- Text Size +

Emily’s eyes never leave my smaller ones as she watches me from inside my exterior, in the process of downing an entire Oreo cookie, my stomach welcoming the soft chocolaty goodness like a drug. Andrew Jr. sits a little stiffly (even for a robot) at a wooden table across from the kitchen, Emily opposite him. I’ve kept the eye functions down, so that the giantess of a girl can see my lovely face as I eat. It’s unnerving, really, to watch from the windows of what could potentially be a skyscraper high building as a giant human sips at a glass of water and studies me curiously.

 

As I swallow a huge bite of crumbly biscuit, her thin, dry lips crack into a half smile. She’s stopped crying now; probably relieved to have proof of my existence after the mess I got myself into the previous night. And as jittery as I am with her knowing about my secrets, I almost feel the same sense of relief.

 

It’s a weird feeling, for someone like me. Not once has anyone stopped to accept my story, and let’s just say I’ve got together with heaps of willing people. I don’t blame them in the slightest for being frightened, but really… it all comes down to the reality of my situation. Why are people so frightened of a four inch tall guy living in a robot? If common sense was actually put into play, then I’d probably be dead by now. Someone would have thought it’d be funny to capture and enslave someone so small. I mean, I’ve come across hundreds of stories involving beautiful girlfriends eating tiny guys like me. It’s a relief in itself that reality is different from the fantasy world those… stories come from.

 

I guess Emily’s just… different. I almost feel like she was meant to know about me all along. Coming from a girl I only met yesterday that statement’s weird, but hey, it’s about time I opened up about myself.

 

And now she knows pretty much everything.

 

Everything about Nazarees, about the curse, about my stature…

 

About me.

 

There’s no going back now. Not after revealing myself this morning. And for once in my life, it’s okay. It’s okay that she knows.

 

I’m not afraid of her.

 

I, Andrew Lawson am not afraid of a girl capable of squeezing, enslaving, eating, trapping, hurting, torturing, squishing and potentially killing me if she desired.

 

Okay… maybe I’m a tad wary.

 

“You were hungry last night, weren’t you?” Emily says softly, breaking me from my trance. I set my half eaten Oreo beside me from inside the control room of my exterior and brush the crumbs off my lap.

 

“I was, actually.” I answer with a smile, not bothering to project my voice through the mouth of Andrew Jr. Judging by her reactions, Emily can hear me just fine without the help of a microphone. Not many people have that skill these days, hearing my small voice. “Thanks for the cookie, by the way.” I continue, rising from my seat and resting my elbow against one of Andrew Jr.’s glass, eye shaped windows to see Emily’s gigantic face better.

 

Emily smiles a little, meeting my eyes with her larger ones. “It’s okay. It’s not like I’ll be stomaching them, anyways.” She takes another sip of water and breaks the stare.

 

Pity washes over me and I sigh. “Well, if it helps, I don’t eat much, either.” I say, knowing full well that compared to a human sized meal, my servings are pretty dismal.

 

“You’re the tiny guy, though.” Emily lets out a sigh. “It’s different.”

 

I shrug lightly, wiping a thin layer of dust from the oval shaped window with my elbow. “I spose it is.”

 

We’re silent for a few minutes, as Emily finishes her water. I nibble on an Oreo crumb, my hunger fading away. I haven’t had an Oreo in… God, it’s been a while.

 

Finally, I break the awkwardness and clear my throat. “Hey, it’s the weekend, isn’t it?”

 

Emily gives one solemn nod.

 

“Saturday or Sunday?” I’m a real shocker with dates.

 

“Saturday.” She says.

 

“That’s great, then!” I grin widely from the control room, stepping back from the window and seating myself down before the dashboard of Andrew Jr. In an instant, I’ve readjusted the eyes so that they don’t reveal what’s behind the hollow glass ovals. I can see outside at Emily’s slightly bewildered face just fine, but to her, my eyes have now returned to their usual honey colour. Slipping my hands into the two gloves I use to control the robot’s cognitive abilities, my exterior stands up and pushes the chair back in place at the table. Andrew Jr. smiles, showing his perfect… and fake teeth. “Wanna go for a walk around town? I don’t know about you, but I’m up for some outdoors.” I ask through his giant mouth.

 

Emily looks up at his standing figure wearily. “But you won’t be outdoors, if you’re in that robot.” She says.

 

“Well, yeah, but that doesn’t mean I don’t get to enjoy myself a little.”

 

“But it won’t be the same.”

 

I sigh from inside the cockpit of my exterior. “It’s never the same, Emily. But it’s still something, right?”

 

“If that’s how you see it…” She says, a little unsure. “You don’t have to stay in that robot, you know… you could… come with me.”

 

“What, in your pocket?” I roll Andrew Jr.’s eyes mockingly. “I prefer to ride in style.”

 

“You could sit on my shoulder…?” Emily suggests, her expression almost pleading. Geeze… she really does have a thing for yellow eyed tiny folk. And hey, as strange as that sounds, I’m not complaining. Most people prefer it when I keep my exterior on. It’s a fact.  

 

Not wanting to burst her bubble of hope completely, I decide on a bit of a compromise. “Why don’t I sit on your shoulder later, okay?” I say evenly. “I appreciate the offer, but really, I’ll enjoy the walk just the same while I’m in here.”

 

Emily’s smile fades slightly. “Oh… okay then… if it’s what you want.”

 

“Trust me.” I assure her. “It’d be easier if I just took the robot with me. What if someone saw it in the room, decapitated? They’d think I was dead!”

 

A blush creeps its way to Emily’s sallow cheeks. “Yeah, that would seem a little creepy.”

 

“It is. It’s happened before… more than once.”

 

We’re silent for a good minute, and then I hear Emily sigh under her breath. “I can’t really go, anyways.” She says, sounding disappointed. “I’m not supposed to exercise until noon.”

 

I frown, transferring the expression to the face of my exterior. Andrew Jr. purses his lips. “Why’s that?” He asks.

 

Emily’s blush returns. “It’s part of my hospital discharge notice. I need to properly digest the feeds from last night before I have a chance to burn it all off.”

 

I smile sadly. “Ahh… well, I spose that makes sense.” Andrew Jr. shuffles on his converse clad feet. “I guess I’ll just go for a quick walk alone then…”

 

“Yeah.” Emily says in a soft voice. “See you later, then.”

 

“Hey.” Andrew Jr. smiles gently, touching Emily’s bony shoulder. Her body freezes up almost instantly at his robotic touch. Pretending not to notice, I continue to speak. “Why don’t I bring you something from town?” I suggest. “What do you like?”

 

I watch Emily’s huge round eyes, framed by their chunky framed glasses. Her thin lips curve into a small smile. “You’d do that for me, Andrew?” She asks, sounding sheepish.

 

Andrew Jr. gives her shoulder a light squeeze. “Sure I would.” He returns the smile.

 

I sigh deeply from my cold metal controller’s seat, running my hand along the sleek silver surface.  

 

You deserve it, Emily. I think to myself.

 

You didn’t scream.