- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Just bear with me for a few more chapters. Around chapter 7 or 8 is when this story earns its tags. Promise!

Surely this woman was insane. He had just been besieged by an elephant sized something that looked almost like a lion, and here she was telling him "if you can keep up." Thankfully she had at least gained enough sense to realize she had to at least help, but this wasn't even close to good enough. He snorted and shook his head.

"If I can keep up…are you living in the same world I am? You're the size of Godzilla! At a slow walk, I could barely keep up." This was followed by more head shaking. "Look, clearly we're operating with two totally different views of reality. If being a decent person doesn't work around here, does bartering? If you quit being so cruelly stubborn and just help me out here, I will play you whatever you want, just for you. I am the most talented guitarist out there. Need to get all romantic with your boyfriend and want special music just for that? I can help you out, though by the way you act I would hazard a guess that you've never even held a guy's hand let alone kissed one. Regardless. For whatever evil purpose I'm sure you'd concoct, I will make my not-insignificant abilities available to you. All you have to do is stop acting all high and mighty just because you happen to be the size of a building and help repay your debt to me. It's that fucking easy."

Anna stopped and stared back at him. "Compromise. Keep up with me to the next campsite." She glanced at the sun. "When the sun reaches its zenith, in probably another hour or two, I will stop for the day. By that point, I should have arrived at my next location."

She watched him for a moment. "Males are deceitful and useless for anything other than creating children. I will not let myself be wooed then dumped by one. I am not foolish enough to believe my family is the norm rather than the exception."

A smirk made its way across Adrian's face, "So I was right. What, you got scorned in middle school or something and since then men are evil?" He glared at her before mumbling under his breath, "Fucking bitch." Faced with no other alternative, the not at all outdoorsy musician was forced to struggle along out of breath for over an hour before the giant sexist finally came to a halt.

He was still beyond infuriated with her and it was quickly growing into something verging beyond detesting her. The moment he was somewhere safe and could seek alternative help he planned to. But, prior to that, he wanted to show her how simpleminded her point of view was and spite her. "Well, unlike you, I'm not a dick, so I'll play you the song anyway. You're lucky I like to practice before bed anyway. I'll just start going unless you think of something you'd like to hear. Though, considering the barbaric nature of your views on gender, I don't expect you to know anything about music. Ahem." With that, his instrument was removed from its elegant case and put to use in a remarkably gentle way: clearly the man knew his way around everything from the heaviest of metal to the softest of ballads.

Anna had a fire going and her tent pitched by the time Adrian had finished playing. She sat down and spitted a couple of tree rodents she had snagged for dinner. As the last of their juices flowed from their bodies and popped in the flames, she spoke.

"My grandfather, great-grandfather, great-uncles and my uncle are good men. They love their wives and family with no strings attached. My father is not the case. He got my mother pregnant then ran off. Then, one night when he was drunk, he called her up and the Prince only knows how, convinced her to sleep with him again. She woke up pregnant, again, and to an empty bed. Males, outside of those in my family, are deceitful and useless."

Frustrated with telling her story to a total stranger, she drew a wooden flute from her backpack and began playing. It was soft and sad sounding, high and reedy in its tone. The tempo was slow and mournful, matching the look in her eyes as she watched the rodents cook. Soon, they were done.

She put the flute back in its case and put it beside her bedroll in the tent. After retrieving the rodents from the fire, she blew carefully one the foot of one to cool it down. She then broke off a toe and handed it to the human beside her.

"My name is Anna."

Adrian begrudgingly took the scorched piece of toe and only put it in his mouth, timidly at that, after his stomach refused to quiet itself. "Well, Anna, it's incredibly immature of you to let one man ruin your opinion of all the others, as unfortunate as things may be with him. For example, if I had to judge women purely based off of my time with you, I think I might have to become a mass murderer. And not to mention, at one point, those men wouldn't have been in your family: they'd of had to marry into it. Whatever though. Don't worry, the second I find someone else to help me I'll be more than happy to get away from you."

Having finished the succulent delicacy, Adrian made his way into the tent and picked out a corner for himself. He had no desire to get close to her, physically or otherwise: last thing he needed was for her to roll over in her sleep and smother him. Not nearly as comfortable as he would have liked, he settled down onto the floor with his guitar case.

"My friends and fans call me Adrian, but since you're neither of those, I suppose you'll have to come up with an alternative until we manage to go our separate ways."

Anna rolled her eyes. The male clearly had an attitude problem. She banked the fire and walked into the tent. She zipped it close and stretched out on her bedroll. For now, the tent was warm but she knew the temperature was going to drop. She could practically smell the rain on the horizon. A coastal storm meant cold weather. She snuggled into her bedroll with a warning to the human.

"It is going to get cold tonight. You can sleep on my bedroll when you need the heat."

She rolled to face the tent wall and quickly fell asleep.

The guitarist made a tremendous effort to last through the entire night, but soon enough he was shivering uncontrollably. Much to his dismay, he made his way across the floor over to where the giantess was slumbering. Mind, he was used to sleeping in five star hotels with full temperature control, so not even the bedroll quite made the cut. Still unbearably chilled, he noticed a gap between her arm and torso. With a defeated sigh he wormed his way in towards her underarm where it was, much as he hated to admit it, incredibly toasty. Unfortunately though, she had clearly not showered the day previous, obvious considering she used a tent to sleep in, and that scent was amplified tenfold for the small youth who was now pressed into her.

"This is fucking bullshit…I should be in a warm bed with blankets, not pressed into some giant psycho-feminist's armpit…ugh." Sleeping conditions notwithstanding, Adrian was unable to fight off the creeping feelings of warmth and fatigue and soon succumbed to both.

Anna stirred sometime during the night. She instantly froze when she felt the human pressed into the space under her arm. What the...? That had to be gross. Yet he was apparently that cold.

She sighed and shifted him away from her armpit. She happened to catch a whiff of both him and herself and scrunched her nose. She definitely needed to clean up. She turned on her side and moved the young man underneath the covers. He slept like a dead man as she pulled him to her stomach and curled around him. She fell back asleep as she laid the covers across her shoulders.