- Text Size +
Eventually, his colossal sister awoke groggily, spending at least half an hour snoozing her alarm clock before sitting upright and stretching. As she yawned, her miniscule speck of a brother was treated to a view of the colossal cavern of her mouth from his position at it’s corner, still stuck firmly in place. He screamed and shouted to no avail as the titanic girl stood and gathered some clothes for the day from a chest of drawers, laying them on the bed before sitting at a small dresser. She reached out and flipped a small white switch, toggling a ring of powerful off-white lights around the main mirror, before pulling an elaborate makeup set out from a drawer. Opening the box, she quickly pulled a small magnifying mirror into place in the centre of the table, and took a moment to examine her face. She looked tired, undoubtedly the stress and fatigue from work could not be dispelled with a single night’s sleep. As she looked closer, pulling back her eyelids for a moment checking her eyes for redness and running her fingers down the smooth skin of her cheeks, she spotted something unusual. There was some dirt or something stuck to the right corner of her mouth. She leaned in still further to the mirror, and allowed her mouth to drop open in surprise as she saw the shape of a miniscule person.

Yasushi was elated as the subtly-distorted reflections of his sibling’s huge dark eyes fixed onto him, and she expressed surprise instead of disgust or boredom as Yui had done when she inadvertently picked him up before. He watched as his sister took a moment to collect her thoughts before moving her hand slowly to a tiny brush by her makeup kit. She pushed it towards him, and he grabbed onto the bristles as it broke him free of his saliva prison. He found himself being held up once again before the distressingly large eyeball of one of his siblings as she inspected his tiny naked form. How much she could make out, he didn’t know, but surely she could tell he was human?

“Can you shout to me?” she whispered suddenly.

Yasushi bellowed with all his might, but no reaction was registered upon the girl’s face. She watched for a moment, before moving the brush slowly to her right ear, holding the tip and the miniature person close to the opening. Again he cried out, but there came no reaction.

“I guess you’re too small. Or I’m imagining things… No. Surely not” his sister mumbled.

“Is it something in that room? I’ll.. I’ll be back.” she continued, placing the brush gently down on the desk before dashing out of her room, still clad in her delicate pyjamas.

Yasushi felt himself exhaling a sigh of relief. “I’ve been found!” he thought, “She can read the paper I left in there, the instructions, the logs! She can turn me back!”

After the longest fifteen minutes of his life, Rena returned to the desk, and gingerly picked up the brush and it’s helpless charge.
“I can’t believe you made that. It was you, right? A shrinking machine? I read through the papers on the desk quickly, and I’ve plugged it in. The dial… thing? said it would take 6 or 7 hours, so you’ll have to wait a bit. I think I can work it, it seems simple. I think, anyway… I said that about the smartphone I ended up donating to Yui didn’t I?”

Yasushi watched his gorgeous older sister rant a little, and allowed a smile to grace his face for the first time since the accident. Hearing someone acknowledge him as a person was in itself a huge relief. He had started to think he’d never be spoken to directly again.

“At least she could figure it out, right? Heheh… oh! The time! I’m gonna be late! Sorry Yasu, I’ll put you somewhere safe while I’m at work and we’ll fix you up tonight.” his sister announced, before hastily looking around the room. She stood, spotting something, and marched across the room to the chest of drawers, plucking a medium sized glass jar from atop it. The jar was unmarked, but looked as if it had been washed recently.

“This was Mika’s, I noticed she’d washed it out and was going to take it to her, but I carried it in here on my way somewhere last night and forgot. She won’t mind us using it, I expect she wanted to put a plant in here or something.”

Yasushi experienced a bizarre sense of vertigo as the brush he was on was thrust through the opening of the heavyweight jar, the massive sides sliding past him like canyon walls. The brush prodded gently against the base of the vessel, and the tiny man fell from the bristles onto the cold glass surface. Rena took the brush back out before turning her attention to the lid - a thin metal screw-top.

“Just like when we were kids, huh?” she joked to herself, poking a hole in the thin lid with a ballpoint pen, before screwing it gently back onto the jar.

“There we go! Alright, I’ve got to finish getting ready. I’ll see you tonight.”

He watched in silence as his sister speedily applied some light makeup and sprinted to the bathroom clothes in hand to change, and heard the slam of the front door a moment later. “I’m safe…” he spoke quietly to himself, not believing it even in its spoken form.
Perhaps he was right not to.