- Text Size +

 

I held up my finger over my mouth, signaling for him to be quiet. Thankfully, to my relief, Jesse stayed silent. His eyes were wide with confusion, however piqued with curiosity.

“Go to bed now, Sam,” he urged his sister. She reluctantly nodded and ran upstairs, shaking my balance completely. I dropped to the surface of the counter, quietly grateful for my disappearance from Jesse’s sight. Without thinking, I raced as fast as I could on all fours to my zipline.

I buckled myself onto the wire in an instant and proceeded to let gravity pull me to safety. I could feel the giant’s movement closer to the frame, but knew I could get away. I reached the basement almost as quickly as I fell. Returning as fast as possible to my fort, I hurried with quickening haste. As soon as I made my way to the soft fabricated bed, I lay in it under my blankets hiding from the world. I heard thumps coming from the basement stairs.

The boy’s voice boomed overhead, and I could tell he was close. “Come out, please. I’m not... I’m not a monster.”

I lay as still as possible. When it was silent, I decided it was safe to peak. I pushed the blanket down past my eye and caught the glimpse of an enormous worried face. He was right over me. I thought about all of the things that would happen if he saw me as I stared at his plush, gleaming and wet pink, soft lips parted in interest.

I could picture myself sliding into his warm mouth, gently resting on his lush tongue. I could feel the hot saliva lubricate my small body, shaking with fear, closed between his lips. I heard the rumbling of his stomach… digesting.

Or I could see him strangling me on accident even, gripping me beyond my limit. Possibly using me as his sex toy, rubbing me against his-

“I won’t hurt you.” His voice was even closer. “Please, I know you’re there.”

After about five minutes or so, the boy ascended the steps and left the room. I sighed in relief, only terrified for what could happen tomorrow.

 

After I’d awakened and eaten my cookie crumble breakfast, I decided to stock up for my next meal before they wiped the counters clean.

I shook with fear at the thought of last night but regardless, I needed something to eat. Deciding to leave early, I propped myself onto the wire ascending to the kitchen. I was able to crawl across using the line.

As I climbed, I ignored the long drop to the floor. If I was going to get across, I reminded myself, then I’d need to focus on my climbing. When I got to the top, the counter was easy to climb onto. I wedged myself onto the surface. Peeking out from behind the toaster, my vision was distorted by an enormous dark brown eye.

I saw the pupil dilate when it scanned me. With a forceful gush of wind, the giant boy backed away, preparing to make his move.

He began to move his colossal hand towards me. I screamed instinctively and darted the opposite direction. I was racing so fast to the wire so I could quickly zipline back. Instead, however, as I was running, I noticed a hollow indentation in the wood from weathering. I slid into the indent without hesitation and gasped as I felt the vibration of his voice.

“What are you?” he asked with wonder. His voice was teasing but curious. I couldn’t reply, too distraught with fear. He repeated the question, then added, “I have no intention to harm you.”

Still frozen, I listened to the godly voice. Maybe he could help me out with getting food. Maybe he could clear the rodents. Maybe he could get me a place of safety. Maybe he wouldn’t hurt me.

“I want to help you.” His voice was soft and tender, almost innocent. My first thought was to trust him, however, I immediately ruled against it. There was not any way that it was a good idea.

But the lonely part of me spoke. “I can’t believe that…”

I could practically hear him bolt upright with surprise. “So you’ll talk to me?”I didn’t respond, dumbfounded. If all he wanted to do was talk, then I could be on my way…

“I have no desire to hurt you. Please, I’ll stand back.” After the earthquake of him moving settled, I peeked out to see the massive individual on the opposite side of the room. Jesse was standing at 6’’5’. His impressive height intimidated me, however, I slowly crawled out. He put his hands up in peace and slowly neared. He was a good few feet away from me.

“Who are you?” he whispered considerately. My gaze was locked on him - all I could do was watch my death get closer, and suddenly, I’d realized how terrified I was.

Jesse paused, his hands still raised. I suddenly wondered what part of me longed for a friendship. I never seemed to care for one before. Then again, I never had the chance. Until now.

Pressing my body again the wooden curve of the wall, I ignored his question. “My family will be here soon, you should hide.” Why did he want me to hide? Why was I his secret?

I deemed it to be for my safety and obeyed, revealing my entire body; to get to the zip line, it was necessary. He only stared with interest and his eyes never once left me.

 

I could still feel the giant boy watching me as I hooked myself onto my zipline. I descended quickly, out of sight and back into my home. In the very bottom of the basement was a shelf of paintbrushes that I’d began sleeping on. I jumped down into the neat bucket of brushes and fell on soft fur. Adjusting my position, I lay backwards, completely forgetting that I’d went for breakfast but brought nothing back.

When I woke up, it was to the thundering footsteps of a titan.

“Are you in this room? Please come out,” he urged, walking past me. All I could see of him were his massive legs, his feet close to my shoulder. I decided that it was not worth what I had hoped for.There just was too much to risk.

However, I didn’t have a chance when he glanced to the floor and spotted me on in the bucket.

The columns of fingers came towards me and I instinctively screamed, to which the human shrieked and stopped his maneuver.

“I’m so sorry! That was foolish,” he mumbled. Jesse retracted and knelt down. Without my permission, he put the bucket on the ground and off the shelf. I looked up only to see his towering thighs.

He began staring. Most likely, he was trying to fathom the idea of a human only a few inches tall.

I sat up, my back resting against the edge of the bucket.

“Can I ask…” he began. I raised an eyebrow, forcing myself to maintain a sense of civilization. “Are you a human?” I could see the blush forming on his cheeks.

“Of course I am, you brain surgeon,” I joked, applauding my bravery to speak. He let out a soft laugh and smiled eagerly.

“Can I show you around the house?”

I acknowledged the fact that Jesse had good intentions, however, it was clear he was impulsive. “That’s, uh, probably a bad idea,” I mumbled.

“Come again?”

“Thank you, but I’m not sure it’s a good idea,” I repeated.

“Why not? Nobody will be home for another hour or two.” School. He already went! How long was I asleep?!

“I slept that entire time?” I wondered aloud. A smile crept onto his face.

“So?” I wasn’t comfortable with it. I thought I said no, but with Jesse’s persistence, I sighed.

“Okay…” I whispered. His enormous eyes lit up.

“Do you mind if I...hold you?” he asked nervously.

Yes. “No.” Jesse smiled reassuringly and brought down his colossal hand, his skyscraping fingers lying inches away from me. I glanced at his worried face and smiled back, “Don’t worry,” I ironically breathed.

I gently placed my socked foot over the tip of his index finger. As I climbed on and scooted my way towards the center of his hand, I could feel myself shaking.

“Hey, listen… I know you’re scared, but please, trust me,” Jesse announced, reading my mind. When I sat comfortably on his palm, he gently rose. I gasped as I was lifted hundreds of feet into the air. Don’t look down.

I closed my eyes as thunderous stomps reigned down below. I could feel us ascending, mostly likely maneuvering up the steps. I peeked open my right eye and caught sight of Jesse opening a wooden door. Inside, I could see an unmade bed, clothes scattered around the floor, but yet a sense of neatness still present.

“I would have tidied up had I known there would be visitors.”

“Visitors,” I mumbled, out of earshot.

He stepped into the bright room, walls painted green. He walked over to his bed and gingerly sat down, holding me up to his chest.

“What’s your name? I’m Jesse.”

“Dakota…” I said, staring at his massive figure.

“Well, Dakota,” he began, lowering his hand onto the bed for me to climb off (which I

immediately did), “I’m going to leave the option up to you. Would you like to meet my parents?”

“Why not Sam?” I questioned, curious.

“Dakota...she will kill you.” He stated blatantly. A pang of fear slammed my gut. Nervously, I stared down at my feet and stayed quiet. Jesse, realizing what he’d

said, bolted upright, jerking me to my side.

“No, no...I mean, it’s dangerous! Dakota, listen… I’m worried. I don’t want you getting hurt.”

“Can I ask you something?” I mumbled, not meeting his eyes.

“Of course.”

“Why do you care?” I spoke in monotone. Jesse, surprised, knelt down. He carefully took his index finger and lifted my face to meet his eyes.

“You’re a young girl who has been only doing what she can to survive through this unfair world. You’re faced with challenges such as giants, yet you move through it. And I think it’s about time someone helps you,” he admitted sincerely.

I couldn’t hold back my smile. Jesse and I, locked eyes, acknowledged one another as friends for the first time. He was the first friend I had ever had.

“If I could hug you right now, I would,” I blushed. Jesse blushed too, and chuckled. He scooped me in both of his hands and held me tightly to his chest. I breathed in the warm, woodsy scent of him in bliss.

“Thank you, Jesse.” My eyes watered as I appreciated his body so close. When he pulled away after a minute, I looked him in the eye when I asked, “Can I stay with you?”

Shocked, he grinned, “Of course you can,” he winked.