- Text Size +

The plane ride was like all other plane rides, it sucked.  The trip was delayed for a couple of hours meaning you and your family were stuck in the airport longer than you wanted to. Why the planes were delayed no one knows.  You couldn’t help but think it was a game the airport plays with people.  A bunch of people sitting in chairs drinking and saying, “Hey watch me delay this flight because I feel like it.”  Or maybe rich people pay the airport to delay their flights so they can either make it on time or have an excuse to stay away from home longer.  Whatever the reason is you just wish someone would tell you why.

So after a couple of hours at the airport you and your family final get on the plane and guess who is behind you?  That’s right that kid that always kicks the seat and talks really loud.  It took all your self-control to not turn around punch the parents, because you would never hit a child… or would you? 

As if all the bad luck in the world was drawn toward you, because when you landed they lost your luggage.  Sarah told you they would get you some clothes when they get to her parents’ house, but it wasn’t the clothes it was the principle that they lost your luggage.  Could it get any worse?  Oh boy it could.  You had to get a rental car to drive to the house, and guess what… they don’t have the car you purchased.  Your patience was running thin and you were about to snap.  The only thing that kept your composer was your wife and kid was with you.

Taking a deep breathe you calmed down and took the piece of crap minivan.  So you final got to the house, after traffic of course, where you were greeted by Sarah’s parents.  Then there was the big shocker that neither of you were prepared for, the house was crowded.  Apparently when Sarah’s parents heard about them spend a few weeks with them they decided to invite the whole family over too.  So Sarah’s brother, sisters, cousins, uncles and aunts were staying in town.  Some were staying in the house which had five rooms vacant for guest, while others were staying in hotels.

You let out a soft growl at the noise that was already spilling out of the house and greeting you on the door steps.  This was exactly what you didn’t want to do.  You wanted to spend some time with your father and mother in-laws, instead you got little kids running around screaming and a bunch of people you probably meet once in your life who you really don’t know.  You were going to have a long couple of weeks.

“Mom, Dad,” Sarah said as she gave each of them a hug.

“Sarah!”  Everyone shouted as she entered the house.  She was smiling and greeting everyone.

You and Mary were outside together; she was looking slightly scared and stood behind you.  You look down at her, “Well shall we?”  You reached out your hand which she grabbed and held on tight.

The room was stiffing hot from everyone staying in one room.  You swear you smelt smoke; it must be from one of Sarah’s relatives.  You barely took a couple of steps in before a child bumped into you.  The kid had to be about Mary’s age or older, he didn’t say sorry or anything before he ran after the other group of kids about his age.  It looked like they were playing tag.  You were on the last straw and you needed room to calm down before you blew up. 

You walked over to Sarah’s parents and greeted them nicely and asked if there was a spot to put their luggage, not yours of course.  Sarah’s mom, Becky pointed down the hallway and said the third door on the left.  You thanked her and took the luggage to the room with Mary following behind you, still nervous.  The moment you walked into the room you let out a groan.  The room was small with one bed and a sleeping bag.  You shouldn’t have expected more but still this was crazy small.  With the sleeping bag and bed in the room there was just enough room for you and Mary to stand there with the luggage.

“It’s kinda small daddy.”

You let out a laugh, “Yeah, yeah it is.  Well let’s get unpacked.”  You didn’t rush; no need to go out into that chaos and get mad at everyone.  So you took your time unpacking Sarah’s and Mary’s stuff while Mary helped.  When you were done you sat on the bed and took a couple of breaths, to get your composer set and went to go greet your relatives.

You walked into the sea of people there had to be about 30 of them not counting the endless supply of kids running circles around the parents shout: “Your it,” “No I’m not”, and “Yes you are.” 

“You want to go meet your cousins,” you ask Mary.

She shyly shook her head no.

You smiled at her, “Maybe latter?”

She nodded. 

You glanced around and you saw Sarah’s Uncle Charlie, a big round fellow sitting on the couch with a couple of other men drink a beer and watching T.V.  You didn’t really know any of the men or Charlie much, he asked for a couple of grand to pay of some debts.  Since he was related you paid for them and never heard from him again. 

He glanced over toward you and looked away but it was too late.  He got up and walked over to you, “Hey, Mikey how’s it going?”

“It’s going good-”

“Yeah hey there this thing I need to ask you, and I was like ‘hey were family so I might as well ask’.  I mean we are practically related right?  So I was like hey why not ask your favorite relative to borrow a couple grand, and pay him back latter.  Then I was wondering who to ask and then I saw you.  Now I don’t want you to feel obligated or anything but what do you say, can you spare a relative a couple Gs?”

His breathe was horrible and you didn’t want to smell it anymore.  You just nodded and said sure.

“Really?  Thanks and don’t worry ill pay you back.  You can write me a check sometime this week and get this settled.”  He walked away not even greeting his niece.  You really hated him.  You went and wrote the check knowing he would bother you every day until you did so might as well do that. 

After that you went back into the swarming mass of talking and drinking relatives and found Sarah sitting at a table chatting away with her mom, dad, bother, two sisters, and a few others you didn’t know.

“Oh hey Mike,” Sarah said and everyone else followed suit.

“Hey babe,” you gave her a quick peck on the cheek.  Sarah picked up Mary and put her on her lap.

Becky smiled and waved at Mary from across the table, “Wow someone is getting big.  I remember you were about this high,” she gestured with her hands, “last time I saw you.”  Everyone chuckled and Mary smiled at her Grandma.

“Sarah I’m going to leave for a bit and get some clothes for the next few days.”

“What for,” Chuck, Sarah’s dad, asked.

“Oh yeah, Mike lost his luggage at the airport,” Sarah explained.

“Ohhh you poor dear.  You could borrow some clothes from Chuck if you want.”  Becky replied.

You grinned at them, “Becky I don’t think I would fit in his clothes.”

Becky blushed when she realized that you were a couple of feet taller than Chuck.  Everyone at the table laughed including your shy daughter.  It made you glad that she could be around some people that can make her happy unlike those like Charlie.

“Well you want me to come with you?” Sarah asked.

“Nah you have fun I’ll be back in a bit.”

With that being said you drove off in the minivan and drove around town.  You passed a small park and took note of it.  Mary loved to play at the park at home and you know she would love this one.  You went to a couple of stores and got some clothes at the mall when you came across Dave and Terra. 

“Hey!!” Dave shouted across the mall.

You turned your head and gave a wave.  You all walked to the food court and got some food to eat and catch up on each other’s lives.  Terra had a slightly rounded belly showing she was a about five or six months due for their first child.

“So Dave what are you going to name the kid?”

“I’m think Sam or Sammy, for my friend who saved my life,” he said with hint of sorrow.  Terra reached out and rubbed his arm to make him feel better.

“Yeah… it’s been so long since then.”

“Well Mike how’s the family?” Terra asked.

“Ha!  That’s a good one.  I barely even know half of them and they have the nerve to ask for cash because I was on T.V.  I wish instead of lying about it just say, ‘hey give me some cash’.  They are trying to be slick about it but really, like I don’t know I’m not being paid back.”

“Well if you need a place to stay you are always welcome to stay with us,” Dave suggested.

“Thanks, but I couldn’t do that to Sarah.  She loves her family and Mary doesn’t know any of them that well so this could be good for her.”

“Speaking of Mary how is she doing?” Terra asked.

You smiled, “Great.  She is really smart; got straight A’s this year in school even though it is first grade.  She is a little shy around people but the whole classroom loves her.  I couldn’t be prouder of her.”

After talking for a couple of hours you headed home.  Maybe you might take up the offer of staying with Dave and Terra.  They have plenty of room for your family.  You thought better of it as you pulled up.  You waked inside and things were just as bad as they were when you left.  No one has calmed down since you left and you swear the noise increased.  You quickly put the clothes away and went to go see your wife.  She was eating a burger and still talking with her family.  A few new faces were at the table but everyone was still where they were. 

You pulled out a free seat and took Mary of Sarah’s lap.  Mary was looking kind of tired.  She kept dozing in and out making you feel tired too.  Sarah noticed and told everyone that they were going to turn in after such a long day.  They all said good night as you, Mary, and Sarah head to bed.  When you got to your room you tucked Mary into the bed.

“Wait where are you going to sleep,” Sarah asked.

“Right here,” you replied as you were already getting in the sleeping bag.

“You can’t sleep there on the floor.”

“The bed is too small for all three of us; I won’t force Mary to sleep on the floor.  Beside I have slept in worse places before.”

Sarah didn’t miss the note in your voice.  Memories of what transpired the torture you had to endure came back.  Before you could relive those moments Sarah slipped in the sleeping bag with you.

“What?” you asked.

“Well I’m not letting you sleep by yourself,” she said firmly.

You smiled at her and pulled her in for a kiss.  Her lips felt great and just what you need after a long day.  The world melted around you and you thought of making love when there was movement above, as Mary rolled over in her sleep. 

Sarah looked at you with those beautiful eyes that shined in the night.  “Good night,” she whisper and turned over so her back was pushed up against your body.  You started to stroke her hair as she slowly fell asleep.  You soon followed suit.