- Text Size +

"No wonder you're so evil: you have some malevolent, fucked up friends. God damn. How in the world is that kind of behavior tolerated? All the more reason to get home I guess." Adrian pushed aside what was left of dinner and scowled. Clearly, whatever appetite he had was now gone. "And you'd seriously hand me over to someone like that? You must really hate men."

By that point Adrian began to wonder if Anna hadn't partaken in such activity herself and had just happened to choose to be merciful to him as an exception.

"Ya know, when I was in high school this girl had a crush on me, and the way she chose to express that was by being as much of a bitch to me as possible. So, if this is some clandestine attempt to hit on me or something, I would advise a different strategy."

"I told you I would keep you alive, didn't I? I'm not going to give you to them. But you seem desperate to get back to a massive crowd of people that will fawn and drool over you, so I thought I would give you the option of going to someone who would pay attention to you."

She gathered up the rest of the meat and packed it away since it was now dry. The skin she stretched out between a couple of trees, contemplating what to do with it.

"Have a crush on you? I don't even know you." She came back and reenlarged the plate. The meat she threw into the bushes and the plate she scrubbed with sand. She packed the dishes into her bag and tossed it into the tent. She glanced at the sun. It was barely mid-afternoon. "I hate sitting still. Especially when I have work to do."

Frustrated, she pulled out her flute and began to play. The tune was unfamiliar to Adrian, but Anna knew it by heart. It was haunting and sad, and any native of the island would be tearing up by the time she finished. When she was done, she carefully cleaned the flute and put it back in its case.

Adrian made a face that seemed to say "not bad." He responded by unpacking his guitar and raising his eyebrows in a way which read as "check this out." He was an accomplished musician beyond mere star status and had been playing since he was barely ten years old; thus, he had no problem mimicking what she had already played, though he managed to perform it in a way which was infinitely more majestic and satisfying and even had soaring, screaming bends. A slight breeze kicked up his hair and, in conjunction with his shirtless-ness, completed the effect. In short, had he of been playing back home, he would have been swarmed by women with melted hearts.

Shortly after finishing his extended solo and concluding the song, he realized she probably didn't even care and slid his guitar away while wearing a rather flat expression. He rubbed the back of his head, not sure what further to do.

"A word of advice, if you want to live in peace on the island, even if you don't want to stay long, never replicate that song in any other fashion then what I played. It is sacred here." She stood and stretched, her shirt riding up a little. "Really, I shouldn't have played it for you, but it was just what came to mind at the moment."

She braced her feet shoulder width apart and bent at the waist. She was more than flexible enough to put her forearms flat on the ground. With her head tucked to her chest, her words came out slightly muffled. "Although it sounded good for a human."

She put her palms flat on the ground and pushed herself into a handstand. Her legs spread outwards until she was doing a split in the air. This time, her toes and the balls of her feet touched the ground.

Adrian was beyond impressed with his captor's flexibility. He whistled in awe, "Man, didn't realize I was travelling with a yoga expert. And thanks: I didn't expect to get a compliment from you. Though, I have to amend that it sounded a lot better than merely good. I fuckin' nailed that."

He watched for a moment, expecting her to finish at any time. "So uh, we gonna get going or what? I still plan on making tonight's show ya know." He crossed his arms and made a conscious decision to try and not find anything about Anna or her flexibility attractive. Especially not her total self-reliance and taught muscles.

"I get it- you're delaying our trip so that you can see me without my shirt for longer. Good effort, but I'm on to ya!"

She flipped herself into a split on the ground before sitting cross-legged. "I already told you. If I took you to my great-grandparents', and they were able to get you a ship and get themselves one, it would probably be a couple weeks at the earliest. That isn't counting the day or so it would take me to walk back to them. You aren't going anywhere anytime soon."

She laid herself flat across her legs, pressing her forehead to the ground. This stretched out her lower back. "And besides, I'm not going anywhere until tomorrow. It's too late to reach the next camping spot before nightfall. If you hadn't wandered off, we may have reached it already. But since I had to save your ass, I lost the afternoon."

Adrian sat with a sigh, not rebutting that he wouldn't have had to run away if she had only been significantly less cruel. "So, you're just gonna stretch until it's time to sleep then? What the hell am I supposed to do in the mean time?"

Having nothing better to do he contented himself with letting his eyes slowly make their way across Anna's huge yet graceful body. "So you really think men are just for reproducing huh? You've never ever wanted to have a boyfriend or, at the very least, just make out with a dude or something because of a physical attraction?" He found it impossible to fathom that her hatred was so complete as to make her a eunuch. If nothing else, fit as she was she must have been hit on at least once, until the person learned of her cold personality anyway.

"No. Never. When the time comes for me to have children, I will adopt. I won't shame my family again by having children out of wedlock." She put her hands behind her, her feet under her and pushed herself into an outward facing arch.

"As for the afternoon. I'm not sure. There's only a couple hours of daylight left. I may go for a swim or climb a tree to have a better look at the weather and the coast line." She stood and proceeded to complete a series of no-hands back-hand-springs.

"I need to clean that sliade hide and figure out what to do with it. I could probably make you some clothes and a bedroll out of it without completely ruining the hide for normal use."

"Gosh you can really be a downer, ya know that? Have you really not ever considered that the problem is simply that your dad is an asshole and that it has nothing to do with the fact that he's a man? And having a boyfriend doesn't necessarily mean kids out of wedlock." Adrian was trying really hard to be persuasive. "Don't get me wrong, I'm not pleading my own case here. It's just that you're so…rigid and angst-ridden. I think you'd be amazed at how much having someone close whom you can confide in will improve your life. Again, not that I'm trying to win you over for my benefit. I just shudder to think at how crusty and angry you'll in a few short years if you continue the way you have been." He chuckled, looking her over. "Or, to put things another way, I wouldn't let your dad's bad decision making skills prevent you from having a good time while you're young and able." Adrian decided to try and appeal to her strong, inherently adversarial nature. "If he's already hurt you and your mother, why would you let him win against you even more by allowing him to affect your own decisions? I know my mom always wanted to see some grandkids." He sniggered at the last bit. Hopefully what he was saying was making some sense to her, thick as her skull may have been, literally and figuratively.

"And I dunno about the clothes thing: wearing freshly cut off skin is a bit of a weird thought, and I'm hoping that the longer I'm topless the less pissed off you'll be. Is it working?"

"You know nothing of this culture. We are monogamous. We have one partner until we die and we do not cultivate a sexual relationship with them until after marriage. So, while I am 'young and able' I will serve my island by traveling as its cartographer."

She stretched out behind him, resting her chin on her forearms. "The sliade hide clothes will be infinitely warmer than what you're currently wearing. And, until this point, I hadn't noticed you were still topless. I thought you had wizened up at least somewhat since you ran off and nearly got eaten. I figured you would have listened and put your shirt back on." A puff of her breath blew her bangs from her eyes. "Besides, I'm not pissed off. I'm frustrated."

"I didn't necessarily mean sex when I said young and able. Could just be having fun: hanging out, dancing, listening to music, going on trips. I dunno, whatever it is one wanted to do really. I'm simply saying that you seem to be taking things far too seriously. That's all."

Adrian flexed somewhat playfully, "Wizened up? Of course I have. I've been trying to hold my tongue and not piss you off any more than necessary. And sure, you haven't noticed. I remember your hawk eye comment." There was a greater lightness about Adrian than there had been the day previous, though it was probably more to do with a greater fear of Anna and a powerful reaction against her extreme unhappiness that brought it about, rather than Adrian simply liking her more.

"And what exactly are you frustrated about? Surely nothing to do with little old me!"

She snorted. "No. Never you." She jumped a bit when she felt some moisture hit her. At first, she assumed the human had spit at her. But that didn't make sense. A rumble above followed by a clap of lightening warned her of the downpour, that began instantly.

Chapter End Notes:

Next chapter on Sunday!

Preview:

She rubbed at her eyes and grumbled. "It's too early, still. There's another hour or two until I have to get up." She yawned and laid back down in her bedroll. This time, instead of putting Adrian by her stomach, she gently held him to the top of her chest.

As she laid back down, Adrian realized she hadn't yet let go of him. "Hey! I'm not your teddy be-" his complaint was cut short as he was pressed into her.