take awhile to talk this through with Scott, and it may be easier if I can do it alone.”



Jan nodded.  “I hope I didn’t do anything wrong.”



Hank smiled.  “You shouldn’t have to apologize for being alive, and I won’t let anyone put you in that position.  But Scott’s got a problem I think I can help with.”



Jan nodded.  “Right,” she said.  “Good luck.”



Jan went down the hall and got out a Wasp uniform.  She grabbed the package and headed to Jenny’s dorm room.



Jenny Takeda looked forward to Jan’s visits to the room.  Since Jan was uniquely immune to the toxins Jenny’s body constantly emitted, so Jan was the only one with whom Jenny could have contact outside the Hazmat containment suit.  Jenny had been an avid runner before her powers, and she and Jan would run together on adjoining treadmills in her room.  Jan would change in the decontamination area at the entrance to Jenny’s room, come in and run, then change back into her uncontaminated clothes.  They would also talk girl talk and just connect.  Jenny was just so glad to have a human being she could touch without sickening or killing the person, and Jan gave her hope for a cure.  For Jan, Jenny had been the person who hugged her when she felt unloved during the period right after the Wasp returned to life on Earth.



Jan spoke into the intercom to Jenny.  “Hey, Little Sis!  The package arrived!”



“Cool!” said Jenny.  “Come on in!”



Jan entered the decon room, changed and entered Jenny’s room, waving the package.  “Here you go,” she said.



Jenny grabbed it and opened it.  Inside was a suit with a helmet similar to the one she wore as Hazmat, but hot pink instead of yellow.  The suit itself was much thinner than the one she normally wore, and looked smaller.



Jenny looked doubtfully at Jan.  “Won’t this be kind of … form-fitting?” the girl asked.



“It needs to be,” Jan said.  “All my bridesmaids are wearing hot pink sheath dresses, the same color as this suit.  All my bridesmaids.”



“I’m wearing a dress over this?” Jenny said.



“You’d better be,” Jan said.  “This will be invisible.”



Jenny’s head jerked in surprise.  “Invisible?”



Jan nodded.  “Reed Richards built tech into the suit that will allow a charge from Sue Richards’ invisibility powers to hold in the suit for about six to eight hours, making the suit invisible.  Sue’s going to charge it right before the wedding.”



Jenny’s jaw slowly dropped.  “You mean … I’ll get to look … normal?”



Jan smiled.  “Everyone will get to see your beautiful face for a change,” she said.  “Even Ken.  I mean, you’ll still be in the suit.  That’s why it’s so thin.  Hank used some Pym particles to make it so thin.  It’s sturdier than it looks, but won’t be much good in combat, and I wouldn’t try to wear it too much before the wedding.  We can’t guarantee how long it will hold up.  That’s actually why it’s the same color as the dress; if something goes wrong, you’ll still fit in.”



Jenny hugged Jan.  “Thank you!” she said.  “And I’ll thank Dr. Pym and the Richardses, too.”



“You’re welcome,” Jan said.



Jenny looked at the suit again.  “You really think I need to worry about combat at the wedding?”



Jan’s expression became distant.  “It happens a lot at superhero weddings,” she said.  “When I married Hank the first time, the Ringmaster and his Circus of Crime crashed it.”



“I know,” Jenny said.  “Everybody here knows.  The day Hank got you back was your anniversary, and he was so ticked when that bunch turned up and kept him from part of his time to look for you, he beat the snot out of ‘em.  They were taking away the only way he had of having time with you, or so he thought.”



Jenny realized that Jan’s massive shoulders were sagging.  “What’s wrong, Big Sis?” the teen asked.



“I ... shouldn’t ask you this,” Jan said.  “You’re just a kid.  But, you’re also my friend, and, with Tigra gone, there’s no other woman here to talk to.”



“What is it?”



Jan looked up.  “Am I doing the right thing here?  I mean, Hank was always older than me, and I didn’t age while I was dead, and he aged about twice as many years as passed.  He told me I’d been gone months when I first got back, but it was years, not months.”



Jenny patted Jan’s shoulder.  “You told me you knew Hank was the man for you the first moment you saw him, when you were in college,” the teen said.  “You’ve still got all your shared experiences.”  She smiled.  “Besides, what older guy doesn’t want a hot young trophy wife?”



Jan laughed, but there was no joy in it.  “But, Jenny, we’ve messed this relationship up so badly before.  Hank gets most of the blame, but it takes two people to screw things up this badly, and I did my share.  Even with the first wedding.  Hank was out of his mind, and I married him and held him to it.  I know he said he wanted to and stuck with it, but then, when his madness turned against me with a slap of his hand once -- just once -- I bolted.  I’m a super-heroine, and Avenger, for God’s sake!  I could have stood up to him.  Even after leaving him, I had the money to try to get him help, but I didn’t.  I just dumped him.  I married him because he was out of his mind, and then I left him because he was out of his mind. And he proposed to me again, and I was stupid enough to turn him down.”



Then Jan began to sob.  “You remember how I knew who he was, when he went mad and became Yellowjacket the first time?” the woman asked.



Jenny smiled at the romance she heard in the story.  “When  he had everyone fooled -- even, up to that point, you -- you knew him by his kiss.”



“One kiss,” Jan said, holding up her index finger.  “That sounds all romantic, but I let that Skrull impostor kiss me and even share my bed, and I never knew it wasn’t Hank.” Jan sobbed again.  “Jenny, I let him down so many times, and he had his share of troubles, too.  I love him so much, and I want to marry him, but …” Jan’s voice trailed off into weeping.



Jenny put her arms around her gigantic friend as best she could.  She got her face in front of Jan’s.  “You love him, right?”



Jan nodded.



“Believe me, we all see that here,” Jenny said.  “And we all see how much he loves you.  You two light up when the other is there, and more so since you’ve really gotten back together.  Jan, I only know what my mom and dad always said.  They said marriage takes hard work, and that it’s sweeter when you really know each other.  You and Hank have a lot of years under your belts, and you know each others strengths and weaknesses so well that you’ll know what to work on.  Are you willing to do the work?”



“Absolutely,” Jan said, sniffling.



“Is Hank?” Jenny asked.



Jan smiled, now starting to look really happy.  “I think so,” she said.



“Then you’re doing the right thing,” she said.



Jan hugged the teen. “Thanks, Little Sis,” the giantess said.



“No problem, Big Sis,” Jenny said.



“Think we still have time for a short run?” Jan asked.



“Absolutely,” Jenny said.  “Let’s hit the treadmills.”



After Jan had left Jenny’s room, she returned to Hank’s apartment.  She found Hank sipping a cup of coffee.  “Jenny like the suit?” he asked.



“She loves it,” Jan said.  “She said she’ll thank you later.  How’s Scott?”



“Still deeply grieving,” Hank said.  “He won’t be here for the memorial service -- he didn’t know Tigra that well -- but he’s coming to the wedding.”



Jan’s eyes widened.  “That’s great,” she said.  “How on Earth did you manage that?”



Hank finished another sip of coffee.  “A suggestion from shared experience,’ he said.  “You’ll see on the day.”



Jan bent down and kissed Hank’s cheek.  “You are wonderful, Lover,” she said.



“You’re not so bad yourself,” Hank said.  “Um, do you think we’ll have some folks in super-suits at the wedding?”



Jan shrugged.  “Sure,” she said.  “Some will be bound to.  Why do you ask?”



“Think it would be all right if I wore one of my old ones?” Hank asked.  “I think it might help Scott.”



Jan’s brow furrowed.  “What you wear is up to you,” she said lightly.  “Just show up, please.”



Hank smiled.  “Not even an alien army is going to keep me away,” he said.



Jan headed back to get on a uniform for the class she was to teach.  As she did, she puzzled over one of Hank’s comments.  How could one of his uniforms help Scott Lang?