- Text Size +

Chapter 3 – Treading Carefully


Gwendoline stepped into the giants house, her eyes widened in awe as she took in the new surroundings. The room smelled heavily of earth with the overlying smoke of a log fire which burned in a huge stone fireplace set into one wall. The stone wall extended down the length of the house and formed the stove wall in the kitchen where a huge range oven protruded from the stones, fronted by a 6ft wide heavy iron door. Her eyes continued to scan around the room taking in the big square dining table with crude looking heavy chairs and quickly she realised she barely stood half as tall as one of the table legs.

Her wonder was cut short as Catalina swept past her and further into the house, the hem of the giantess' dress brushed closely over the top of Gwendoline's head with a rush of air and the heavy thud of footsteps shook the wooden floor beneath her feet almost toppling her to the ground. The princess instinctively ducked down a little as she flinched from the unexpected close encounter with the huge woman. The force of the Giantess simply moving past her was enough to push some of her bright curls across her face and she became flustered at the woman's apparent carelessness when moving around her. Brushing her hair back into place with her hands she scowled up at Catalina but there was no way she could see her, so with an irritated huff Gwendoline brushed her dress back into place and took a deep breath.

"First of all I would like some wine, it was a long ride to find your cabin." Gwendoline spoke loudly to get Catalina's attention.

The giantess turned to look down at the Princess, folding her hands politely in front of her lap and giving a slightly amused smile.

"I'm afraid we have no wine, Princess, I can only off you water or perhaps I could squeeze some fruit for you?" Catalina offered.

Gwendoline cringed and looked a little disgusted at the offer but eventually she conceded to simply having water. Catalina gave a small nod and turned to fetch the drink. Almost at the same time there was a heavy thud on the door behind Gwendoline, and it gave a loud creak on its massive iron hinges as it swung towards the small girl, blowing a rush of air towards her and pushing her backwards a few steps. The air blew dust and debris across her whole body as she screwed her eyes shut tight to avoid getting anything in them and pulled her hands up to guard her face, feeling grit and dirt spraying her exposed arms. The small girl was almost completely disorientated in the chaos as Catalina's voice rang out from behind her and she felt a heavy set of boots hit the floor in front of her once more shaking the ground.

"Bram, be careful of our little guest, she is down there somewhere." The giantess motioned towards the floor in front of the door, indicating where Bram should check to avoid stepping on something.

Hearing his wife call out Bram looked down as he stepped into his cabin to check the floor. Below him stood a girl who came barely half way up his shin, furiously patting down her little blue dress as small puffs of dust erupted from wherever she slapped at the ruffles of fabric. The Giant stood for a moment as his eyes scanned the tiny figure below, a thought of recognition passed through his mind but he wasn't sure until the little girl looked up towards him, an all-too-familiar scowl present on her otherwise pretty face. Instantly Bram's entire body tensed up, his face a mask of confusion and anger as he turned back to his wife his eyes demanding answers to the questions he didn't dare ask in front of the Princess.

Before the silence could hang too heavily between the three Eric stepped into the house, holding onto one of his father's legs as he peered curiously around Bram to see what the problem was. His eyes met with the little princess who now stood staring back at him, his appearance having caught her attention. Bram felt Eric grip his leg harder, obviously unsettled by the presence of the girl who had shouted at him in the village. Before the princess could say anything the giant took the boy's hand in his and led him past her and further into the house, the deep rumble of his heavy footsteps resonating through the floorboards once again threatening to shake Gwendoline right off of her feet as he passed.

"Eric can play in his room, I am sure the Princess does not need a child making noise around her while she visits." Bram said coldly, escorting the boy into a room at the back of the house that Gwendoline couldn't see past the huge dining table and chairs.

"Well," Catalina began catching Gwendoline's attention once more as she moved across the cabin holding what looked like a large child's wooden cup in her hand. "Why don't we talk about what has brought you out so far from home, Princess?" She said taking a seat in what looked to be the only part of the cabin designed for comfort, then setting the cup down on a coffee table slightly taller than Gwendoline.

Gwendoline moved towards what was evidently the living room where the only real things that passed for 'luxury' items were sat clustered around the large stone fireplace. Catalina had chosen to sit in a slim chair that next to her looked almost elegantly slender, which left a large, deep red leather chair with a high back and heavy bronze studs pinning the leather to the frame in a criss-cross pattern. The Princess approached the coffee table and took a moment to reach up and take the cup from its surface. It had no handles and with its size she had to hold the mug with both hands making her feel somewhat childish and undignified, as she raised it to her lips and took a careful mouthful.

Catalina couldn't help but give a small smirk as she watched the petulant girl take her drink like a child and subsequently drink from a child's cup, the whole thing was something of a cruel joke on her part. Gwendoline however noticed the look she was getting from the giantess and stood stiffly upright, replacing the cup back to its place on the table and moving towards the large leather chair to take a seat instead, ready to speak her mind to the insolent Giantess who still sat half smiling at her. She came to the front of the seat, the solid frame arching only a little way above her head but the top of the seat was almost twice her height.

Gwendoline could almost feel Catalina's eyes boring into her, she contemplated various ways of getting into the chair unaided and without making a fool of herself but she simply wasn't big enough. The princess turned to Catalina and stood waiting politely before gesturing to the chair.

"I hope you don't expect me to climb into this seat... I require assistance." Gwendoline said

"My apologies Princess, I wasn't sure what the correct mannerisms were when dealing with a princess in my home." replied Catalina before rising from her seat.

Within just a few quick steps she had crossed the distance between the two women and bent down, slipping her hands beneath Gwendoline's arms and lifting her to the seat like a baby, turning her and planting her down in a seated position on the chair. The little princess was furious. She jumped immediately to her feet and with a stomp of her foot and a raised finger she yelled up at the giantess who still stood slightly bent over her.

"How dare you man-handle me in such a way!! I am a princess! You will NOT lay your giant paws on my person again, you hear me?" The princess yelled up at Catalina, who simply stood to her full height watching down with cold calculating eyes at the childish girl below her waving her finger like an angry mother.

"Of course your.. highness." Catalina responded, giving a small bow and putting a slightly strained inflection on the word 'highness'.

Just as Gwendoline took a breath to respond to the thinly veiled joke Bram returned to the room and moved to join the two ladies in the living area. His huge form lumbered through the kitchen and across to the fireplace before he paused, inspecting the scene between the two ladies. Catalina had a look of mischief and contempt on her face where-as the little Princess was clearly flustered, her cheeks pink with anger and her body tense. Bram amused himself for a moment as he surveyed the scene with the thought that it looked as though Catalina were arguing with a child's toy. Some silly looking fluffed up doll he would have bought had he had a daughter before the days of the Fall.

Taking a breath Bram's huge voice rumbled from his chest as he tried to break the tension

"Is there something wrong? I thought I heard raised voices?"

Catalina stood straight and once more crossed her hands over her lap in a lady-like manner before smiling awkwardly and dipping her head in a small submissive bow to Bram, she knew that he would disapprove of any conflict Catalina ignited between their family and the royals. She moved back to her seat before gesturing back to the Princess with a sweeping movement of her hand.

"The Princess was just about to explain to us what we can do to repay her for the necklace broken in the village." Said Catalina with a forced smile.

Bram simply gave a grunt in acknowledgement and pursed his mouth, clearly thinking to himself as he rubbed his wide stubbly jaw with a his hand. He walked back to the kitchen table and picked up one of the chairs with a single large leathery hand, lifting the 15ft tall heavy timber framework as though it were made of twigs and carrying it without an ounce of strain before setting it on the other side of the coffee table to the two women. As he moved around the chair he noticed Gwendoline staring at him with her little mouth hung slightly open, a mix of awe and fear faintly evident on her face as she watched him simply moving the furniture about.

"What happened at the village was simply an accident." Bram began "Eric is still a child, despite his size, he wouldn't have know he was doing anything wrong." he stated in an even tone.

Gwendoline snapped out of her awestruck gaze the moment Bram's huge voice echoed through the air. She had to admit the giant terrified her, but she knew that despite everything the giants had physically over her, she had influence and power over them, and that thought excited her. It was a thrill knowing that they had to obey, had to submit to her commands or be thrown off of her father's lands forever.

"Accident or not, damage was done to Royal property, and it must be compensated for!" The princess said as she stood at the edge of the large leather chair then sat herself down hanging her legs over the front of the seat unwittingly making herself look all the more like a child's doll.

Catalina leaned forwards in her seat slightly, her interest peeked by something.

"So your fath-..." Catalina began before correcting herself "I'm sorry, the King, sent you to make reparations?" she asked calmly.

Bram gave her a curious glance, not quite seeing where his wife was going with her line of questioning but decided not to intervene just yet. The Princess also seemed to be examining the question for any hidden traps but couldn't see anything she couldn't simply side-step with a few well placed threats, so she decided to just be honest.

"I took the decision to come here myself actually, I see no point in troubling the King with this unless it becomes absolutely necessary." Gwendoline replied folding her arms proudly across her chest as though showing off her self-imposed responsibility.

Catalina raised her eyebrows and gave a small smile as she sat back in her chair, Bram could see her plotting but couldn't work out what she was working towards just yet so he decided to leave her to it for now and instead cleared his throat with a gruff cough and turned back to the little Princess.

"The fact remains Princess that we have very little of value to you, none of our possessions are of a size suitable for your person and we live largely off of the land." Bram said trying to keep his voice reasonable.

Gwendoline looked disappointed for a second, her mouth pursing in a disapproving scowl before her eyes began to search her surroundings, looking for something that might prove the Giant wrong. She quickly came to the same conclusion however, seeing what Bram meant by them not owning anything that would be suitable for her size. After-all she would have to get it back home herself or risk having to explain the need to commandeer a cart and guards from the castle. Then a question came to mind, along with a plan half forming in her thoughts.

"So if you work for my Father, how are you paid? You must have gold..." She asked slyly, feeling as though she may have finally tricked the Giants, but Bram was quick with his answer.

"The King pays us in game allowance, we are allowed to take deer and other wild animals from his land to feed our family and we use the pelts as items around the home, clothes, bedding and other items." he said as he gestured to various items made of roughly tailored hides and pelts.

"You take my Father's deer?" Gwendoline asked suddenly?

"Only as many as we are allowed." Bram replied cautiously.

"Well then! That settles it!" Gwendoline replied cheerfully "You hunt my Father's deer, so you can serve me my Father's deer! You will provide me with hospitality whenever I am here, and I expect you to do everything in your power to make me comfortable in your...uh, home.." The little Princess once again folded her arms across her chest triumphantly and waited for the Giants response.

Bram and Catalina shared a dangerous look between each other, the Giantess knew when Bram was close to erupting with anger and right now he was all but shaking trying to contain his outrage. Catalina took the lead on the conversation now, giving her husband time to cool down.

"Princess, we do not have much, we are only allowed to take enough from the forest to give us a couple of days of meagre meat portions per week." She said.

Gwendoline felt victorious, she had found the perfect way of making these creatures serve her and hurt them at the same time. She was truly superior to them in her own mind and she was loving being able to show it. She would prove her dreams wrong, the giants were not going to walk all over her..

"I have made up my mind, either you serve me whenever I am here, or I tell my father of the attack in the village, besides, its not like you are feeding an army!" Gwendoline said allowing herself a small laugh at her joke "Its just one more person you need to accommodate." she finished, but it was enough to finally push Bram into reacting.

"NOW WAIT A MINUTE!" He roared angrily sitting up straight in his chair, his barrel chest heaving as his eyes almost seemed to blaze like cold, blue fire.

Gwendoline gave a hard flinch, raising her arm to protect herself. Although she spoke brave words she was still terrified of the Giant's anger, raising her arm up as if to ward him off as she turned her head to hide from his outburst, expecting to be snatched up any second. But to her surprise it was Catalina she heard from first. The giantess rose quickly to her feet and took a step forwards, raising a hand towards Bram to calm him and speaking in an even tone.

"Now Bram! Stay calm. The Princess has a point... She is alone." Catalina said, emphasising the word 'alone' with a stern look "There will only be one more mouth to feed, I'm sure we can accommodate her wishes.

Bram breathed heavily and allowed himself to settle back in his chair, his face still fixed with a stern frown but at last he felt he could see where his wife was going with her plan, though he could hardly believe she might try it. Gwendoline lowered her arm and took a moment to let her heart beat return to normal, certain her face must have been flushed completely red. She stood, her legs a little shaky on the soft chair.

"I... I am ready to go now." The princess said uneasily as she struggled with her footing and her fear "You, help me down from here, in a more dignified manner this time!" she said waving Catalina forwards and pointing to the floor beneath her.

Catalina simply bit her tongue and leaned forwards, offering the palm of her hand like a stepping stone for the princes to step down onto with one foot then down onto the floor. The small girl straightened out her skirts again and brushed her bushy bright golden curls back over her shoulder away from her face then looked up to the giantess and gave a small nod. Catalina escorted Gwendoline to the front door, opening it wide for her and giving a polite curtsy as the Princess passed by her and headed off outside to recover her horse. The giantess closed the door once she had seen the girl ride off into the woods and gave a long controlled sigh but the peace didn't last long.

"Would you care to explain to me just what exactly you have in mind agreeing to serve that royal pain in the ar... that royal brat?" Bram growled angrily as he held back from swearing in case Eric was listening.

He stood up and used his hand to brush down his chair seat as though having Gwendoline use it had dirtied it in some way, like a pet might leave hairs on your favourite chair. Catalina simply smiled, evidently pleased at being asked to explain her plan because it was something she was going to enjoy carrying out. She swept elegantly over to her husband, almost dancing her light, excited steps before taking his hands in hers and smiling, looking deep into his ice-blue eyes.

"Bram sweetheart, trust me, this will be best for everybody, not just us." She said in a smooth voice, but Bram still didn't look entirely convinced. "She believes we are beasts, so we shall be beasts, its just this once my dear, then we can continue to live our quiet... peaceful... lives." She finished as she slid closer to Bram, wrapping her arms around his waist and pushing her hips against his.

"Gods be damned" thought Bram as he rolled his eyes to the roof rafters "I wonder who is really in charge of this household..." then, with a sigh he looked into his wife's mischievous emerald eyes "Fine. But only this once." he said trying to remain stern.

Catalina simply bit her lip playfully and smiled.

 

 

End of Chapter 3