- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The story may seem pretty plain so far, but I promise GTS theme's are coming. Story developement is still my priority at the moment, so I hope you continue reading and enjoying it.

      Jim stared down with an anxious grimace. The experiment set before him was far from the normal uncomplicated experiments he was used to. Doing calculations in his head he made minuet adjustments to the experiment. From here it got much worse, "this is seriously wrong!" The machine seemed to be smoking and Jim was in a panic.

      At this moment Carol walked in holding a stuffed teddy bear while half asleep. Surveying the scene, she looked at her ridiculous husband. There like some whacko, he was dressed in nothing but his lab coat, as he performed yet another wasteful experiment. "What the hell are you doing Jim!"

      Jim turned around making his wife Carol blush, "I'm a scientist conducting a very important experiment Carol, do not interrupt me!" Her blush subsiding, Carol was ready to break out laughing at her husband.

      "You should at least put on more than your lab coat before trying to make breakfast."

      "I am a scientist, wearing a lab coat during an experiment is fundamentally right. You're just a little girl in her pajama's holding a teddy bear!" In this moment the charred eggs burst into flames. Perhaps Carols anger did too, but, you would never know it by her appearance, Teddy still hanging to the floor.

      Putting out the fire with nearby pan, Carol now looked furious. "Why would such a talented physicist who can build a time machine even try to cook breakfast, when you can't even properly turn on the stove, are you trying to kill us!"

      Jim started to look sad and pout, "but I just.."

      "No doggy face Jim! You think that will work just because I'm a small petite girl!" She stormed past Jim without another word tossing the smoldering pan into the sink.

      Breakfast ended shortly after, a bowl of oatmeal was the only evidence that remained on the table, only half eaten. With new equations to draft for the next stage of the research, the two would be very busy for the next few hours.

      Jim walked back in fourth in front of a large chalk board, mumbling with each pass. Carol thought of this process as very old school, but very much like Jim. She on the other hand had a very lightweight tablet computer, and felt that Jim's eye's were scornful of that. Jim's thoughts were apparent to Carol, he thought scientists should play the part, but in truth she felt that he was just like that. Jim was no villainous mad scientist though, he was harmless, unless around a kitchen stove. Somehow it always warmed her heart to know he tried to cook for her, even if he couldn't even manage the art of boiling water. It was also perhaps her secret to staying thin.

      With the afternoon's sun came a pause for the couple. Refusing to allow Jim to cook, Carol had opted out for them to eat tomato sandwiches. It was a quaint lunch, lasting no more than a half hour. Still they both enjoyed it, and the house hadn't burned down, so all was well.

      Jim always said that a scientist must stay in shape, as a result he would always go for a hour jog. Of course on rainy days Jim would often spend it with Carol instead, despite being geniuses, the two would often play board games, or watch a movie together. Today was beautiful though, so Carol kissed him as he left for his jog. "Now if only I could convince him to not jog in his lab coat." She thought.

      With Jim gone, Carol had numerous hobbies, but today she decided on a bath. This was her alone time so she saw fit to do what she pleased. While sitting and relaxing in the tub Carol went over several of the new equations in her head. Jim's calculations were always so flawless, she couldn't help but wonder why the world's greatest mind was given to Jim. He was a genius, a screwball, but at least he was her screwball.

      With the afternoon gone, and the evening setting in, steps towards the first practical experiments in reverse time travel were about to be underway. With the power of the collider set, and a new formula input, Carol hit the sequence activator. In a flash the small sticky note marked, "Test 001", disappeared into the Kerr black hole. Carol noticed a small surge of gravitational eddo's but was not concerned. "How do we know it worked?" Asked Carol.

      Jim thought for a moment, "the note should have appeared in the lab approximately nine hours ago." Carol looked around, "I never saw anything like that when I was cleaning the lab earlier today." "Also why nine hours?"

      "Neither of us were in the lab during breakfast, and at that time you had just gone into sweep the lab, so you should have noticed them right away."

      "But I never saw them, so maybe it didn't work?"

      "It's, that, then. If my theory is correct Carol, then we have witnessed the restorative power of history in action." Carol looked confused but nodded anyways. "In order for history not to change, History itself has played a role in erasing the presence of the note from our minds."

      He stood up by the chalkboard as he drew a time line for the sequence of that day.  "I highly suspect that the note was present, just not able to be seen or perceived, otherwise the universe might destroy itself."

      Carol looked shocked, "how is that possible Jim, I never even.." Jim dumped the trashcan out in front of Carol as she was speaking. Carol was shocked by what she saw.

      Two sticky note papers stuck out amongst the other trash. One read, "Test 001", the other read, "Test 002, I was right Carol".

      "Where did this second note come from?" Asked the baffled Carol.

      "I haven't written it yet, but I will." Said Jim.

      "Wait if you haven't written it yet, what would happen if you failed to write it!" Carol was frightened with these words.

      "Hmm, the world might fall into a giant  black hole, the size of which this collider could never even dream to make." He pated the particle collider in the Lab with emphasis. "Simply put, it would be the end of everything. I think?"

      Carol watched as Jim wrote the second note, with a flash he sent it back to the past. She felt sick, the implications of their work could very well destroy everything. Jim seemed to take it in stride, he seemed more excited than worried. "Was he a villain after all?" Carol put that thought to the back burner of her mind. "If he's the villain then I'm a henchman!"

      Jim pondered a moment, "We need to test the theory of, *the restorative power of history*, I will go back nine hours and confirm it."

      Carol looked shocked, "no further tests!" She looked at Jim as she yelled. "It's far too dangerous!"

      He just wanted to just travel through time again. Carol embraced her husband tightly in her bosom, "It's too dangerous Jim, we have no idea if you will make it this time, you might even destroy the Earth! No, the Universe!"

      "I'll be careful my worrisome wife, I'll be careful not to mess with time, and of course I'll come back to you in nine hours." Carol tried to bar his way, but she was pushed to the side by her own emotions, how could she stop him from doing what he loved.

      Jim dawned his Helmet yet again and stood on the particle colliders Kerr black hole generator. "I am Jim the Mad scientist, and I will return for you in nine hours, my Carol!" Said Jim as a bright flash enveloped him.

To be Continued.

Chapter End Notes:

Hello I hope you enjoyed the second chapter of my fourth story on GW!

Devleoping the charaters further in this chapter I felt gave them more life for the coming chapters. Sorry I took so long to update. I hope you find Jim's and Carol's tale as humorus as I do. I will try to write some more soon.

As always I congratulate you if you read this far, and I hope you can do me the honor of pointing out any mistakes you saw, or provide me with positive criticism or feedback. Knowing people enjoy my stories can't help but make me want to write more.

 Thank you,

EricAFreak