- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Story 24:  You're Just What I Needed

Eryca held a sleeping Alex in her hand. She lightly stroked him from his mullet to the small of his back. He was much calmer now. He enjoyed her affection it seemed. Perhaps, if given time, the old Alex would be back. With a deep breath, Eryca set about to do what had to be done. She opened the door and entered Damien’s room.

“There you are. I knew you’d be back,” Damien said with a smile. “Come on in, the bed’s missed you… so’s Little Damien.”

“Damien, that’s not why I’m here.”

“Huh?”

“Damien, last night I realized something. You’re never going to change. You’re an asshole, a prick… and I don’t want to be with you.”

“Wait, are you saying--”

“Yes! God damn, what do I have to do, spell it out for you?! You’re an asshole, you tried to kill Alex! Fuck you, damn it. We’re done, it’s over!”

“Nobody breaks up with me,” Damien growled through gritted teeth.

“I just did.”

“I would not say such things if I were you.”

“Fuck off.”

Damien leapt out of bed, lunging for Eryca. She screamed for not even half a second before his hands were clasped around her throat. She gagged and fell over, dropping Alex to the floor. Damien dragged Eryca to the bed, proceeding to tear off her nightgown. When he couldn’t work the buttons with one hand, he just tore it off.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alex woke as he hit the floor. He jumped up, gazing around alertly. He saw Damien, he saw Eryca, and anger flared up within him. Eryca screamed out again, but it was stifled once more by Damien.

“Shut up, bitch. You didn’t complain any other time!”

Alex was ready to start screaming and pitching a fit, when suddenly something happened. A switch went off in his brain that said “Cut the shit.” One thought entered his mind. ‘Dart gun, hallway closet.’

Alex ran out of the room and dived under the door of the hallway closet. There the previous owner of the house had kept a Kenyan Blowgun complete with Poison Tipped Darts. Alex grabbed a dart and ran back for the room.

Eryca was naked and weeping. She was gagged and Damien was rounding second base, taking his time knowing she could do nothing.

“Your mouth says no, but your body sure seems willing,” he chuckled.

“Hey, asshole,” Alex shouted.

Damien turned around and saw the miniscule psychopath standing there with a poison tipped dart.

“I don’t believe it,” Damien said in a dumbfounded way.

“Believe it or not, mother fucker, you’re still gonna die.” Alex jammed the dart right into Damien’s Achilles. He howled in pain as Eryca got to her feet. “A rattlesnake is not immune to its own poison--brute force can be used by anyone against anyone, Damien.”

“You Sunuvabitch,” Damien growled, reaching for Alex. As soon as his fingers clasped around Alex’s form, popping noises and snapping bones were heard. Only for a very few seconds though. Damien fell over, veins turning black, eyes rolling back in his head. He went out just like humanity, not with a bang, but a whimper.

“Ohmigod,” Eryca said softly. Alex breathed deeply for a few seconds before letting out a primal scream. Eryca reached down and picked him up. “Are you ok?!”

“I’m a murderer…”

“You saved my life!”

“But took another. In a world where so many have already perished, I cannot see justification to take another life under any circumstances… my god… Man really is just an animal. We lust, we kill… we love… the only thing that sets us apart from the beasts of Africa is the degree of damage which we can deal--a nuclear bomb is much more lethal than any form of claws. But in this new world, we don’t even have that. We’re just animals with less survival skills… we are doomed to kill each other… and I have proven it! Mankind is doomed!”

“Alex, calm down!”

“I am calm, and I see things clearly. More clearly than I ever have before… I--”

“Alex, listen to me,” Eryca said, tears streaming down her face. “I love you.”

“And I love you, but--”

“No ‘buts’. We love each other. Things will work out.”

“I’m glad to be back,” Alex said, teary eyed.

“Good to have you back.” Eryca held him up to her face. The salt tears streaming down her cheek burned to the touch, but it was worth every second of stinging sensation. They sat there, embracing one another for the longest time. Ten minutes, thirty minutes, an hour. Sitting there in complete silence, just feeling the love. Finally, Eryca spoke.

“What are we going to do with the body?”

“Shove him out the window,” Alex said calmly. “He’s just another victim--a death in the second plague to strike the survivors. The plague of survival and stupidity.”