- Text Size +
It was 3:00am CST when it happened. Dr. Stuart Sampson had been enjoying a nice cup of coffee as he prepared to exit the underground facility. He would’ve left at around 2:30ish, but he felt like having a cup of coffee before heading home.

When Dr. Sampson got to the break room, the coffee pot was empty. He let out a sigh and set another pot up to brew and went over Dr. Gregoire’s report on the vaccines they should cook up for the most likely strains of the flu this year.

‘Looks like a real piece of work is on the horizon,’ Dr. Sampson thought as the coffee brewed.

---

Stu poured himself a cup and left the break room at 2:50am. He would’ve left then, but he bumped into Dr. Sarah Redman and stopped to talk.

Sarah was relatively new at the base--fresh college grad from the University of Pennsylvania’s med-school. She was roughly 27 or so, no one knew for sure, as it’s terribly rude to ask a woman her age. She was a beautiful, albeit pale, woman. Her face, dotted with freckles, always had a smile upon it. She had shoulder length red hair and beautiful green eyes behind a pair of stylish glasses. Much too pretty a woman to see Dr. Sampson as anything more than a colleague, mentor, and possibly a friend.

Dr. Sampson--Stu or Stuart to most of the staff--was in his mid-forties. His skin was semi-tan, occasional patches showing signs of skin cancer. He wore a set of coke-bottle lenses on his face, giving him big brown owl’s eyes. His hair had started graying at the age of 37, and ever since then he’s shaved his head. If he did let his hair grow out, roughly 75% of the makeup of his hair would be gray.

“So, Dr. Redman, how are you liking the nightshift,” Stu asked.

“Takes some getting used to,” she said with a laugh/yawn. “Haven’t been up in these hours of the night since college, but the coffee sure helps.”

“Gets to be your best friend ‘round these parts,” Stu said. They both laughed. 3:00 rolled around.

Their laughter was cut short by the insufferably loud wailing of a siren. Most nights, if an alarm went off, it meant there was a drill, or one of the animals in the testing facility got a hold of the tranquilizer gun again. Both Sarah and Stu thought it was another drill, until they saw a stretcher pushed by men in radiation suits carry the burnt body of Dr. Zepata down the hall.

“Radiation leak! Move,” Stu shouted, dropping his coffee, taking Sarah by the hand and running. Other doctors must’ve heard Stu shouting, because a panic was starting up.

“Turn here--this hall has air-tight rooms,” Sarah shouted.

Stu, Sarah, and maybe 20 more doctors ran down the hall and into an unlabeled door. Stu punched in the proper codes to have the doors hermetically sealed, and within the next 10 seconds they were all safe behind the locked air-tight doors of… whatever this room was.

Questions flooded the room immediately.
What’s going on?
Was that Dr. Zepata?
What were they thinking?! Bringing his body down the hall--if he’s irradiated he can irradiate others!!
What if we’re all irradiated too?! We’re all going to die!

It was during this temporary chaos that one Dr. Gladstone leaned against a large shelf containing several sealed glasses, labeled in some sort of code. As Dr. Gladstone reached for his cell phone--to call his wife and explain the situation--his elbow bumped a glass containing a light blue liquid--most likely a sedative of some kind. It fell to the floor and shattered. Not to worry. Anesthetics are only effective when in the system. After all… what else could have been in that bottle?

Well, truth be told, the room these poor men and women were in was unlabeled because the contents of these vials were top secret and didn’t officially exist. If there was a label on the door, it would’ve read something like this:

HIGHLY COMMUNICABLE DISEASE STORAGE!
DEADLY CONTENTS!
DO NOT ENTER!

---

In the super concentrated form of the virus that Dr. Gladstone had knocked over, it took a total of 10 minutes for everyone to succumb to the virus. All that could be seen from the security cameras were 22 rumpled piles of clothes, and a gathering of 7” individuals, clad only in pocket protectors, handkerchiefs, and bandannas for clothing.

A total of 8 doctors died from shock/heart failure during the shrinking process. Currently, all eyes were on Stu as to what to do. Stu was just as clueless as any of them.

“I’ll tell you what we’re not gonna do,” Stu said. “We’re not gonna panic, and we’re not gonna descend into the depths of anarchy and mob rule. There’s a security camera in the corner, we’re in plain’ sight, I’m sure someone will come eventually.”

“And then what,” Sarah asked. “This isn’t pneumonia, or some known disease with a cure--this is… I don’t even know what this is! This shouldn’t be physically possible!”

“Did it happen,” asked Dr. Gladstone.

“Yes, but--“

“Then you’d better believe it’s physically possible! It’s happened, so don’t state the contrary!”

Sarah looked ready to cry.

“Dr. Gladstone, that outburst wasn’t called for. Dr. Redman is scared, just like the rest of us,” Stu said, adjusting his pocket protector on himself so that it stopped drooping off his shoulder.

“Sorry, Stuart… I just--”

“Don’t apologize to me, apologize to her.” Stu gestured to Sarah.

“Sorry, Dr. Redman.”

Sarah nodded meekly, unable to see much without her glasses. She did see Stu though, and she saw the way he carried himself in this situation--calm, cool, collected. For that fleeting instant, Sarah saw Stu as more than a colleague or a mentor. Much, much more.

But it was just as Sarah was about to say something to Stu that the doors slid open. Into the room stepped two gargantuan figures in radiation suits. At first they were greeted with cheer, but it soon became evident that the arrival of these hulking figures was not something to celebrate. For they came into the room bearing large metal cages.

---

Dr. Gregoire was in charge of operations at the base in the Texas Panhandle. A radiation leak was supposed to be the most of his worries tonight, but it looks like fate has other plans.

‘To think, after all these years, that virus is still just as potent as when we cooked it up--’ Dr. Gregoire’s train of thought was cut off as General Bergenson entered the room.

“Dammit, Gregoire, what the hell is going on,” he barked.

“A simple accident, sir, not to worry. Everything is under control. The afflicted are all being quarantined and we’re about to do some blood tests on one to see if we can’t come up with a cure.”

“A cure for what, son? A cure for what,” he barked again.

“Oh, right. You don’t know--this is all very classified information. Well,” Gregoire began in a know-it-all tone, “back in the 60’s we were scared shitless that the soviets were going to invade us. Cuba being the most obvious point of possible invasion. Well, even though neither country made declarations of war against one another in a direct sense, Uncle Sam wanted to be prepared if the black bear should wander into our community. This little cocktail was supposed to be a nasty surprise for Brezhnev and his gang. Unfortunately we never used it, the Soviet Union collapsed on it’s own, and it’s sat in that room collecting dust with the other communicable diseases we’ve either cooked up or saved over the years--the Spanish Flu Virus of the early 20th century, small samples of the Black Plague, a severely mutated case of Small Pox, etc. etc. It just so happened that they were exposed to this… particular virus.”

“You mean to tell me… we have all that stuff just lying around, no locks, no nothing,” the General asked, wide eyed with disbelief.

“Hey, give us a break, we don’t have any funding down here,” Dr. Gregoire said, removing his glasses to polish them. “Besides, we’re not the first instillation to keep deadly diseases out in the open--and we won’t be the last.”

“And just what do you plan to do about the victims?”

“I already told you, Sir. We’re going to do our best to find a cure… but first, I must find a… volunteer,” Gregoire said, putting on surgical gloves with a loud snap. The grin on his face was… unsettling, to say the least.

---

Sarah had been in the cage with everyone for almost 30 minutes. Dr. Gladstone flipped out. He’s claustrophobic, and couldn’t stand the confinement. At the moment he was flinging himself at the bars of the cage, frantically beating at it. His face, hands, and chest were bruised beyond belief from all the frantic slamming into bars.

“Let me out, damn it!! Let me the fuck out,” he shouted, over, and over, and over again. Finally Stu walked up behind him and slammed his head into the bars, knocking him out.

“Thanks,” Sarah said, sitting down and bringing her knees up to her chest.

“No problem,” Stu said, sitting beside her. “We’re scared enough as it is--we don’t need to watch him bloody himself up too. You doin’ ok?”

“Well, as ok as I can be in this situation, I suppose,” she said glumly. “I… this is the first time I’ve truly been afraid--I don’t know what’s going to happen. Normally you can make an educated guess--predict what’s gonna happen, so to speak. It’s easy when you understand how things work… but I don’t know what this is, or how it works, or what’s going to happen, or what standard procedure is for this type of disease… I don’t know anything anymore!”

“Shh, shh,” Stu said, bringing her close to him. “It’s ok, you’re still in shock and you’re on the verge of panic--we’re all there right now. We just have to stay calm, and I’m sure--”

The doors opened with a loud hssss. All eyes were upon the men entering the room. Two men in radiation suits, and Dr. Gregoire wearing nothing but surgical gloves and a facemask.

“Dr, Gregoire, thank god! What’s going on,” Stu shouted so Gregoire could hear him.

Gregoire did indeed hear him, but he was ignoring him. He made his way to the cage, eyed everyone for a few moments until his eyes found Sarah Redman. Yes, his eyes looked over her for a very long time. He paused to remember.

Dr. Gregoire approached Sarah at the Christmas party. She was standing by the punch bowl, talking to Dr. Fishburg. Gregoire waited until she was alone.

“Sarah, I--”

“Dr. Redman, please,” Sarah corrected.

“… Dr. Redman… I just want to say--”

“Dr. Gregoire… please don’t say what I think you’re about to say.” Sarah had noticed all to well the looks she was getting from Dr. Gregoire. The thought of that man groping her with his eyes… it made her sick every time.

Dr. Gregoire was a very old man, with slicked back red hair. Somehow it hadn’t begun graying yet. His brow was large and full of wrinkles. His thick glasses always seemed to shine, making seeing his eyes very difficult. He was a strange kind of man, with a slouch and a limp in his left leg. There was some suspicion as to what happened to his ex wife, but the courts said he had nothing to do with it.

“I’m sorry, Dr. Redman, but I can’t hide it anymore. I’m in love with you.”

“I’m not in love with you,” she said simply. Sarah was a free spirit. She didn’t like the idea of being tied down to anyone, especially not Dr. Gregoire. He was a very creepy person.

Gregoire, despite being a doctor, always smelled of that cancerous thing called cigarettes. To Sarah and the other victims, the smell was overpowering.

Despite Gregoire’s failed attempt at winning Sarah’s heart, he continued to pursue her throughout the year. He tried to put the moves on her a month or two ago. The sexual harassment case was building in the courts, but wasn’t scheduled until a few more weeks. Now it looked doubtful if that would ever happen.

Gregoire, without saying a word, opened the cage and reached for Sarah. She let out a scream and ran to the far corner of the cage.

‘No use running--nowhere to go,’ Gregoire thought, no longer playing Mr. Nice guy and simply grabbing her as quickly as he could. He yanked her out of that cage, hurting Sarah’s neck she traveled at such high speeds. Sarah struggled and fought with his hand, but to no avail.

“Struggle all you want, Dr. Redman, but this is for the good of you and everyone else involved in this incident--a cure must be found,” Gregoire stated, eyeing her tiny little bod. She was clad in not more than a mere handkerchief. “You stay in here--make sure they don’t leave the table. IF they attempt to escape, you have the right to use lethal force.”

“Should one of us not--”

“No,” Gregoire said. “I’ll conduct this examination myself. I feel I’m more than competent enough to create a vaccine.” Sarah screamed and Gregoire increased his grip, knocking the wind out of her. “I shall return once my work is done. Until then, they are not to leave the room.”

Gregoire left the now quarantined area and made his way slowly to his office, his thumb occasionally caressing Sarah’s ample bosom. “Too good for me, huh,” he asked, a malicious smile upon his face. “What is it that I didn’t have? I have money, intellect, I’m good looking… what more could a woman want?”

“How about a little class, you oaf,” Sarah shouted.

Gregoire’s eyes flashed with rage. He squeezed Sarah so hard she was worried she would snap in half. His grip released after about 5 seconds or so.

“Well…” he said, a quiet rage building up within him. “time is of the essence. We don’t have time to wait for the anesthetic; I’ll just have to do this the old fashioned way.”

Dr. Gregoire slammed Sarah down on the table, causing her to cry out in pain. He held her in place with one hand and taped her to the table with the other. “You little bitch!” His voice was now frantic--no longer the voice of a madman quietly contemplating his vengeance, but the voice of someone whose mind had finally snapped. He was insane--more so than usual--right now. This was possibly the most dangerous situation one could find oneself in.

Sarah struggled against the tape, but to no avail. Dr. Gregoire went into a large closet in the corner of his office, and returned with a scalpel, a hypodermic needle. “And now, a little music,” he said, his glasses shining upon the dark silhouette of his form. He turned on the radio and began advancing on Sarah. Stuck in the Middle With You was playing.

Sarah tried to speak. Her throat locked up and refused to move. She couldn’t help but be reminded of the torture sequence from Reservoir Dogs. She could only hope this turned out better, although the outlook for such luck was bleak.

“Now… let’s begin,” Gregoire said, grinning like a cat. He jammed the needle into Sarah’s calve. She screamed. “No, that won’t do… we’ll have to fix that.”

Gregoire looked to his left towards the tape. He tore off a small piece and jammed it over her face. All that could be heard from Sarah now were muffled screams of terror. The screaming was what Gregoire wanted. When it stopped, he would know his work was done. There never was any hope of finding a vaccine. This was just business.

“Now let’s try this again,” he said with sick pleasure. He jammed the needle into her calve and drew as much blood as he could. Sarah continued to struggle and scream. “Was that as good for you as it was for me,” he asked with a laugh, looking at the needle. He grabbed the scalpel. “We may need a tissue sample too--never know. This disease could be transferred by dead skin particles!!” There was a quick slash and another muffled scream of pain and terror. Gregoire laughed a menacing, sickening laugh as Sarah’s left arm began gushing blood.

This was the happiest 5 minutes of Dr. Gregoire’s life. Dr. Redman died a horribly painful death that no-one but Dr. Gregoire would know about. She was thrown out with the trash the next morning, wrapped in a bloody paper towel.