- Text Size +
It was odd. Very odd. Dianne hadn’t felt like this since she and Ken first started dating. He was so loving. It was amazing the spark this plague sent into their relationship. Perhaps it was the fact that the plague reminded them of just how precious life truly was, or perhaps it was because there were less people around to tempt them to cheat on each other, but whatever it was it worked. Dianne and Ken fell in love even more so, and their sex life (which before the plague was almost non-existent at times) had picked up very quickly. They did a turn system. Every other night the other serviced the one who serviced last night first, and then vice versa. Depending on what mood the other participant was in, returning the favor might not even be necessary until the next morning. But we’re getting off topic. While Dianne and Ken’s blossoming relationship is certainly a thing of interest, we’ll have time to touch up on that later. For now, let’s focus on the murder she witnessed.

After witnessing the murder of Mr. West, Dianne ran back to the apartment and hid underneath the couch until Ken came home. He came home tired and wanting to go to bed when Dianne ran out from under the couch screaming bloody murder. After explaining everything to Ken, he threw his coat on and they rushed out the door and drove to the NYPD. There Dianne told them everything she witnessed. It would be enough to put Screwy Louie away for good, according to the DA. Since then, Dianne and Ken have had police officers guarding their house to prevent any Mafioso figures from silencing the little witness.

At the moment, Ken was preparing dinner while Dianne channel surfed. For about three weeks, only three channels have been available: The snow channel, the rainbow channel, and the blue ocean channel. Still, not much else to do. Nothing on the radio except static, weird beeping noises, and the occasional loony that got his hands on a broadcast station.

“What are we having tonight, Ken,” Dianne asked, staring at the moving rainbow image.

“Pasta putenesco. Most popular dish on Post Apocalyptic New York,” he said with a smile.

“Sounds good. When will it be ready?”

“Within the hour, Dianne.”

There was a knock at the door. Ken went to answer it, but the door swung open before he could. A tall man in a suit stepped through the door.

“Is this the home of Dianne and Ken Ryan?”

“Yes, it is. Who are you,” Ken asked, grabbing a knife from the kitchen. They were high up on the mafia’s hit list. One could never bee too careful.

“I’m Special Agent Brown. I’m heading the case against the DeSoto Crime Family. I’m here to speak to Dianne Ryan.”

“That’s me,” Dianne said, climbing onto the backrest of the couch so she could be seen. Agent Brown walked over to her and knelt down so his face was level with her.

“Mrs. Ryan, here’s the situation. New York currently has no certified judges within the city. As I’m sure you noticed, civilization here is only just getting back on its feet.”

“Yes, that’s true. Only the very basics are running--not even some of those.”

“Correct. DC is, however, already up and running almost like it was before the plague. No electricity still, but we have the basics up and we have the radios up and running. We also have a Judge. He’s the only judge we know of so far, and in order for this trial to proceed, we feel it is essential that you and your husband be taken to DC to act as witnesses.”

“What?”

“Your testimony will be vital in bringing down the DeSoto Crime Family. Please, Mrs. Ryan, we need you to do this. This world is a bad enough place after the plague without crooks like the mafia running around freely.”

“Is there even a legal system up and running yet,” Ken asked.

“Sadly, no. We barely have any governmental structure. Various parties of people have entered DC, most of them tend to follow their caravan leaders advice. Sort of like having mini nations within a city.”

“Without a legal system up and running--or a jail for that matter--I hardly see the point.”

“Here, you’re in more danger, Mrs. Ryan. It’s as simple as that. In DC we can offer you much more protection.”

“Well, I don’t think we--”

“Ken, no. I think he’s right. I don’t think we should just go to testify either. I suggest we move there.”

“What? But, Dianne… this is our home. This is where we grew up, where we lived for the last three years. We--”

“That’s great, Ken. But this isn’t the world it once was. America was the new Roman Empire, and New York was Rome. In this new world, though, there is no empire. Just a few small city states--like we backtracked through the history books. And now I want to live in Greece, the center of a future empire. Washington DC.”

Ken thought about it for a long time, thinking over what she said. In New York food was scarce, crime rates were high, and overall organization was poor. Based on Brown’s appearance, demeanor, and working ear-piece, he could only assume DC was better off. There was a pause, seeming to stretch for an eternity before Ken finally nodded his head in agreement.

“I guess we’re off to Greece.”