- Text Size +
Rena leaned gently against the door to the apartment, exhausted after her long day of work, and slipped off her shoes before stepping into the hall. She dropped her small handbag the the side of the passage and proceeded onward. She could see lights on in the living room and coming from her sisters’ bedrooms, so people were still awake. She slid open the door to her room quietly, quickly closing it behind herself as she checked the dresser. Sure enough, the thick glass jar was still there - the morning hadn’t been some bizarre hallucination or waking-dream. Relief that she hadn’t lost her mind mixed with anxiety over the next steps of her brother’s salvation as she walked across the room, picking up the jar gently and holding it up to the light. Inside she could see the little speck she had seen in greater detail reflected in her magnifying mirror. The tiny fleck of dust that represented her brother’s undoubtedly terrified form. The bizarreness of it all washed over her, and she stood transfixed by the idea for a moment. Quietly, she headed for the study.

Yasushi awoke to movement, rapid changes in inertia marked his prison’s carriage in the hands of his big sister as she took him to the small workshop. He watched, almost uncaring as she gingerly stepped into the cramped space, lit only by the high-powered lamp over the bench, and closed the door behind her. She turned, placing the jar on the workbench and learning over the simple plastic and metal stool to inspect the machinery.

“Charge says ‘Good’... this… number is what the paper says is right. Change the ‘Operational Mode’ to ‘Revert’...” she quietly spoke to herself, operating each switch and dial after consulting the papers spread across the desk. He watched as she pushed on the little 3-position switch that determined which part of the device was fired.

*click*

The little switch moved to the middle position. The middle position. Yasushi panicked, leaping to his feet and banging his fists ineffectually against the glass. Two lights were lit on a small panel to his sister’s side. Of the three indicators, “Reduce”, “Restore” and “Safe”, both Reduce and Restore were lit.

The jar shook as Rena picked it up, upending it and tipping her tiny brother onto the palm of her hand. He watched, still shouting and waving as she set the glass object aside before reaching for him with her index finger and thumb. The two collossal digits closed on him, pinching him with surprising dexterity and lifting him from the palm of the girl’s other hand, and his surroundings blurred. A moment later Yasushi regained his bearings, still held gingerly between his sister’s fingertips, now immediately in front of the complicated device on the desk. He writhed with all his strength as Rena reached for the discharge button, and the world went white.

The young man awoke moments later, a flash of deja-vu sweeping over him as he stared at the ceiling of his small work area. As he looked left and then right, something was different. The ground was visibly bumpy and littered with fairly hefty objects every few feet, cylindrical and dull-coloured tubes. As he get to his feet, he realised what they were - dust. The machine had discharged in both restore and reduce modes, and the net effect had reduced him to at least a tenth of a millimetre in height. The realisation made time seem to stand still, until the door swung open and Yui marched im, her bare feet slapping against the cold workshop floor as she called out her sister’s name. She must have heard the machine working and come to investigate.

“Rena? Is that… what happened?” Yui said gently, her eyes fixed on the stool. Of course, where was Rena? She wasn’t visible from the floor, so the device must have affected her too.

“How did this happen? I’m… I’m going to put you on the desk, hang on.” Yui said, looking intently at the stool. Yasushi watched as she picked something, presumably his reduced sister, up off the chair and stood to full height again, her eyes fixed on her cupped hands. She resumed walking, and the dust-mote sized man on the floor realised his peril only too late as his little sister moved to sit down, walking between the desk and the stool, her bare sole slamming down on top of her diminutive sibling. She hopped up, being slightly too short to sit with her feet on the ground, and allowed her legs to swing slightly as she set her older sister on the table and began to examine the desk area.

Yasushi, to his own surprise, was very much alive, but found himself now trapped, clinging by a thick layer of sweat to his youngest sister’s third toe, just by where it joined her foot. He could move, pulling himself through the viscous coating with no regard for gravitation, the film of perspiration holding him even upside down as he heard his sisters talk high above. Rena clearly mentioned him some moments later as Yui knelt on the floor, searching to and fro around the desk looking for another tiny person, unaware that he was stranded among the products of her hot return journey from school.

She gave up looking, eventually, and focussed on restoring her sister. She faithfully followed the little Rena’s instructions and restored the girl, and as a family they combed the area with magnifying lenses and zoom cameras looking for their brother. He was never found. All through the recharge time before Rena was restored, and all through the family’s search for him, he remained resident between the crevices of Yui’s toes. His new life continues for weeks, living off her sweat and tiny flakes of skin, retreating into tiny pockets of air in the young girl’s pores when she bathed, and forgetting about his old life. Here he lived, a parasite to his sister for 3 years before she suffered an unrelated itch under her toes and without warning liquidised her long-lost brother between an extended fingernail and the supple flesh of her sole.