- Text Size +

Talking terms of service is just rhetoric. It is basically myself confirming that I know my place within the household, that is to say, not much higher than the service staff that works for housing more than wage,  and Nolan confirming that he is paying me what he had agreed upon with the guildmaster. It was the constricting leash around my throat, pulled taut and leaving no room to wriggle free or do anything on my own terms.

The first day was peaceful, as I got acquainted with the manor and its staff. Autumn had been content and thus not combative. I had been given the run-down of Autumn’s general schedule, which consisted of private tutoring and more private tutoring. It was agonizing to witness, as I both pitied her existence and was bored out of my mind. When I talked to Nolan that night, he did not seem keen on letting me do other things in the meantime, while Autumn did her studying. He insisted that she would need watching – although I got the feeling that I was his insurance that she would not run away. I would have been inclined to let her, if she tried, but I know that a bad review on my first solo job, even a babysitting job, would not bode well for my career.

The next day, I caught Autumn stealing glances at me while I sat by the door of the study. I wrote off the first few as being unused to the additional presence while she was being tutored, but as the day went on, I realized her eyes were expectant and increasingly dejected. It struck me that she was expecting me to use my gift to grow, as if I did it regularly, without cause.

I could not understand why she would want to see it – it would make her insignificant within my presence, physically speaking. I spent much of her lesson turning my thoughts over in my head trying to determine her motivation. I was so engrossed that I had not noticed the lesson had ended until Autumn and her tutor rose from the table.

The next days followed a similar pattern, with Autumn’s mood steadily souring, until she had regained the opinion that she did not want me around. That night, at dinner, she fought with her father again, making it clear that she did not welcome my presence, despite me being there in witness. I continued to implement a stoic approach to her, never speaking unless spoken to, not wanting to provoke anger.

“Why do I need protecting? It is not like I ever leave the manor – you do not allow it!”

“You are a young woman and need protecting.” I found her father’s argument to be baseless, but was not about to draw attention towards myself.

“That is asinine and without support. You do not know that I cannot take care of myself because you have not let me prove myself to you!”

Autumn’s mother, the ever present but rarely vocal woman who sat unflustered eating her dinner, cleared her throat. “Darling, why not let me talk to Autumn?”

I was intrigued and Nolan nodded. Autumn did not protest, perhaps thinking she had better chances of swaying the woman. Nolan took his plate and left.

“Seth, would you mind giving us the room?” I knew Nolan would not agree with me leaving, but there was something in the way that Marion LeBlanc spoke, when she did speak, that made you oblige.

“I will be in the hall,” I announced, bowing my head in deference to Marion.

From the hall, I could still hear them and wondered if I should move farther away, but something in the way Marion had watched me leave told me she wanted me to listen. “Mother, why is this all forced upon me?”

“Sweetie, there are things about life we cannot control. One of these things is the common view of woman and the roles they fit. I have always known your father’s devotion to such ideas and it is not something I can change. He is a stubborn man.”

“What should I do?” Autumn was a lot calmer in conversation with her mother.

“Well, perhaps you should start by considering the opportunities you might have with a bodyguard.” I heard Autumn make a sound that was akin to a strangled snort. “And,” Marion pressed, “think about the image it presents. You look so much more important with a bodyguard.”

Autumn groaned in exasperation. “Beyond being a constant reminder that Father does not trust me, he is so bland. He never talks!” My jaw clenched as I heard that.

“Would you talk to yourself?” There was a long pause. “Honey, think about the way you treat him. Do you not treat him as if you expect him to be just like your father?”

“Are you suggesting he is not?” I almost laughed.

“I think you should give him a chance to prove otherwise.”

Another long pause followed, before Autumn groaned again. “Fine.”

I heard their chairs slide back and then I was summoned back into the room. They were approaching, so I remained by the door. “Mother, I am going to retire for the night.”

They bid each other good sleep and then Autumn left. I made a move to follow, but Marion’s hand on my arm made me stop. She looked me in the eye and said, “if you two work together, this arrangement could be a lot better for both of you. Think on it.” She let me go and I caught up to Autumn, Marion’s words playing in my head.

I felt for Autumn – I knew what she was going through, to some extent. It had been dictated that she would be raised for one purpose – marriage. From the staff in the kitchen, where most of the gossip happened, I found out that she had caught the eye of Roland Denrus III, the heir to the throne of Jemra. It was something Nolan could not pass up on, but that gave no consideration to the fact that Autumn just wished to attend a college in the nation of Sumre, where gender dictated nothing in someone’s life.

I could see why Roland would be attracted to Autumn. She had silky platinum blonde hair, fierce blue eyes, and a pallor that verged on flawlessness. These were highly sought characteristics in women. I found myself very physically attracted to her. If it were not for the fact that she treated me like the enemy, I might have been even more attracted to her.

I have known for many years that I am more attracted, sexually and romantically, to women, but with the way I had altered my body, I saw no future for myself that included a romantic and/or sexual partner. It was something I willingly gave up for the sake of pursuing a life as a mercenary.

~*~

The next morning found me too early. I had not slept well, kept up by my thoughts and Marion’s words. I went in search of Nolan, finding him in his study. “Sir,” I said to announce my presence.

“It is Lord,” Nolan replied, not having looked up from his work.

“Lord LeBlanc,” I amended.

He looked up, after another moment. “Oh, Seth, come in.” I do not think he had realized it had been me when I had first spoken. “What can I do for you?”

“I was told that the Lady’s tutor is given today off and I wondered if I might suggest an activity for Autumn.”

Nolan looked wary. “You may make a suggestion.”

“I think a ride might do her good.”

Nolan’s eyes darkened. “Did she put you up to this?”

“No, Lord, she refuses to talk to me,” I assured him. Nolan did not look convinced. “She would be perfectly safe. Open space is perfect for me using my magic.” He looked thoughtful. “I will guard her with my life and she will have less reason to hound you about keeping her locked up.”

“Alright, you have convinced me. Tell the stable hand to prepare your horses.”

I bowed, knowing that I was dismissed. The stable boy was utterly confused when I told him Autumn was going out for a ride. It had never before occurred without Nolan or a large party present. I left him to do his job and likely spread gossip about how the unthinkable was happening.

I went in search of Autumn. A helpful maid pointed me towards Autumn’s rooms. I rapped my knuckle against the wood. “Enter,” she called. I strode through the door and was accosted by the view of Autumn half naked, in the process of dressing. I was already turning away when she realized who I was, apparently having expected someone else. “Why are you here?!” I heard the frantic movement of fabric.

“I-“ I lost my voice in my throat. I could feel the blood suffusing my cheeks.

“Get out!” I was obeying before she even finished speaking.

Moments later she emerged from her room. I could not look her in the eye, the fire in my ears making it hard to concentrate. “My Lady, I did not mean to intrude,” I hastily apologized.

“What did you want?” Her voice was glacial, colder than it had been up to that point.

“I talked to your father,” I announced.

“And that merits a visit to my private chambers while I am dressing?”

I swallowed, hoping to wet my rapidly drying throat. “That was not my intention,” I insisted. As a ploy for my life, I continued, “I convinced him to allow you to go for a ride, should you want to.”

“You did?” I nodded, not daring to let my voice fail me. “This does not absolve you of your offense.” I did not respond. “Will you look at me?” Hesitantly, I obliged, finding a small amount of warmth in her eyes, unexpectedly. “Thank you.” I nodded again. “I am going to finish getting dressed. Wait here.”

When she rematerialized, she had donned a outfit better suited for riding. I could not help but think it looked good on her, but that was perhaps because she looked more comfortable than she normally did.

We ate a small meal to break our fast and I packed some of the left over bread and cheese for our day away from the manor. The ride through the city was tedious, but once we had made it outside of the walls, be broke into a canter, branching off from the main road. I freely grinned as we rode, loving the freedom the speed brought.

Eventually, we found ourselves in a vast field, stretching out towards the forest of Rigus, which acted as the border between Jemra and Sumre. It was unpopulated land, as people feared the forest.

Wanting to let the horses rest, we dismounted. There was nowhere to tie the horses, but I was not concerned that they would be able to wonder far enough to be out of view.

“Would you care for some water,” I asked Autumn, offering a water skin. She accepted.

Silence filled the air between us. Finally, I brought up the one thing I was fairly certain she might be interested in. “Have you been waiting for me to use my gift?”

I saw color in her cheeks as her gaze shifted to me. “I just expected it to be part of your everyday life,” she explained.

More than you know, I let the thought die on my tongue. “It is not useful for most of my everyday activities.”

She chuckled. “I suppose not. I am trying to imagine you standing guard while I am tutored and all I see is Helga fleeing for her life.”

“Yes, that would not be an effective way to watch over you as you are taught your lessons. There would be a constant need for new tutors and it would never end.”

The levity died as we did not know how to continue the conversation. “It does fascinate me,” Autumn admitted. “I imagine you growing so big that I fit into the palm of your hand.”

“I would never pick you up,” I assured her, hastily.

Her brows knit together. “Why?”

“It would be dangerous!”

“It could be an exercise of trust,” she suggested with a shrug.

“What need have we for such an extreme exercise?” I was beyond baffled by the way she seemed to truly be pushing for it.

She chuckled in a disbelieving way, as if my concern was beyond reason. “Am I the only one that noticed we have a strained relationship?”

“Our relationship? We are owner and owned. I would think you would not want to talk to me.”

She looked taken aback. “I do not own you.”

“Not in the literal sense, but I have to do everything you and your family want or it could end my career. That seems a lot like ownership.”

A muscle in her jaw jumped as she tensed. “You could walk away.” She did not seem certain of her own words.

“And give up my dream?” She flinched. “I know what it is like to have the world working against you.”

“Alright,” she conceded. “Then, from now on call me Autumn.”

I was taken aback. “What?”

“You heard me. Neither of us is in this situation of our own volition, so, we are equals.”

“I do not think that is how it works,” I said.

“If I do own you, then it is within my rights to relinquish my ownership.”

I was beginning to realize that she was social justice minded. “So then what?”

“As an equal, I will explain why I would like you to grow.” My brows shot up, inviting her to continue. “The idea excites me.”

“If I do it once, will that satisfy you?”

She nodded fervently. There was a light in her eyes and I could tell she had not been exaggerating when she said she was excited.

I tugged at my magic, manipulating it so that my body expanded. The world shrunk away slowly, but soon I towered high in the sky. I stopped at around thirty feet. “Can you go higher?” Autumn called up.

With a sigh, I forced my body to grow more, hearing the excited trill of Autumn below me becoming more faint. The forest that had loomed in the distance now seemed significantly closer and far less ominous. I knew even without being able to hear Autumn what she wanted next. I knelt, careful to keep my legs away from her. I flattened the back of my hand against the ground.

She hesitated only a moment and then darted forward, lifting herself up onto the flesh of my palm. She settled into a sitting position, centralizing herself. I lifted myself slowly, back into a standing position, lifting her up towards my face. “Wow!” she screamed to me. She was shifting about on my hand, looking in all of the possible directions before turning right back around to face me. “This is beyond belief!”

I smiled softly, but dared not speak, for fear of what my voice might do to her ears. “I wish I could stay up here forever!” My smiled faded and I shook my head. I lowered her back to the ground, but she refused to get off of my hand. I pulled my magic inward, beginning to dwindle. I could feel her magic resisting, urging me to stay large. I shook my head again. I slowly shrank as my control of my magic over powered hers.

When I was about twenty feet tall, her magically presence suddenly vanished and, without the resistance, I suddenly diminished beyond my natural state. By the time I realized what had happened, I had already shrunk to under a foot tall, situated below Autumn, who had shifted into a standing position.

“Seth!” she cried, looking down at me. Her voice caused me to flinch. “You can shrink too,” she gasped. 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading! As always, reviews are welcomed and rather highly encouraged!!