- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Please try to ignore the somewhat stupid questions in the competition, I'm not sure what I was thinking when I made it! It was 7 years ago!

The next day Cameroon and Serine slept in late. Not to do necisarily with anything, they just happened to not wake up early. This left the others at a loss about what to do for breakfast. Sandra suggested making pancakes and actually stood on the counter trying to get the ingredients out. When she deemed it too dangerous she stopped.

            Cameroon and Serine did arrive and make breakfast, but by that time it was almost ten o’clock and there was not much time before the competition was set to begin. The rest of the group was starting to feel differently about Cameroon and Serine now that they were big; when they were small they felt sorry for the two of them, as least some of them did, but now they were big they were generating a lot of hate. Not to mention the story of the Cameroon-Serine-Bill love triangle had gone around and popular—if unspoken—opinion was that Serine had been unnecessarily cruel.

            After breakfast, the group of them waited around meekly for Betty to be quiet. They all stayed out in the living room in too close of quarters to discuss strategy with each other. Of course, they all had a pretty good idea of what they were doing, at least as far as who they would help and who they would hurt was concerned.

            Eleven O’clock came too soon, and the group of eight saw the one sight they had learned to anticipate and fear: Betty. Betty came into the house, and looked at them all smiling. “Okay, get ready for the competition!”

            Everyone stood up and filed together in front of Betty. Betty looked from face to anxious face, then began to explain today’s competition.

            “For those of you who didn’t gather from my last words, there will be a lot of shrinking today.” Said Betty. The people looked resolved but scared.

            “Before I tell you about how it’s going to begin, let me tell you about how it will end.” Betty said. “At the end of today’s competition, there will be one soul person still at full height.” The people looked at each other. Only one person at full height? That person could be a tyrant! Cameroon and Serine looked at each other. Well, so much for dreams of sharing the top spot, they thought.

            “Not only that,” Said Betty, “But there will only be two people at half-height. Three people will be at one quarter height. Finally, there will be two people at one eighth height.”

            They all looked at each other in alarm. One eighth height! That was only eight or nine inches tall! That was about the height of a Barbie doll! A person that size wouldn’t be able to do anything for himself. They wouldn’t be able to even use the toilet themselves, and if they tried, they could fall in!

            “Your knowledge of certain things around the house will help.” Betty said. “As will the loyalties of your friends and allies, and in some cases just pure luck. Well, that being said, let’s go outside.”

            Betty led them outside the house and around and back to where the shooting competition had been held a few days ago. Instead of the mobile shooting range, there was a series of booths which a contestant might answer questions from behind. At least this satisfied Tom, Sandra, and Annie, who had guessed that it might have been like this.

            However, there was one glaring thing that hit them all in the face. The shrinking booth, looking for all the world like an overstuffed phone booth, was sitting just to the right of the booths, thick power and computer chords running from it to the compound.

            “As you can see, shrinking will be done on the spot throughout the game.” Said Betty. “So you better make sure you answer the questions the best you can.”

            “The first part of the game has to do with the half-sized.” Said Betty. Instantly Tom, Sandra, and Annie looked at each other with satisfaction: they were right. “But,” Said Betty, continuing. “There will be a monkey wrench thrown into the equation. Before I tell you what that monkey wrench is, I need you to get behind those booths. Serine and Cameroon, take two of the tall ones to the left.” Betty indicated three tall booths that were clearly meant to accommodate full-sized people. Serine and Cameroon got behind them, glancing at each other as they did so.

            “For Tom, Sandra, Annie, and Bill, you will take the middle ones.” Betty was indicating four booths that were no more than two feet tall. The four of them fell in in the order that Betty had told them too. Bill didn’t look at the others.

            “Dave and Sherri, you will take the ones on the right.” Betty indicated a group of four tiny booths that looked no bigger than upended shoe boxes. Dave and Sherri got behind two of them.

            Now that they were all in place, they looked at the booths. No matter what size they were they all had identical features. There was no screen, but there were several buttons. There was a group of eight buttons, one for each player. There were also buttons for colors: red, blue, green, and the like. There were all the numbers from one two ten represented. There were arrows for left, right, up, and down, although they seemed useless with no screen.

            “Now I want you to consider this seriously.” Betty says. “When I ask you a question, you will press the button with the answer. Your answer will be displayed prominently for me and everyone else to see. Not only that, but I will read them out loud and everyone else will know what you picked. This isn’t a secret ballot, so plan accordingly.”

            Dave, Sandra, and Annie looked at each other, all confirming their alliance support, open ballot or no.

            “Now,” Said Betty. “We will procede to the game that involves the half-sizes. But there is a problem.” They all listened keenly to figure out what the problem was. “This is a competition for three half-sizers. One of these four will have to be reduced.”

            Now the alliance looked in alarm at each other. Could this be the undoing of their plot?

            “This is how we will eliminate the extra person.” Said Betty. “All of you will vote for one person from the group of four sitting up there that you want reduced. The highest number of votes wins straight off. You have no time to think. Go!”

            The sounds of eight hands hitting eight buttons, and the front of all eight booths lit up. Betty surveyed the votes, then read them out loud:

            “Cameroon votes for Sandra.”

            “Serine votes for Sandra.”

            “Tom votes for Bill.”

            “Sandra votes for Bill.”

            “Annie votes for Bill.”

            “Bill votes for Tom.”

            “Dave votes for Bill.”

            “Sherri votes for Sandra. Bill, you have been selected to be shrunk to quarter size.”

            Bill’s jaw dropped open. He knew obviously now that Tom, Sandra, and Annie had had an alliance the entire time, and he was too wrapped up in Serine to notice it. He was kicking himself too. If he had voted for Sandra instead of Tom it would have been a tie, and even though he had no idea what would have happened then at least he knew he had somewhat of a chance.

            Betty pressed a button on the control of her hostess’s podium and the door to the shrinking booth slid smoothly open. “Go ahead, Bill, it’s warm for you.” Betty said.

            Bill had no choice. He turned from Annie and Sandra and Tom and walked the four steps to the shrinking booth. He stepped in and watched as the door slid shut. A second later there was a flash and he then found himself in a very vast room, one that was still the booth.

            The door slid open. Annie, Sandra, and Tom were all still facing forward, but they had their heads turned back to look at Bill. They were immense, huge, all of them. Bill didn’t even want to think about how big Betty was. She seemed a hundred feet away, but dominated the background still. Bill was reluctant to come out, but he did.

            “Bill, take your place next to Dave and Sherri and await the next round you will take part in.” Said Sherri. Bill slunk over next to Dave, not looking at him. Directly across from him standing only ten feet away was Serine, who stood like an Olympian goddess behind her podium. Oh well he thought. I’m sure I’m not out of this yet.

            “Well, I’m glad we’ve gotten that taken care of.” Said Betty. “Now Tom, Sandra, and Annie will compete for the right to be re-enlarged to full-sized. This will enable the winner of this round to compete with Serine and Cameroon for the position of sole full-sized person. Be quick, because you have three seconds to answer each question.”

            Tom, Sandra, and Annie looked at each other. Well, the alliance was pretty much irrelevant now and they had suddenly been turned back into competitors. Tom smiled grimly. This was the way he wanted it.

            “The winner will be the first one to answer three questions correctly.” Said Betty. “Annie, I shall start with you because you didn’t get any votes against you in the elimination poll.”

            Annie stood, tense. She tried to rake her mind of what questions would be answered by numbers, people’s names, or colors. Obviously things to do with the house or the game. She really hoped she could do it.

            “Annie, your first question.” Said Betty. “When you enter the house, which side of the room is the kitchen on?”

            Annie was relived, this question was easy. She hit the left button. A positive-sounding ring issued out from her booth.

            “Correct.” Said Betty. A square indicating one point appeared on Annie’s booth. “Sandra, first question. Out of the eight of you, who served as a Navy Pilot for two years in the West Ocean?”

            What? Thought Sandra. After Annie gets asked that easy question, I get landed with this? Sandra hit Cameroon’s button. A negative buzzer issued.

            “The correct answer was ‘Bill’.” Said Betty. “Tom, first question. What color are the cabinets above the kitchen sink?”

            Fortunitely he had helped make dinner on more than one ocassion and knew that the answer was blue.

            “Correct. One point.” Betty said. “Annie, question two. Who of the eight of you annually vacations to Arthur City for Dentfest?”

            Annie had no idea. She hit Sandra’s button, but again it beeped wrong.

            “Incorrect, the answer was ‘Cameroon’. Sandra, question two. In the house, how many drawers are there on the right side of the sink?”

            Sandra knew there was four, but in her haste her hand slipped and hit five. The buzzer blotted out her curse.

            “Incorrect, the answer was four. Tom: question two. How many blankets are on the beds in the house?”

            Tom knew this answer, it was easy. This was Southon, for crying out loud, you didn’t need blankets here! He hit one.

            “Correct. Tom, you are a point from winning this challenge.” Said Betty. Tom smiled. With some good luck he was getting back on top of things.

            “Annie: Question three. Upon arrival to the compound, which way did you turn to enter the waiting room?”

            Annie remembered: it was left! “Correct.” Betty said. “You too are one question away from advancing. Sandra: question three. What color is the carpet in the living room?”

            Finally, an easy question. Sandra hit Blue and was correct. “You have one point.” Said Betty. “Tom: question three. Answer this correctly and you will be enlarged to full-sized. What color are the tiles in the near bathroom?”

            Crap! Tom thought. He didn’t remember. He hit blue, but there was a buzz.

            “The correct answer was yellow.” Betty said. “Annie, question four. Answer this one correctly and you will be enlarged to full size: Out of you eight people, who has a sister who lives in the Triangle Tower?”

            Annie dispared and it a random button: Dave. Negative buzzer. “Incorrect, the correct answer was Serine.”

            “On the 171th floor,” Sneered serine, before she could help it.

            “Sandra, question four,” Betty continued, as if nothing had happened. “When you drove up the entrance to the studio, which way did you go to enter the parking lot?”

            Sandra’s jaws dropped. How was she supposed to remember. She hit the left key, which gave an incorrect buzzer.

            “The correct answer was up, or straight ahead.” Said Betty. “Tom, question four. Again, if you get this right you will be enlarged.” Tom drummed his fingers. This time.

            “Tom: when you entered the building, where was the studio logo located?”

            Tom had no idea. He hit the direction pad at random, selecting “down”. To his complete surprise and delight the positive ring came out.

            “Correct,” Said Betty. “The studio logo was down. To be more precise, it was on the entrance rug. And I would appreciate it if you wouldn’t walk across it with muddy shoes next time you visit the front lobby.”

            Tom sighed with relief. He was going to be full-sized again! If only for a little bit—but if he could help it, he would stay full-sized through the end of the game.

            “Go into the booth.” Said Betty. Tom happily obliged, walking the short distance to the booth and almost getting giddy as he watched the door close. There was a flash of light and Tom found himself in a room that was no bigger than a small phone booth. The door opened, and Tom walked out into the surprisingly small clearing.

            He looked to his right. Annie and Sandra, who had been shoulder-to-shoulder with him a minute before, were mow miniscule! Not to mention Dave, Bill, and Sherri at his left, who didn’t come up to his knee! Betty herself was shorter than him, and he was just about Cameroon’s height.

            “Take your place next to Serine and Cameroon and prepare for the championship round.” Said Betty, but Tom was already on his way to Serine’s right side before Betty started speeking.

            Serine, Cameroon, and Tom looked at each other. One of those three strong leaders would be the ruler of the other seven. They knew that the single biggest person would be bigger than the rest combined in terms of mass. The power was enormous.

            “You three have made it to the top.” Said Betty. “But now the stakes are high. For the first one to be eliminated will not merely be demoted to half-size, no. The first person to be eliminated will be shrunk to one-eighth of his or her normal height, and will have to stant here!”

            And out from under her hostess booth Betty pulled a tiny contestant booth that was smaller than the shoes on her feet and placed it atop her podium. The three full-sizers, particularly Tom, started looking a lot less smug in an instant.

            “The second person to be eliminated will merely be shrunk to one-fourth size. Then out of the four smallest people your new leader will pick the one he or she wants to be the other person shrunk to one-eighth height.”

            The players sunk in the news. This was probably going to be the whole game. It seemed unfair to those stuck at quarter height because they didn’t even have a chance to grow. In reality they did have their chance—yesterday.

            “It shall work like this:” Said Betty. “Each of you three will begin with six points. I will ask a question. The first person who buzzes in gets a chance to answer. If you are correct you gain a point while your opponents each loose a point. If you are incorrect you loose a point, and your opponents have the chance to steal.”

            “But there is a bonus gift from the quarter-sizers.” Betty said. “Bill, Dave, and Sherri each have a chance to levy one strike against whom they want. But they will have to explain their choice. Go now.”

            There were three little hands hitting buttons and three names appeared on the screens.

            “Bill, you selected Serine. Why?”

            “For her betrayal.” Said Bill, staring angrily and defiantly across to the giant Serine.

            “Dave, you selected Tom. Why?”

            “Because he annoys me.” Said Dave. “Always thinks he knows everything.”

            “Sherri, you selected Tom as well. Why?”

            “Because I want him smaller than me,” Said Sherri, giggling.

            “Valid answers, all of you.” Said Betty. “Okay, so Cameroon starts with six points, Serine with five, and Tom with four. The game begins now!”

            “First question: according to the hit comedy Hoagie Hut, which came first, the chicken or the egg?”

            They were all taken aback by this question. None of them knew what to do; neither “chicken” nor “egg” was on the screen?

            Finally, Cameroon hit his own name. His screen buzzed and he said, “The Chicken!”

            “Correct,” Said Betty. “And good job figuring out how to answer the question. You lead with seven points. Serine has four, Tom has three.”

            Tom couldn’t believe he was so far behind one question into the game. Stupid Sherri, if she knew anything she would know that life would be better for her if he was big instead of the others. He would not let himself become the size of a Barbie doll.

            “Next question.” Betty said. “How many miles long is the east span of the Great Bridge?”

            Serine hit the buzzer. “Eighty two.”

            “Incorrect. Loose one point.” Said Betty. “Can anyone else tell me the answer?”

            Tom wrung his buzzer. “Eighty seven.”

            “Very good.” Serine said. “Cameroon leads with six, Tom has four, and Serine has three. Next question: in the song ‘Thick as a Brick’, what rapidly peels?

            Serine hit her buzzer but had no idea what it was. “A…banana?” She grappled.

            “Nope, sorry.” Betty said. “Anyone else?”

            Cameroon hit his buzzer. “Your suntan.”

            “Very good.” Said Betty. “Cameroon leads with seven, Tom has three, Serine has one. Serine, if you don’t answer the next question correctly you are out of the running.”

            Serine’s palms were sweating over her name button. She needed the next one, she really needed it.

            “Next question.” Betty said. “In the classic Writing Center novel A Tropov’s Guide to Earth, how is the protagonist shrunk near the beginning?”

            Cameroon hit the button. “A shrinking device.” He said unhesitantly.

            “Wrong.” Said Betty. Cameroon did not flinch at all. Many gaped at him. He had just preformed an act of self-sacrafice to give Serine a chance.

            Tom made to hit his buzzer, but Serine hit it first. “A transporter accident!” Said Serine.

            “Very good.” Said Betty, saying nothing about Cameroon’s act. “Cameroon still leads with five, Tom and Serine are tied at two.”

            Serine tried to catch a glimpse of Cameroon to see what he was thinking, but Cameroon was stairing stoakly ahead.

            “Next question.” Said Betty. “Which famous Shrink Cinema actress was just canonized by the great National Shrinking Museum in 986? Just a first name would do.”

            Cameroon hit his button. “Sarah.”

            “Wrong!” Said Betty. “Anyone else?”

            Tom hit his buzzer before Serine could and said, “Julia.”

            “Correct!” Said Betty. “Cameroon and Tom tie for the lead at three, Serine has one point. Serine, if you don’t answer this question correctly you will be shrunk to one eighth your current size.”

            Serine was shaking. She resolved to answer the next question no matter what.

            “Which national city is known for it’s distinctive brand of Jelly?” Betty asked.

            Serine knew this! She hit her buzzer and said, “Anglebon!” She exclaimed.

            “You are correct.” Betty said. “All players are tied with two points.” The tension and the suspense were building. The smaller people wanted to see who their new master was so they would know what to fear. The larger people were gripped in fear, wanting anything but to be eight inches tall.

            “Next question.” Betty said. “If you were to travel from Southon to Apple Grove by train, what line would you take?”

            Serine knew this too! She hit her button and blurted out “Ichabad line!”

            “Excellent!” Said Betty. Serine whooped in joy, sweat poring from her head. “Serine leads with three points. Cameroon and Tom both have one point. No matter what happens next turn, one of you two will be shrunk.”

            Tom and Cameroon looked at each other with nothing to say with their mouths, but with a look of fear in their eyes.

            “Next Question.” Betty said. “In what year did Capital City unilaterally and controversially expand it’s boundaries onto neighboring munincipalities?”

            Cameroon hit his pad and shouted out, “Nine thirty-seven!” A great deafness fell about. He was, of course…

            “Wrong.” Said Betty. “You are out of points. You must now proceed to the shrinking booth to be reduced to one-eighth your normal size.”

            Cameroon felt like an idiot. He had been weakening his score to give Serine a chance, and he had been just ready to knock out Tom when he gave a wrong answer, a genuine wrong answer. Now he was being sent to the booth and Tom might still win. Great; perfect.

            Cameroon walked past Tom and Serine, past Sandra and Annie, and walked into the booth that was awaiting him. He watched the door close and the inevitable flash of light followed.

            When he could see again, Cameroon found himself in a building that was bigger than anything he had ever seen. The celing was over ten stories high. The ground was so big it was like a small plaza.

            He didn’t want to see the door open, but it did. Outside the world was immense. Where there was once a small gathering of booths and people there was now a stadium. The people, even the ones who had been tiny to him a moment ago, were immense. The nearest to him was Annie. Just a second ago she had been waist height to him. Now she was an immense giantess, legs as thick as redwoods coming up and going into a strong full body.

            “Annie, if you could please bring Cameroon to me.” Said Betty. Annie’s eyes opened wide as she made her way over to the shrinking booth. She kneeled down and picked up Cameroon with two hands. She lifted him effortlessly up and carried him across the yard to Betty.

            As big as Annie was to Cameroon, she was still tiny next to Betty. Annie looked up at the giant hostess, and the hostess extended her hand to Annie. Annie handed over Cameroon to her.

            Cameroon’s first thought was now he knows how it must feel to be a doll. Betty wrapped a single hand around him; and by around it fit completelyaround him. Her head was as tall as he was. Her fingers were thicker than his legs; her arms were several times longer than his entire body and far wider. It was too overwhelming; he thought he might faint.

            Betty placed Cameroon at the booth sitting on top of her podium. He leaned for against the booth for support, trying not to think about the giantess behind who was casting him into shadow.

            “The question still stands.” Betty said. “If either one of you could answer it…”

            Serine hit her button desperately. “Nine forty seven!” She said.

            “You are correct!” Said Betty. Tom’s hands could be seen turning into intense fists.

            “Now,” Said Betty. “Tom will proceed to the shrinking machine in order to be reduced to one fourth size. That is, unless Serine wants to appoint him as the other eighth-size person.”

            Serine smiled with the power that had been given to her.

            “You can choose one of the three people already at quarter size, or Tom to be your other smallest person.”

            Serine looked among them. Bill—nah, she didn’t want to add insult to injury for the little guy. Dave? No reason, really. Sherri? She was looking right back at Serine with a smile for some reason. Serine wondered why, but then Sherri tilted her head at Tom and Serine understood.

            “No, I think I will take a little Tom.” Said Serine.

 

            A few minutes later, Serine had been told to walk to retrieve the tiny Tom from the shrinking booth. Serine was absolutely struck with how absolutely tiny Tom was. His little arms, his little legs. He was so small that Serine could wrape her entire hand arund him, and she did. Tom weighed next to nothing and she could hardly feel his weight in her hand.

            Of course, to Tom Serine was an unbelievable giantess. There was nothing that he could even compare the size of Serine and her parts too short of airplanes, ships, and skyscrapers. Tom looked at the fingers that were binding him; nice womanly fingers that here almost as wide as him. He figured right then and there that he was never going to win.

            The game was over; everybody knew it. Serine was their reigning full-sized person and queen. Annie and Sandra were her deputies, the half-sized people. Bill, Sherri, and Dave were all the quarter-sized commoners. And Tom and Cameroon were the eighth-sized slaves.

            Betty all asked them to come forth and stand in front of her. The group of eight that had started out as eight normal-sized people now took up very little room indeed.

            “These are the sizes you will have for the rest of the day.” Betty said. “I trust that the bigger people will see to it that the needs of the smaller people are met. But tomorrow, the erratic shrinkings begin, and so do the eliminations.”

            Everybody frose up at that. Eratic shrinkings? What did that mean? And the eliminations? That meant that people were going to start getting smaller very soon.

            “Return to your house.” Said Betty. “Spend the rest of the night at your leasure. Tomorrow morning I will stop by and explain what I mean by eratic shrinkings.”

            The group of eight returned to the house. Serine was carrying Tom with one hand and Cameroon with the other. Annie followed carrying Dave and Sherri. Sanda followed with Bill.

            The first thing they noticed when they entered the house was that they were now down to four bedrooms. They half-expected that. Now it meant that no one would be sleeping alone anymore, unless they were to do three in a bed in one of the rooms.

            “So I am your queen now.” Said Serine, looking down at the assortment of little people at her feet. “Well, I’ll rule kindly if you let me. I don’t see any need to lay down strict rules or anything. Just…” Serine thought a bit. She really could have these people doing anything she wanted, but, well, she wasn’t really like that: “Just if I want one of you to do something, it’ll probably be a good idea to do it.”

            The small people all nodded their head in agreement. The taller short people put down their cargo of smaller short people and they walked into the living room. Serine put down Tom and let him run into the living room with the others.

            Serine brought the tiny Cameroon close to her face. He was gorgeous, the little small man sitting there in the palm of her hand looking up at her.

            “Why did you do that?” Serine whispered.

            “Because I wanted you to be big.” Cameroon said. “I really didn’t want Tom to be big. I know we’re all in this game to win, but…I just felt it was the right thing to do.”

            “Oh, Cam.” Said Serine, pressing Cameroon into her chest in a big hug. “You’re such a sweetie.” Serine’s chest, even through her shirt, was big, soft, and warm. Cameroon didn’t feel so bad about letting her win at all.

            “You know,” Serine whispered to him. “You’re probably small enough to fit…inside my shirt now, y’know?” Cameroon’s eyes widened and he smiled at her broadly. Serine lifted the front of her shirt forward slightly. Cameroon climbed in and started sliding sensually across Serine’s chest.

            “Ah, screw it, why wait for night?” Serine said. “Let’s have some fun now.” And with that Serine raced off into her bedroom and she and Cameroon would not be seen for several hours.

            In the living room, people sat and talked. Dave sat in Annie’s lap and Annie stroked his shoulders. The two were unabashed about their budding relationship. Sherri had once again come across Tom.

            “We just keep trading down, don’t we,” Said Sherri, pulling Tom to him before he could respond. “One and two, two and one, two and four, eight and four?” Tom resigned himself to the fact that he would once again be a plaything to Sherri. At least it wasn’t a much larger Sherri.

            Sandra and Bill were talking too. They weren’t a couple and they were sitting a respectable distance apart. But Sandra was a lot bigger than Bill, and Bill had a hard time keeping his eyes off her legs when she stretched them out. But Bill had something bigger on his mind.

            “You know,” Bill said. “There’s something fishy about this, all this.”

            “You mean with this entire game?” Asked Sandra.

            “Yeah,” Said Bill. “Think about it. It was planned downright lousy in my opinion. The competitions looked like something someone would cook up in their back yard, not a Southon studio. And have we seen anyone but Betty this whole time? I mean, when we were told we had won entry by Mr. Shlodder, but we never actually saw anyone but Betty.”

            “So you think that Betty is pulling the wool over our eyes?” Sandra asked.

            “That’s exactly what I think.” Bill said. He lowered his voice. “What if she’s not a hostess and doesn’t even work for anyone. What if she’s a con artist?”

            Sandra laughed. “I really dowbt it, Bill. You spent too much time in the navy; I don’t think there’re any conspiracy theories here.”

            “I know it sounds funny.” Bill said. “But imagine if she was just one person with a lot of money and a…a sick imagination!”

            “I was thinking about that,” Said Sherri, who had overheard and came to sit on Sandra’s other side, holding Tom. “It is awfully fishy.”

            “Yeah,” Said Bill. “I would think that any studio in Southon could hire scriptwriters much better than this. I mean, there’s no structure. We sit around in this living room most of the time.”

            “I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that,” Said Sandra.

            “Speak for yourself!” Said Sherri. “You’ve never been smaller than half-size!”

            “Hey, I can’t complain.” Sandra said. “So far I’ve been lucky in everything here except the shooting game!”

            “Well, the rest of us haven’t been so lucky.” Said Tom, and everyone laughed because they knew it was true, expecially for him.

            “I don’t know.” Sandra said. “I think it’s a game, no matter what you say. I just can’t believe that someone like Betty would be allowed to do this. I mean, come on, where does she get all her equipment?”

            This was a question that not even Bill could find a satisfactory answer to.

            “So let’s not worry about it, okay?” Sandra said, a little annoyed. “I’m sure this is nothing more than it seems.” And since Sandra was the biggest of the group of four, they all took this cue to stop talking about it.”

            A few hours passed and Serine had not yet come out of her room with Cameroon. Annie was getting annoyed, and she was getting hungry.

            “What does the ‘Queen’ think she’s doing?” Annie said angrily. “I’m hungry and she’s off playing dolls with Cameroon.”

            “We could try to make dinner.” Sandra said.

            “Didn’t we try that before, and didn’t we almost get killed?” Annie asked.

            “We didn’t really try.” Sandra said. “But if you’re hungry you might as well make something!”

            “Fine!” said Annie. “I will!”

            Everyone watched as she stormed up to the kitchen counter that was as high as she was. She tried to get on top of it but couldn’t. She opened one of the drawers halfway up and used it to give her the height she needed. Her light weight, less than eighteen pounds, did not break the drawer.

            Annie stood precariously on the top of the counter, and started to open the cabinet above. Finally Sandra’ conscious caught up with her. “Come on, let’s help.” She said, and they all walked forward.

            Sandra handed up Sherri, Bill, Dave, and Tom to Annie and then she boosted herself up. They worked together and were finally able to make pancakes. Despite the difficulty they faced they had a lot of fun. They all got a good laugh at Dave who tried to crack an egg bigger than his head and ended up getting the yoke all over himself.

            In less than twenty minutes they had made four pancakes. Relishing in their hard work, Sandra and Annie split one of the pancakes between themselves. Sherri, Bill, Dave, and Tom all split another pancake, which they didn’t even finish. Annie was still a little hungry and gobbled up the remains of their pancake. The other two pancakes they left out in case Serine wanted them when she emerged.

            Serine emerged about a half an hour after that to find everyone back in the living room. She was clutching Cameroon in her right hand. They had just spent an evening of exhilarating fun, an evening of unimaginable pleasure and touch. Poor Cameroon had been worn out, of course, but he found it well worth it.

            “Someone made pancakes!” Said Serine, noticing the two cold pancakes sitting on a plate by the stove.

            “Yeah,” Shouted Sandra from the other room. “We all made them.”

            “Thanks!” Said Serine, picking them up. “Hey, there are only two!”

            “Two filled all six of us, they should have no problem filling the two of you!” Said Sandra with a laugh. Serine rolled her eyes and then started devouring the pancakes that had filled six little people, giving little bits to Cameroon. Of course, the two pancakes did not satisfy the giantess’s appetite, so she prepared a little supplemental dish for herself.

            In the living room, the six of them were lounging around for a bit. Annie and Sandra talked about an alliance meeting, and Annie said she would get Tom. She snuck up behind Tom and as quickly as she could she lifted Tom up by his armpits. Tom nearly jumped out of his skin.

            “AH! What was that? Who did that?” Asked Tom, kicking his legs.

            “Shh, relax.” Annie pressed Tom into her chest so he would stop fighting. “It’s time for an alliance meeting.”

            “An alliance meeting?” Tom asked, incredulously.

            “Yes,” Said Annie, carrying Tom over to where Sandra sat. “You didn’t think we’d give it up after the last game, did you?”

            Tom didn’t say anything. The last time they had met as an alliance they were all on equal footing size-wise. Now Annie and Sanda were four times his height, looking down on him.

            “We have to come up with our strategy for the erratic shrinking.” Sandra said.

            “I can’t believe we’re still doing this!” Said Tom, disbelieving.

            “You want the help of the two lovely ladies of half-size to get you out of your prediciment?” Sandra asked. “Then listen up.”

            “But erratic shrinking,” Tom said. “It’s erratic, how can you make a strategy?”

            “It might not all be erratic.” Said Sandra. “There may be voting involved.”

            Tom decided he would play along, but he got the feeling he was more helping these girls then they were helping him. “Very well,” He said. “So what does that mean?”

            “Well, none of us want Serine to be big,” Said Sandra. “So there we go.”

            “Okay, fine.” Tom said.

            “And we still want to promote one of ourselves to be big.” Said Sandra.

            “And that is you?” Asked Tom.

            “Clearly.” Said Sandra.

            “Do you support this?” Tom turned to Annie.

            “We made a deal, didn’t we?” Asked Annie.

            “I suppose.” Said Tom. “Is there any other order of business?”

            “Well,” Said Sandra, “If anyone outside our group tries to raise up, we’ll keep them down.”

            “Sounds fair enough.” Tom said.

            “Okay, dismissed.” Sandra said.

            Those three were the only ones talking strategy. Dave, Sherri, and Bill were all sitting sepreate from each other. Annie went to pick up Dave, and Tom went to go think alone. Sandra, however, walked up to Bill.

            “Hi, Bill!” Said Sandra to the man who was half her height.

            “Hey,” Said Bill unenthusiastically, not looking at her.

            “Sorry I tried to shoot down your theory before.” Sandra said. “I still disagree, but, hey.”

            Bill turned his head to face her. “Why are you being nice to me?”

            “Hey,” Said Sandra. “Do you think I have alterior motives?”

            “Everyone seems to.” Bill said. “That’s the nature of the ‘game’, if it is a game at all.”

            “You just looked alone and friendless.” Sandra said. “And you know what’s happening tonight, right?”

            Bill looked up at her. “What’s happening tonight?”

            “The beds!” Said Sandra. “There are only four beds. Everybody’s nice and paired up at this point, except you and I. So I was thinking…”

            “I don’t know.” Bill said. “After Serine, I don’t think I want to try to start another relationship right now.”

            “Relationship?” Exclaimed Sandra. “I wasn’t talking about a relationship! Relationships don’t happen on reality shows like this? We have flings, yes, but not relationships, for crying out loud.”

            “So you want to have a fling?” Bill asked.

            “Uh-huh,” Said Sandra.

            “And…no expectations for anything to last?” Bill asked.

            “Bill,” Said Sandra. “After this game is over, I don’t intend to want to see anyone here ever again. No matter what happens, we’re through after the game.”

            Bill thought about it for a while. He had been so excited when Serine had been enlarged and he believed that he would be able to play with his giantess girlfriend…of course, that was just before the betrayal. In the physical respect, Sandra had just as much to offer. And in what she was proposing this was all that mattered.

            “Okay,” Said Bill at last.

            “Good man.” Said Sandra, extending her arms to him. Bill climbed in and Sandra carried him off to a quiet area they could talk and play.

            The evening rolled on and the four couples—each giantess and little man—stayed in their small groups and away from the others. Soon it became late and each couple departed, one by one, for bed.

            Cameroon slept very nicely tucked into Serine’s chest, and Serine slept very nicely as well. Dave played the part of Annie’s teddy bear as they lay peacefully snuggled in their bed. Sandra and Bill had their own bit of fun before they fell asleep a respectful distance from each other.

            But Sherri, holding Tom in their gigantic bed, wouldn’t sleep.

            “Tom, wake up?” Said Sherri, jiggling the tiny man awake.

            “Huh? Whatzup?” Said Tom sleepily.

            “I had an idea.” Said Sherri.

            “Hmm?” Tom asked groggily.

            “Betty has never had to unlock the compound door?” Said Sherri, trying to keep her voice down to a whisper. “What if it’s unlocked now? We could get in there and use the shrinking booth!”

            Tom was wide awake. “Do you think we can get away with it?” He asked.

            “If we’re sneaky enough.” Said Sherri. “Think about it. You and I could enlarge to regular size. Or better yet: what if we make ourselves bigger? That way we can grab Serine and put her in the machine and rule ourselves!”

            “Hey,” Said Tom. “That’s so crazy it might work.”

            “Yeah.” Said Sherri. “It’s about one in the morning now. I don’t suspect anyone else is up. Let’s go!”

            Sherri climbed out of bed all of sixteen inches tall. Eight-and-a-half inch Tom followed. The bed was high enough that Tom couldn’t get down without help, which Sherri oblidged. They changed out of their night clothes and then opened the door and snuck down the hall.

            They made it a point to be extra quiet, although it was very unlikely their tiny movements would make sound enough to alert anyone’s attention. Reaching the front door they opened the flap and walked out.

            The night had grown a bit cool and Sherri picked up Tom for warmth and to speed up their walk. The walk to the compound was short but to Sherri seemed a block or two away. She could not reach the doorknob but she was able to hold Tom up high enough to do it. The doorknob was wider than Tom’s body and it took all his strength to open it, but miraculously it opened.

            Sherri and Tom entered the room. There was a dim light on sitting near the top of the wall, which gave them enough light to see by. Sherri looked around the room for anything that might resemble a control box. Suddenly she noticed the remote control that Betty had used to operate the booth outdoors sitting on a low table.

            This was too easy.

            Sherri climbed up onto the table and helped Tom up with her. She looked at the remote control. The display had three lines: factor, delay, and mode.

            “Hmm.” Sherri said. “Well, I’m a quarter of my normal size, and you’re an eighth. So if I put a factor of sixteen in I’ll be twice my normal size! If I set it to enlarge—there!”

            “Will you be able to fit out the door?” Tom asked. Sherri looked at the immense door and judged it. She would be so happy when she was a giantess. She figured that at twice her size she could probably do it.

            “Yeah,” Sherri said.

            “What does ‘mode’ do?” Tom asked.

            “Shrinking and enlarging.” Sherri said.

            “And delay…hey, we can both go in together! Set the delay for thirty seconds!” Tom said excitedly. There wouldn’t be an awful lot of room in the shrink booth when Sherri was eleven feet tall, but there should be just enough to squeeze him in at full-size.

            “Okay.” Sherri said. “It’s set. Let’s go!”

            With that, Sherri grabbed up Tom, hopped off the table, and ran to the shrinking booth. She put Tom down and stood inside, waiting. The timer on the remote ticked.

            “Do we have to shut the door?” Tom asked. His question was immediately answered when the door shut automatically. They waited in anticipation…then there was a bright flash of light.

            When they stopped seeing dots, Tom and Sherri looked around. Something went wrong. They were not bigger. Not only were they not bigger, they had shrunk again. They were half the size they had been just a minute ago. Sherri was now about eight inches tall, and Tom stood a mere four inches of the ground.

            “Oh, no!” Said Sherri, almost ready to panic. Tom was frozen with fear.

            Suddenly, the door on the other side of the shrinking booth the other door opened. There, looking so absolutely huge she could have been the statue of liberty, stood Betty, fully dressed and a smile on her face.

            “Oh boy, we are in trouble now.” Said Betty to the quivering tiny folk.

Chapter End Notes:

Oooh! What's going to happen now? Stay tuned to find out!