- Text Size +
From 12 of these scientists, there was no struggle. But from Stuart Sampson, there was a world of trouble. Screams rang out all around as Fluffy shredded scientist after scientist, scarfing them down as a meal. In the chaos, some of the more athletic doctors made it to shelves. Fluffy made it to them in a mere matter of seconds, knocking over vials of who knows what diseases in the process. As the fighting died down, only Dr. Sampson was left. Fluffy was biting through Dr. Gladstone’s ribcage on the other side of the room, giving Stu some time to strategize.

Stu saw a broken test tube on the floor. He dashed for it and managed to pick it up just as Fluffy spotted him. The cat jumped up and broke into a run. Stu stuck the broken edges out, shaking his weapon wildly.

“Alright you sonuvabitch, let’s see how you like bleeding,” Stu growled in a low voice.

Fluffy let out an earsplitting roar as Stu jammed the test tube into his eye. Blood matted Fluffy’s fur, and he began swinging wildly to try and hit Stu.

“Bleed you mother fucking bastard, bleed,” Stu shouted, again jamming the test tube into the cat, this time puncturing the throat. Fluffy slowly bled to death over the next few minutes.

---

From the vantage point of the security cameras, Fluffy leaped behind the island table in the center of the room and blood started flying.

“And that’s 13,” Gregoire said, probably a lot cheerier than someone who just contributed to the death of 14 American citizens should. “You did the right thing, General. We should send a cleanup team in there to get rid of the bodies--there can be no evidence that this ever happened.”

General Bergenson nodded. “It’s funny… this thing we cooked up to give the commies hell, defend the country… instead, it’s turned against our own people, and they die because of our mistakes… damn shame…”

“Are you going to be alright General,” Gregoire asked. Bergenson nodded. “Good. Then send that cleanup crew in there. The bodies should be thrown into the incinerator ASAP.”

“Good God, man. Don’t these poor men and women at least deserve a proper burial?!”

“And risk transferring the disease via plants that produce oxygen?! I think not, sir. Burn the bodies. They’re AWOL. The families will be billed for their absences. Make Uncle Sam a few more dollars.”

“You’re one twisted son of a bitch.”

“I’m a patriot, and nothing more. My loyalties lie with my country, not my employees. You should see where your allegiances lie, General. Good day.”

---

The cleanup crew got into the lab at noon to remove the bodies. When they stepped into the room and the sliding doors opened, Stu made a mad dash out into the hall. No-one noticed--why should they be on the lookout for a doll sized man on the run? After all, they were all dead.

Stu ran down the hall and towards the lobby. On his way out, he passed the lounge where General Bergenson was sitting and drinking a cup of coffee. Dr. Zepata had just been returned from the burn ward and was drinking a cup of water. Simply by running past the room they were in, he infected both of them with the disease.

He infected the Janitor, Miguel Rodriguez, on his way through the main entrance hall. And on his way out the front door, he infected Dr. Ethel Goldburg, who decided to come to work an hour early in case they were out of coffee in the break room.

Stu made it outside and away from the laboratory, but not before he was able to infect at least 21 people with the virus. Of those 21, one Dr. Emmanuel Freeman was scheduled to go on vacation to Cancun and infect the whole town. Each of the others who were infected had family in friends to infect.

Let’s say each person should be able to infect about 10 people a day unwittingly. In turn these 10 people each infect another 10 people. After going through this cycle, in merely 5 days we have a minimum of a million people infected with this virus. And as it turns out, it was much more communicable than Dr. Gregoire initially predicted. This was the beginning of the end.