- Text Size +
Chapter 22

Hey guys, I’d like to thank everyone who has reviewed this story for their support. I’ve enjoyed the feedback that all of you have given me. But there comes a time when an author wants to know what his readers’ thinks about parts of his story. Also I’d like to know how well I’m conferring information to the readers. If you have the time could you guys answer some of these questions.
What is your most/least favorite moment in this entire story?
Who/what do you think Icarus is?
Who/what do you think Raphael is?
What abilities could each treasure have?
What is Icarus’ Sphere?
If you had one request for the story what would it be?
What theories do you guys have?
What are the two secrets that Icarus can never know?


Icarus was holding unto the top of Terra’s shirt as she ran towards the village. Even though over half his body was inside Terra’s shirt, Icarus would not loosen his death grip. Icarus watched on as people ran past Terra trying to escape the village. Terra had run past this group as she made her way towards the center of the village with her sword drawn. Several corpses could be spotted as Terra continued onward. Turning the last corner, Terra skidded to a stop as she singled out her target. In front of a burning house were four crouched figures over top of a presumably dead corpse. Turning their heads towards Terra, the group slowly rose towards her.

[Beastmen] said Icarus as the closest one let out a monstrous roar.

Terra didn’t have time to ask questions as all four figures charged towards her. She didn’t know what they were, but the fact that they used their hands to run meant that they defiantly weren’t human. As the first one sprung forward, Terra quickly disposed of it with a powerful downward swing of her sword. Pulling her sword out of the dead corpse, Terra sent her left fist into the side of the second figures head.

[To your left!] shouted Icarus.

It was too late as Terra felt a sharp pain on her left forearm as one of the figures dug its fangs into Terra’s arm. In that split second, Terra noticed that this thing had the head of a wolf, with the body of a man. Using her other hand, Terra brought her fist down upon its skull. It took Terra another hit to kill the beast as she tossed it to the ground. Terra felt the last creature collide into her as she stumbled forward. Grabbing behind her, Terra flung the monster through the closest door to her.

“What the hell are those things!” shouted Terra as the beast rushed towards Terra again.

[Beastmen, they made up a part of Gideon’s army during the war,] replied Icarus as he held onto Terra’s shirt. [They’re the product of mixing slaves and animals with dark magic!]

Terra didn’t have time to question Icarus as she thrust her sword through the beastman’s throat. Terra estimated that these beasts were at least seven and a half feet tall and weighed around four hundred pounds. Kicking the beast away, Terra didn’t have time to rest as several more howls came around them. Looking around, Terra found over a dozen more of these things emerge from around corners or through the houses.

[Terra, get out of here!] shouted Icarus looking at the beastmen as they advanced slowly.

“If I leave then more people will die!” replied Terra as she placed her back against the wall of the closest house.

Icarus was about to argue until a giant hand lifted him out of Terra’s shirt. Icarus was rushed through the air and released. A second later, Icarus landed hard on his side. Looking down, Icarus found Terra turning back around to face the advancing group.

“Stay up there till I’m done!” ordered Terra as she readied herself.

Icarus was petrified as one by one the group charged towards Terra. At first Terra was able to hold the monsters back. At least four beastmen lay slain at Terra’s feet as a few more ran from different directions. Terra’s sword was knocked from her hand as two beastmen ran into her right side. Tears started welling up in Icarus’ eyes as Terra continued to fight against the overwhelming hoard. A series of cracking sounds could be heard as every blow that Terra landed would break several bones of whichever beast she hit. Icarus could see blood trickling from Terra’s right arm as she continued fighting.

For several agonizing minutes Icarus watched on as one by one the beastmen fell by Terra’s hands. Icarus could feel the amount of pain Terra was in as she finally whittled down their numbers till only three were left. It was at this time that Icarus finally heard a cracking sound behind him. Turning around, Icarus was met with the sight of two more beastmen. Unlike the wolves Terra was fighting, these two stood only four feet tall with dark green scales. A hissing sound could be heard as the two started moving towards Icarus once again. The smaller of the two beastmen split off towards the left as the larger one continued it’s advanced.

[Help] thought Icarus as he backed away.

Turning around, Terra found Icarus standing near the edge of the roof as two creatures advanced on him. Terra was about to snatch Icarus away from the ledge until she was tackled to the ground by two of the beastmen. The third one soon joined in as Terra fought to free herself. Icarus was close to panicking as the two massive beasts advanced forward. Icarus misjudged the distance that he was from the larger of the two beastmen as it sprung forward. Icarus just saw a pair of fangs extend outwards as he dived to his right. Luck was on his side as the beastman missed Icarus completely and was soon falling from the roof. Icarus didn’t have time to think as he bolted off towards his right.

Even though Icarus ran as fast as he could, he soon found himself pinned painfully underneath a huge scaled hand. The pressure was enough so that Icarus found it impossible to breathe as he looked up into the serpent’s eyes. A second later Icarus felt a searing pain shoot through him as the monster dug its fangs deep into his right leg. Icarus soon found the pressure being released from him as another large body collided with the beastman. The pain from his leg soon expanded towards the rest of his body as every muscle in his body started to spasm. From what feeling that Icarus had left, he could tell that he was being lifted back into the air. His vision and hearing soon disappeared as he was falling into an excruciating state of consciousness.


Terra had just finished off the three remaining beastman as she felt a sharp pain in her left calf. Looking down, Terra quickly grabbed the head of the smaller creature as crushed its skull. Looking back up for Icarus, Terra found her companion pinned underneath another creature. A fit of rage went through Terra as she flung the body at the creature at the beastman. As soon as Icarus was freed from the creature’s grasps, Terra retrieved Icarus from the roof top.

The sphere in the back of her mind was emitting unbelievable amounts of pain as Icarus thrashed around in Terra’s hands. Looking for a wound, Terra found a large gash on Icarus’ right leg with a smaller exit wound on the back side. Seeing the surrounding area turning a light blue, Terra brought Icarus’ leg up to her lips. Enclosing his entire leg inside of her mouth, Terra began to gently suck away at the wound trying to extract as much of the poison as possible. After a few seconds of sucking, Terra spit out the mixture of blood and poison from her mouth as she tore off a small piece of her clothing. Tying a knot above the wound, Terra quickly placed Icarus into her chest as she took off out again.

Minutes later, Terra came to a halt in front of Chuck as she started gathering her supplies. After quickly explaining her situation to Chuck, Terra was partially relieved as chuck pulled out a small green vial from his wagon for Terra to use. It wouldn’t be enough to cure Icarus, but it should give Terra enough time. Terra was able to administer a little dose to Icarus’ wound before she carefully placed the vial in her pocket. Terra left the pony in Chuck’s care as she bolted down the road with their packs in tow. If Terra was lucky she could make it back home in time to save Icarus. Terra’s only hope was that Icarus could last the trip as she ran northward.