- Text Size +
Paul and Stephanie had been dating for almost two years now. They lived together in a nice house in suburbia. Paul was a musician. He sang, he danced, he was good looking. He did a lot of musical theatre, wrote many songs and performed at clubs, but most of his stuff was done at a local playhouse where he performed in plays. He was, as Time put it when he made the cover, “The accumulation of the best things to ever hit the stage!”

Stephanie often acted alongside him as the leading lady. She was good, but Paul always overshadowed her. She didn’t mind though. Truth be told, she enjoyed staying out of the spotlight. She was content, and what more could people ask for than to be content? Although sometimes even that is too much to ask for.

It was a bright and sunny day. Stephanie was on the porch, enjoying the breeze and reading a book. Paul was at rehearsal again. When he got home the two of them--well, Paul--would start preparing dinner, and she would set the table. Tonight they were having Chicken Parmesan. Stephanie had already gotten back from the Wal-Mart with the necessary ingredients.

She enjoyed the alone time she got. She loved being around Paul, but whenever he was here he was all she thought about. It was strange, almost like some sort of obsession or addiction that only plagued her when the substance was within eyeshot. When he was around, he was all that mattered to her.

Steph only had deep inner monologues when she was on her own. Seemed to be the only time she thought about life, or where she was heading, or when she was going to head to college, if at all. At the moment she found herself thinking about perhaps starting a garden in the backyard. Her thoughts were interrupted by a phone call however.

She made her way inside and answered the phone. “Hello,” she said in a singsong voice.

“Hey, Steph, it’s me,” Paul said.

“Hi hon, what’s up?”

“Not much--listen, I’m coming home early. Rehearsal is cancelled.”

“What? Why?”

“Well, half the cast is out with that new flu-bug, and half way through rehearsal our director started having coughing fits and collapsed on stage. We sent for an ambulance and then the Assistant Director/Stage Manager said we should just head home.”

“Oh my god, that’s horrible!”

“Listen, pack your bags, I think something more sinister is at work here. We’re moving. This flu bug seems to be really big on the East and West coast. I figure if we head further inland we can maybe wait out the storm somewhere in the Rockies. I heard from some people it’s getting’ real bad. Call up your mother and--”

“Why? She’s three states away from us.”

“Don’t interrupt, damn it! This is important. I need you to call her and tell her to pack as well. We’re taking her with us, as well as anyone else we can get to come. I got a bad feeling.”

“But--”

“We don’t have time to debate this, Steph!! Fucking do it!” Paul hung up.

Stephanie tried to call her mother, the line never rang. Just silence and then a message stating that all lines were temporarily down. She quirked a brow and tried again. Same thing. As Stephanie continued to fiddle with the phone she discovered that the phone only made local calls, and whenever a call was made to anywhere outside Georgia it played that same message. Something was very wrong.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul got home and quickly threw his things into the suitcase.

“Paul, I--”

“Not now, Steph, I need to pack. Toss your stuff in the car, quick,” he shouted.

After a rushed packing and a quick jump in the car, Paul hopped in the driver’s seat. He quickly adjusted the seat, and took off speeding towards the quickest route out of town.

“Paul, what do you know that I don’t,” Stephanie demanded.

“I can’t explain right now, I just have to--SHIT!” Paul slammed down on the brakes. The main road out of town was blocked off by a car crash between a red sports car and a white pick-up truck. Off in the distance he thought he could see… military trucks? They were just sitting there. And there was a cleanup crew to remove the sports car and the pick-up truck… but they were carrying sub-machine guns… and it really didn’t look like they were doing any work. “Ok, we’ll take one of the back roads.”

But the same awaited them at every exit. A car crash, a road block, or a missing road completely. Some spots looked as if TNT had been detonated simply to prevent anyone from leaving. And everywhere they went, they had the unnerving feeling that if they attempted to cross these obstacles… they would be shot.

Paul cursed again, adjusting his seat for roughly the 5th time today. “FUCK!!”

“Paul, I’m scared.”

“Not now, just be quiet and let me think.” Paul’s mind began racing. The roads were blocked, there was an ominous sense of dread and death, and to boot construction workers now had sub-machine guns. “Steph, was the phone working when you tried to call your mom?”

“Yes, but only for local calls. If I tried calling out of the state--or even out of the city--I just kept getting a message stating that all lines are down.”

“Shit. That’s what I was afraid of,” Paul said with a sigh, pulling his pants up, fixing his shirt, and adjusting his seat. “The city’s been quarantined.”

“What? Paul, you’re not making any sense!”

“At rehearsal a day or two ago, I heard from Jim that the flu-bug was no flu-bug. He said he was watching the TV when a riot broke out and… well, the military has been forcing the media to tell us things. I didn’t believe him until it was too late. He already left town a little while after he told mea bout it. The military… they’re trying to cover some disease up. I think someone fucked up big-time and they don’t want us to know about it. This disease is… sunuvabitch. You’re gonna have to drive.”

“What, what’s wrong?”

Paul let out a mighty sneeze. “I’m sick. My feet can’t reach the pedals anymore.”