- Text Size +

The day of the memorial service was a bit of a zoo.  Media were outside the school compound as Avengers and friends arrived in droves.  Students were also in the mix, some marveling at how many heroes were here.



Only a few people were slated to speak.  Hank, of course, was one.  So was Jan, as the person who brought Greer into the Avengers.  X-23 had asked to speak, as had Lyra.  They had learned that Greer had been Presbyterian before she became Tigra, and had convinced a Presbyterian pastor to officiate both at the memorial and at the upcoming wedding, since Hank and Jan had no ties to anyone else who could officiate a wedding at present.



Hank put on a suit and tie while Jan helped William put one on.  It was a challenge buttoning his shirt over his heavy fur, but he cooperated.



“I hate these things,” Hank said as he fiddled with his tie.



“Most men hate neckties,” Jan said.



“Not neckties,” Hank said.  “Memorial services.  This si the second one I’ve spoken at for someone I’ve loved.  The last was yours, which … didn’t go so well.  I hope I don’t have any more to speak at -- or attend, for that matter -- for a long time.”



Jan, who was now standing, leaned down and kissed her beloved.  “Me, too, Lover,” she said.



“Am I supposed to say something at the service today?” William asked.



Jan patted the boy’s shoulder.  “Only if you want to, Will,” she said.  “Do you want to?”



“I don’t know,” he said.



Hank knelt down by the boy.  “Well, you can even decide during the ceremony.  Just let us know.  OK?”



William nodded.   “OK.”



Hank, Jan and William sat at the front of the room as the noteworthies came through.  Most surviving Avengers were there, especially those who fought beside Greer for any length of time or in key situations.



A tense moment came when Tony Stark came through the line.  He offered his hand to Hank, who didn’t take it.  “Hank, I’m really sorry … about Greer,” Tony said.



“So am I,” Hank said.



When he got to Jan, she hugged him tightly.  “It’s good to see you, Tony,” Jan said.  “Thanks for coming.”



“I couldn’t stay away,” he said.  He glanced at Hank, who was pointedly avoiding Tony by looking at the next person in line.



“He’s still really hurting,” Jan said.



“I … guess that makes sense,” Tony said.  “Um, can I talk to you for just a moment afterward?  Away from Hank”



“Sure,” said Jan.  “But I’m off the market.”



Tony smiled.  “Much as I wish it was, it’s not about that,” he said.



Jan introduced Tony to William, which went uneventfully.



During the service, X-23 spoke of Tigra as a teacher, while Lyra talked about her warrior spirit.  Jan  spoke of the woman who started as a stranger and became her friend.



Jan’s eyes teared up as she continued.  “Greer loved Hank and me enough to step aside when I came back,” the Wasp said.  “She was more worried about what was best for us than herself, and trusted us enough to put her William in our care.  She was really a better friend than I deserved, and I miss her.”  She stepped down, using a handkerchief to wipe away tears.



Hank stood up, looking awkward for a moment.  “Greer was the best,” he said.  “She was a terrific Avenger and teacher, and she would want me to say a terrific girlfriend -- which she was.  She loved me enough to let me go, which can’t have been easy for her.  She died saving others. I am proud she was in my life.”



William looked up at Jan.  “Can I say something?  I want to.”



Jan nodded.  “Go on up,” she said.



William walked up, passing Hank.  “You did good, Papa,” the boy said.



Hank smiled as the boy went to the podium.



William stood beside the podium, so he could see.  “My Mama was the Tigra,” he said.  “The Tigra always comes back.  But it doesn’t always come back the same as when it left.  It’s like Mama Jan, who could shrink to bug size when she died, but now is a giant.  My Mama loved me, and I miss her a lot.  But she died the kind of death the Tigra should die, saving other people.  And she’ll be back, or some part of her will.  And meanwhile, she’ll live in my heart, and the hearts of everyone who loved her.”



The boy stepped down and rejoined Hank and Jan.  Hank patted Williams’ shoulder.  “You did good, Son,” the man said.



Jan hugged the boy.  “Your mamas -- both of us -- are proud of you,” she said.



As people were leaving, Hank and Jan were surprised by a boisterous greeting.  “Fair Janet!” came a booming, familiar voice.



“Hercules!” Jan shouted.  She ran toward him, working to remember that his strength had diminished and hers greatly increased.  She hugged him as tightly as she dared.



“Oh, Herc, it’s so good to see you!” Jan said.  “When did you get here?”



“Just as the service started,” the demigod said.  “Janet, ‘tis so good to see thee again!  ‘Tis good to see my efforts in Erebus worked.”



Hank had approached, with William talking to others nearby.  “Erebus?” he said.  “What’s that?”



“It’s one of the realms of the dead in Greco-Roman mythology,” Jan said.  Then she looked at Hank.  “How do I know that?” she said.  “I was terrible in that part of classical studies in college.”  She turned back to Hercules.  “But I’ve never been in Erebus, Herc.”



“Ah, thou rememberest not now, but thou wast there,” Hercules said.  “I was on a mission there with Amadeus Cho when we found thee there, gambling, trying to win thy way back to life because of thine unfinished business.  Scott Lang was there, too, but twas thee I approached.”



“You … talked to me there?” Jan said.



“Aye, but thou took no notice of me,” Herc said.  “Not surprising, really.  I was alive, and thou weren’t, but thou wast as driven as ever I have seen friend Henry, here.  Thou just kept playing, knowing the game was rigged, but working to get back to this life.” He chuckled.  “And thou just kept complaining about who had already gotten out.”



Jan’s eyes widened in realization.  “Bucky,” she said.  “Bucky Barnes.  I was .. Ranting that they let out Bucky Barnes.”



Hercules beamed.  “Aye! Thou dost remember!”



“Wait,” said Hank.  “Herc, you said your efforts in Erebus worked.  What did you mean by that?”



“Well, I was on a mission to free another from death at the time I saw Janet, so I could not act then,” Hercules said.  “But I was able to … make some arrangements about the machine Janet was playing.  It took time and some guile, but the work was done.”



“Arrangements?” Jan said faintly.



Hercules smiled up at her.  “Now, Janet,” he said, “thou knowest I have always hated a rigged game.”



“When … how …” Jan said.



“I believe thou wast released on … why, as I think of it, twas on thine old wedding anniversary day.”



Jan could no longer contain herself.  She screamed in shock and joy, then hugged Hercules, holding back just enough to keep from truly hurting him.  “Herc!  You saved my life!  You brought me back to life!”  she shouted, kissing the demigod.



“Well, I had a hand in it,” Herc said.  “Thou mayest express more such gratitude, if thou wishest.”



Hank grabbed Herc’s arm.  Smiling, he said in mock anger, “Hey, watch it there, buddy.  She’s my fiancee, you know.”



“And glad I am for thee both,” the demigod said.



“But, Herc, it sounds like you knew about this some time before you got things done,” Hank said.  “Why didn’t you tell me about it before this?”



Hercules put a massive hand on Hank’s shoulder.  “Friend Henry, if I had told thee, what wouldst thou have done?”



Hank sighed as he realized the answer to his own question.  “I’d have gone charging in to try to get Jan out,” he said.



“And most likely gotten thyself killed in the process,” Herc said.  “This way took longer, but thou must agree, is more eminently satisfying.”



Jan looked down at Hank.  “Lover, everyone else involved in saving me is in the wedding party.  We need Herc to be there, too.”  She looked to Hercules.  “You are coming to the wedding, right?”



“Of course!” Herc said.  “I lovest a party even more than I hatest a rigged game!”



“I agree, of course, but it’s kind of late to add a groomsman,” Hank said.



“That’s not what I had in mind,” Jan said.  “she turned to Hercules.  “Herc, in our weddings there’s a tradition of the father of the bride giving away the bride to the groom during the ceremony.  My father died before I became the Wasp.  Actually, avenging his death was the original reason I became the Wasp.  My first wedding was a hurry-up affair, just this side of an elopement.  You sort of ‘fathered’ my return.  Will you give me away during the ceremony?”



Hercules beamed.  “Twould be my honor,” he said, hugging Jan.



“Then that’s settled,” Hank said.  “Welcome aboard, ‘Dad.’”



Later, while Hank was with William at the meal for those in attendance, Jan met Tony outside.



“I haven’t gotten my invitation to the wedding,” Tony said.



“I haven’t sent one,” Jan said.  “I’m sorry, Tony.  I want to invite you, but Hank won’t let me.”



Tony momentarily closed his eyes.  “I’m not surprised.”



“Are you ever?” Jan asked.



Tony chuckled.  “Sometimes,” he said.  “Look, Jan, I expect not to be at the wedding, so I wanted to give you this now.”  He handed her an envelope.  “I know a funeral is a crummy time for a wedding gift, but this is pretty much my only chance.”



“Thank you, Tony,” Jan said.  “I’ll work on Hank, but I can’t promise anything.”



“I understand,” Tony said.  “Look, I’m making Hank uncomfortable, and that seems to be spilling over to Tigra’s son.  I’m going to take off.”



Gently, Jan scooped Tony up and hugged him.  “Take care of yourself, Handsome.”



Tony looked around, making sure no one and nothing was watching.  He kissed Jan’s cheek.  “You, too, Gorgeous,” he said.  “And you might want to open that gift sooner, rather than later.  It’s one I hope you can use right after the wedding.”



Once Jan put him down, Tony turned and walked away.  She sighed as she watched him.  He didn’t look back.