- Text Size +
Dianne came down with the disease on the second Tuesday of the month. Ken, her boyfriend, immediately rushed her to the hospital, but they were turned away before they even got into the parking lot. There was total pandemonium all across the area. Nobody was getting into the hospital. All Ken could do is try and make Dianne comfortable as the worst of the Flu bug hit her. He was always by her side, and always fearing she would die.

This never happened. She contracted Type 1. Dianne became a nervous wreck.

“Shh, it’s ok,” Ken said, holding her against his chest, his steady heartbeat southing her and calming her down. “I love you, I’ll never leave you, and I’ll always be here for you,” he assured her.

“Promise,” Dianne asked with a sniffle.

“I swear.”

That was two months ago, and Ken had kept his promise. The two remained very much in love, and still maintained a very good relationship. However, every day from 8:30am to 9:00pm, Ken left for work to support them. Yes, large amounts of the population had died out, and yes there was chaos and pandemonium for about a week or so, however, it didn’t take too long before structures returned to normal, albeit on a much smaller scale now. After all, the whole world didn’t die/shrink. Just most of it.

“I have to go now sweetie,” Ken said, kissing Dianne as he passed her on the kitchen counter.

“Alright--I’ll see you when you get back,” she said, embracing him as best she could while his head was level with her.

With that, Ken grabbed his suitcase and headed out the door, leaving Dianne to wonder what to do for the rest of the day. She’s spent much of her time listening to CD’s. Reel Big Fish, mostly. She would get so bored during the day. At first, listening to music and merely exploring the apartment was more than enough to keep her occupied. After all, at her new height, the apartment was like a brand new place. But soon that got boring and she found herself doing the one thing she promised herself she would never do: watching daytime TV. Her thoughts were plagued all day by what Oprah would talk about next, and why Ramido had to die leaving Isabella with his unborn child--well they weren’t sure if it was his, but Ramido didn’t care, he promised he would love it even if it belonged to Jason.

“Good god, I’ve sunk low,” Dianne said with a sigh. More like shrunk low she thought with a laugh. A commercial came on for some sort of cleaning product and Dianne muted the TV. Commercials were always louder than the program itself. They wanna make sure we hear it, I suppose. But with the TV muted, Dianne was hearing another sound now. A sort of wailing noise.

Dianne looked around. It wasn’t coming from her apartment--sounded like it was coming from the apartment next door. She scurried across the apartment, the sound of the wailing man growing louder and louder. She grew worried. Somebody was clearly in pain. She ran to the door of her apartment, and shimmied under it. She ran to apartment door next to hers and crawled into it. What she saw would haunt her dreams for the rest of her life.