- Text Size +
Story: 12 Carry on my Wayward Son

The news broadcasts played over and over in his head. “Billions dead…” “Global epidemic…” “The End of the World…”

He couldn’t help but think that maybe it was the end of the world. “And the seven vials were opened…” sounds a hell of a lot like the plague. Stu had been walking for weeks. Everywhere he went he saw the same things. Dead bodies, traffic jams, vultures pecking the eyes out of the corpses. Every city was a ghost town. Every street was a pile up of cars, all heading to the same destination: oblivion. Car crashes towards the end of the plague’s first wave were not uncommon--as people shrank too small they could no longer control the hulking beasts and such crashes were imminent.

Every time he saw a body, every time he saw a child in the street wondering where its mother was at, every time he heard the vultures swooping overhead, Stu thought one thing: “It’s all your fault.”

At the moment Stu was somewhere in the mid west--he had left the borders of Texas a few days ago, so he could only assume he was in Kansas. He walked down the street, watching the mayhem and destruction. The whole city was frozen in time, showing what happened as the world ended. A man in a white Cadillac hit a woman as he swerved off the road. Damn shame. She was immune to the disease… but not immune to a 2 ton vehicle plummeting into her at 60mph.

A little girl sat in the middle of the side walk, eyes rolled back in her head. Her mother’s arms were wrapped around her, eyes also rolled back. Both choked to death on their own mucus at roughly half their original height--assuming they were of average or larger height before they shrunk.

The more Stu walked the more he realized what had to be done. He looked around until he found a place that would suffice. The Dog Pound. The door was wide open--a corpse acting as an impromptu doorstop. Stu walked by apathetically. He had a task and he wasn’t going to weep until it was completed.

He walked down the halls--a few animals were shrunken and running around. Most of them were dead in their cages. But in the back he heard an angry, low, guttural growl. He knew this was what he was looking for. He walked until he found a large cage labeled “Keep Sedated At All Times”. Inside he could see--through the cracks in the cage--a large dog, apparently vicious. Stu approached the cage, eyes closed, hands held in prayer.

“ Our Father which art in Heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come,
Thy Will be done,
In Earth, As it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread,
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive them that trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
[For Thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory,
For ever and ever.]
Amen.]”

Stu opened his eyes. While reciting the Lord’s Prayer, the growling from the dog stopped. When he opened his eyes, he was already in the box. He looked at the dog, and it looked back at him. Stu nodded, and closed his eyes again. He was torn to pieces within the next 3 seconds.