- Text Size +

Evangeline was in the midst of lifting Hadley back towards her shoulder when they were joined by Jazeera. Evangeline’s mother knelt and immediately introduced herself. Hadley’s parents exchanged a look of disbelief and Evangeline had to restrain a smile. Jazeera was famous and popular among the lower classes, despite her own class, and often got such reactions when she made public appearances.

“The Scotts have offered that we use their kitchen to talk,” she announced. “Would you mind joining us,” she asked, addressing Hadley’s parents. They accepted and Jazeera offered them a hand to sit on.

Evangeline halted her own hand’s progression towards her shoulder. She no longer felt that her hands would be overcrowded and reconsidered having Hadley sit on her shoulder. “Hadley,” she held the smaller girl in front of her face, “would you prefer my hand or shoulder?”

Hadley looked thoughtful, her lips pouting and brow coming together. “I suppose I would prefer your shoulder.” Evangeline nodded and her hand restarted its journey. When all passengers were comfortable, Jazeera led the way upstairs.

The apartment was spacious for an H class family of four, all gathered in the kitchen as they entered. One of the sons seemed particularly giddy and Evangeline attributed it to Jazeera’s presence once more. They made it abundantly clear that they would be in the living room, not listening in, and Evangeline found them to be almost too polite. She wondered if they were curious or afraid.

Hadley and her family were deposited on the kitchen table, sized to the H class family, so more like a child’s play table to Evangeline. She hung back, not feeling necessary for the upcoming conversation. Jazeera seemed flawless as she perched herself upon the too small chair, smiling warmly at her company.

“I would first like to congratulate you, Hadley, on the job well done, getting accepted to Livington School for Girls.” Hadley beamed, thanking her fervently. “I imagine that it took a lot of time and effort to have the grades to earn the attention of the school board, enough that they would provide a scholarship to compensate for the school’s insistence on retaining such a high tuition.” The entire family bore the weight of the tuition in their expressions. Evangeline struggled to remain looking at them, disdain for capitalist education institutions rising within her. She felt this girl and her family were far more deserving of the education than a lot of those who could actually afford it.

“I did work really hard,” Hadley admitted.

“And with that hard work, you got into a school that caters to S class students. Even if we are not in the midst of the Class Clash, attending the school is not without dangers.” Hadley looked unperturbed, but her parents were fidgety. “Among the dangers, travel to school every day will bring you into an S class district, navigation of the school itself will be perilous, and the other students are unpredictable.”

“I assume you have a suggestion for dealing with each of these,” Hadley’s father, George, said.

“I do. I have a few different options to offer.”

Hadley’s parents nodded to spur her on. “Please, tell us,” Hadley’s mother, Lillian, begged.

“The first option I propose is that you allow Hadley to move into my household.” The room became stiff as all parties other than Jazeera were surprised. Evangeline knew she should not have been. “I will explain the benefits,” Jazeera carried on, having noticed people’s reactions. “For one thing, the travel between home and school is shorter and allows a growing young woman more rest. She is the only F class student, so none of her peers live nearby, meaning her opportunities to study with her peers is greatly increased if she is living within my home.” Jazeera turned towards Evangeline, her expression pristine. “Heaven’s know, my daughter could certainly use a study partner.”

Evangeline might have protested, but Hadley giggled. “I can teach her how to take notes!”

Jazeera chuckled in return. “I have tried. It would be no easy task.” Hadley exchanged a smile with Jazeera, but then turned her eyes on Evangeline, and Evangeline found herself struggling to keep up her disdain. The girl’s smile was infectious. “In my household,” Jazeera brought them back on track, “she would have access to anything that is ours.” Evangeline’s brow came together. That was a lot to offer, especially with Evangeline’s father involved. She continued to keep silent, her own opinion being that their household would be best for Hadley, if she were to study at the school.

“What of her staying here,” Lillian inquired.

“That is the other option. If she remained here, we would send someone to escort her every morning and evening, but, as I said previously, it is a larger distance to travel, and I will not always be available to be her escort.”

George was stern. “So then, what of her safety within the school?”

Jazeera sighed. “I am trying to convince the school board to allow me to place my own workers within the school as monitors. Within the classroom, none of her peers should act up, but the halls are where my concerns lie.” George grunted understanding. “Certainly, Eva is a fantastic transporter, very gentle and aware of the need for consent.” The praise she received seemed more like a selling point, but she was aware of the warmth below the surface. All eyes were on her for a moment and she tried to smile.

“Either way, we will give you the night to think on it. I will come in the morning to escort Hadley to school and we can discuss your choice tomorrow evening.” This brought a conclusion to the discussion. Hadley and her family were returned to their home and Evangeline left with her mother.

When they were on the street, Evangeline spoke up at last. “You could have told me that we were going to offer house someone.”

“I was not aware that they had actually accepted an F class student until two days ago. I was expecting it to take the school board years to get over themselves enough to consider others.” Evangeline snorted in disgust, mainly at the school board. “Besides, you could use a friend.”

“You may be the only G class person in the world, but do not play god.”

Jazeera chuckled. “I only bring it up because I have seen you two interact. I think you will be fast friends.”

Evangeline did not respond. It had been a long time since she could call someone a friend.

~*~

Hadley had been convinced early on what her most sensible option was, but she knew she would be giving up a lot of time with her family. She was aware that it had to happen eventually, but she had been hoping to use that year to prepare. However, what Jazeera offered was beyond what she would ever feel comfortable asking for. She could not even say she knew all that was available to people of wealth.

Her parents were less convinced, but neither addressed it with her. She knew they were trying to let her make her own decisions, to not have their worry affect her decision, but it stung, knowing that leaving crushed them. She had always been so close with her parents – they were so trusting and generous, despite having little to give and little incentive to trust anyone in the world. However, with the number of times they had given their couch to someone in need, Hadley figured it was about time the world repaid them the favor.

She retired to her bedroom, where she curled up with her thoughts. She would tell her parents in the morning that she planned to accept Jazeera’s offer, but she needed them to reach that on their own. She was confident that a heated discussion between the two would benefit them both, however, she could not help feeling lonely.

A knock on her door had her abruptly sitting up. She could not imagine that her parents were finished. “Come in,” she called, swallowing down her fear of facing her parents as they all accepted that she would be leaving the house. The man who entered was not her father. “James!” she yelped, stumbling over herself as she rushed forward, throwing her arms around his shoulders.

The young man grinned, hugging her back. “I have missed you, Hadley,” he said as he pulled away, holding her at arm’s length.

“You should quit your work and come home,” she suggested, only half kidding.

“I wish I could, but it is decent money, for our class. I plan to rise.”

Hadley nodded. “So you have said since we were children.”

James’ smile was warm, but she watched it fade. “I heard you brought some Stick-up-their classes here,” he deadpanned.

Hadley’s heart dropped. She hated when discussion shifted to other classes. “Brother,” she pleaded.

“This is our home, Hadley,” he said firmly. “They are not to be trusted.”

She groaned, taking a step back from him, breaking their contact. “Even Jazeera Ford?” James’ eyes narrowed, his expression confused. “That is who I brought here.” James was stubbornly silent. “You know she is the one who you ultimately work for, the one who provides you the money that will help you rise.”

James looked at odds with himself. “I did not know that was who you brought.”

“No, instead you assumed I just made friends with anyone off the street,” Hadley snapped.

“You are going to a school of rich snots who do not care about us,” James defended.

Hadley laughed, sardonically. “I am going to school with Evangeline Ford, daughter of Jazeera, actually, and,” she jabbed her finger into her brother’s chest, “I am moving into their house, for the deration of my senior year.”

James’ face fell and Hadley almost regretted throwing it in his face. “Hadley,” he pleaded, but she turned away, not wanting to look at him. “I know you have a trusting nature,” he said, “but I fear for you.”

“You think I do not know how to take care of myself?”

He groaned. “I am saying there is nothing you or any of us can do to care for ourselves but avoid the danger. S class people are dangers.”

Hadley whirled about, her finger thrust pointedly in his face. “No, not all of them are. I am willing to give people a chance. I am not a coward.”

James’ expression twisted in pain. “No, just naïve.”

Hadley shook her head. “I would argue that you are naïve.”

They stood in silence, and Hadley wondered if he might reconsider, but she also knew her brother. They had never agreed when it came to other classes, especially S class people. They did, however, have a good sense for when to stop pushing each other’s buttons about it.

“I am only here for the night,” James finally said to break the silence. “I have to move on to a new sector tomorrow.”

Hadley nodded. “I will be moving into the Ford household tomorrow,” she informed him.

Silently, they hugged, eventually parting and James left for the couch. Hadley flopped back onto her bed. “What if you are right, James,” she asked the air above her. 

 

Chapter End Notes:

I have one more major character to introduce and then I think the main cast is complete :) We are going to start getting to the good stuff!

As always, your thoughts are most welcome!