- Text Size +

 As the ear deafening blare of her alarm became more noticeable within her dream, Evangeline slowly released herself from sleep’s hold. It was not that woke her, but instead the soft prodding against her cheek. Her eyes fluttered, her vision blurry, but her mind almost instantly recognized the bane of her sleeping self, putting a name to it – Hadley. “You awake yet?”

She groaned, rolling over in her bed, putting the other girl at her back.

“Hey,” the girl yelled, barely audible over the blaring alarm. Evangeline realized her mistake, having not turned off the alarm before rolling over. The sound kept her in the waking world. Slowly her mind was clearing and she was less tempted to fall back into the comfort of sleep.

She smiled softly at the feeling of the tiny girl climbing the covers that hung over her shoulder, but kept up the rouse of sleep. The girl was becoming increasingly brazen each morning and Evangeline was always curious about how far the girl would go. As the girl descended from her shoulder into the crux of her neck, Evangeline squeaked. The girl’s feet were bare and rather chilly. Evangeline could not control the automatic rise of her shoulder, to cover the chilled spot. It forced the girl to tumble forward, scrambling on hands and knees, coming to rest on Evangeline’s exposed cheek.

“Eva! Come on!”

Evangeline was having trouble keeping from smiling to keep up the pretense. Her hand slithered up from the warm cave created by her covers. Fingers wrapped gently around the girl’s waist, lifting and depositing her on the bed in front of her face. The first time this had happened, she had still been asleep and when she realized she had moved Hadley without the girl’s express consent, Hadley had explained that she would not climb on Evangeline if she did not expect to or want to be removed, as was Evangeline’s right. It quelled the fear that gripped Evangeline and she was becoming much more comfortable with the understanding they held.

“I know you are awake!”

Caught, one eye cracked open to peer at the girl who had stood, hands on hips, glaring at her friend. “Five more minutes?”

“No!” Hadley protested, stepping forward as Evangeline’s eye closed tight once more, a mischievous grin spreading her lips. “Don’t you dare! You have to turn off that alarm!”

Evangeline chuckled, rolling slightly, her hand deftly finding the button that turned off the alarm until the next morning. The room fell silent as Evangeline returned to her previous position, her eyes closed once more.

“Why are you not getting up?”

“I do not need to be in the shower for like ten minutes,” she explained.

“You say that every morning, yet always seem to be rushing to get all of your stuff done,” Hadley argued.

Evangeline grumbled. “Don’t you have your own stuff to do?”

“I am already ready – I have learned to get everything done before your alarm starts going off!”

Evangeline sighed. “I know.” She stretched and rose, pulling the covers away from them both. “I will talk to Dad about getting the soundproofing checked. It should block out the alarm.”

“You really are honestly better off without the alarm,” she said, shaking her head. “I can just wake you up in the morning and then we both do not have to listen to the damn thing.” The smaller girl was tugging earplugs out of her ears when Evangeline offered a hand to her.

“Do you really want to put up with me every morning?” Hadley gracefully stepped onto her hand. “It is quite the chore.”

Hadley shrugged. “I kind of makes my morning to see the imposing Eva Ford with drool running down her cheek,” she disclosed, tracing a finger over her own cheek.

Evangeline reflexively brought her hand up to her cheek, checking both, her brows furrowing when they met nothing wet. “I did not drool,” she protested.

Hadley was laughing heartily. “You need not be embarrassed. It happens to the best of us – even me, on occasion.”

Evangeline huffed. “I was just worried you got some on you,” she defended.

Hadley displayed her hands. “Nope, quite clean!”

Evangeline rolled her eyes as she let Hadley disembark at her room. “I will meet you downstairs for breakfast?”

“I’ll be waiting,” Hadley called as she slipped out of view. Evangeline shook her head, pondering the statement. It was certainly true. She sighed, leaving her own room to seek out the bathroom down the hall.

In the shower, her thoughts were wrapped up with devising her future. It was new to her, thinking of her future, something that had only started upon meeting Hadley, who was very vocal about her plans. Evangeline had always thought about the issues others faced or what was wrong with the world, but she had never spared time to think of herself.

Dressed, she headed downstairs, joining Hadley and Ambrose in the kitchen. Hadley was perched on the ledge of the counter, where she always was when Evangeline came down, while Ambrose was busying himself by making bacon and eggs. He offered both girls some of what he finished. Hadley ate a piece of bacon cut to look more like a steak and Evangeline sat at the counter on a tall stool.

“Anything interesting planned for school today,” Ambrose inquired, as was routine.

“Is there ever,” Evangeline automatically answered.

Hadley scoffed. “Actually,” she piped up, over a mouthful of bacon, “they are making a big announcement about the coming career testing.”

Ambrose chuckled, giving his daughter a playful smile before turning to Hadley. “Oh? And what does that entail?”

Hadley swallowed down her food, her chest puffing up as she prepared for a long explanation. “The tests range in a number of different categories – law, rhetoric, history, logic, but also reflexes and more physical things. I think there is also some sort of personality test. Then, a number of organizations are given the records and offer some students internships for our second semester, in place of some of our in class studies. It is basically my way into the Class Law Division!”

Evangeline let her eyes focus only on her food. Hadley was doing it again, showing her confidence about her future and her choices. Evangeline tuned out the flood of conversation, where Ambrose encouraged Hadley to strive for her goals. Evangeline did not want Hadley to not have the goals she had; in fact, she really loved that the other girl had the goals she did. It was like a beacon of hope for others who were not S class and that was all Evangeline could ask for from the world.

When her food ran out, Evangeline noticed that conversation was no longer being had and Ambrose had actually left the kitchen. Hadley was studying her intently and gave her a small smile when their eyes met. “You ready to go?” Evangeline nodded. Evangeline set aside their dishes and then Hadley began situated on her shoulder, as she began the walk to school.

Evangeline was surprised when they had made it half way through the walk and Hadley had not said anything. It made her uncomfortable; she had gotten so used to having conversation on her walks, returning to silent walks seemed lonely. She could feel Hadley absently playing with Evangeline’s hair, a small physical reminder of her presence.

“So, no rushing this morning,” she said suddenly, trying to fill the void.

Hadley chuckled. “That’s a first,” she quipped.

“And not the last,” Evangeline vowed.

“We shall see. I am betting tomorrow will come and you will be right back to rushing around.”

“Do you have so little confidence in me?”

Hadley groaned and Evangeline could not help thinking she spoke wrong. It had been meant in jest, she also knew Hadley’s feelings on supporting Evangeline and Evangeline’s self-depreciating comments. “Just in this one area,” Hadley allowed and Evangeline could hear how she was restraining from making it a full blow conversation about Evangeline.

Silence fell heavy once more. Evangeline decided to let Hadley break it that time.

Hadley coughed, realizing that Evangeline did not intend to start up the conversation. “So, I heard talk that this is action week. What does that mean?”

Evangeline was grateful for the casual topic. “Well, our weeks alternate. There are Work and Action weeks. During action weeks, our mornings up until lunch are physical. The different classes rotate through the various possible areas – the gymnasium, the field, the cardio and weight room, aerobics and dance studio, and pool.”

“This school has all that?!”

Evangeline chuckled. “Yeah, private school and all.”

“So, Active week is this week?”

“For juniors and seniors, yes.” Both girls were seniors. “Our class has gym on Mondays,” Evangeline added.

“I am not really going to be able to participate, am I?”

Evangeline sighed as she pondered. “Yeah, I suppose gym is not really possible for you.” The muscles in her jaw tensed as she thought about it. “I am sure you could do something on the days we are doing weights, dance, or the pool. Maybe not the field.”

Hadley chuckled. “No skin off my back.” Evangeline cocked her head slightly, signaling her confusion to the girl on her shoulder. “I am not a huge fan of physical activity,” Hadley explained.

“Huh,” Evangeline acknowledged.

“Do you like physical activity,” Hadley asked. Evangeline did not hesitate in giving an affirmative. “Well, all the power to you,” Hadley giggled. “You can be physical for the both of us.”

Class started with an extended announcement. Hadley listened, excitedly quaking on Evangeline’s shoulder, tugging her hair when the Class Law Division was mentioned. Evangeline smiled at her display of delight and could not help paying attention. She was particularly caught by the special mention of the Safety Policing Division, which, for the first time, was extending welcome to S class students. Hadley caught it too, mumbling softly, “I thought the SPD was something people of lower classes jumped at, but I never thought of it as something S class people sought out.” Evangeline shrugged in response. “You could try to get in there,” Hadley suggested. After a moment, Evangeline shrugged again, but the thought settled deep into her mind, taking hold. Was that a future she could see?

When the announcements were done, the class was told to head to the gymnasium. There, Evangeline left Hadley with Ms. Rockwell, the instructor in charge of the gymnasium, while she went into the locker room to change. She heard word pass around that they were playing basketball that day and a small smile settled into her expression.

When she exited, she jogged over to where Ms. Rockwell was explaining that Hadley would have activities starting the following week, when things had been adjusted for her. “Until then, you are just going to have to sit out.”

“That is no problem,” Hadley called, smiling brightly.

“So, I am just going to place you on the bleachers,” Ms. Rockwell explained.

“I could hold her,” a soft voice piped up. Evangeline’s eyes settled on Sydney, a girl from their class that often skipped gym activities due to severe asthma. “If that is alright,” the girl added quickly, her eyes searching for approval. Evangeline frowned when she noted that the girl only directed her eyes towards Ms. Rockwell, the teacher, and Evangeline, as if she had more say in Hadley’s location than Hadley.

Hadley did not seem to notice or did not show it. “That’d be fine by me,” she consented. Evangeline watched as Ms. Rockwell allowed Hadley to move from her hands to Sydney’s and the two girl’s took a seat in the bleachers.

Ms. Rockwell headed the other girls onto the court and broke the class into teams. A game picked up and Evangeline lost herself in the game. Sweat soaked her clothes, her lungs burned, and her feet were sore, but she felt elated. She loved the rush of the game, the comradery she rarely experienced with her peers, the exhilaration of making a shot, and the thrill of swatting the ball away when an opponent tried to shoot over her.

She was in the zone, not needing to rest, everything working smoothly for her, until a lost ball rocketed towards the bleachers, bouncing harmlessly up a few rows. It had not gotten anywhere close to Sydney and Hadley, but Evangeline felt her stomach turn at the idea that it might have. The ball was returned to the court and the game continued, but Evangeline could not get herself back into the zone. She missed a post, the ball slipping through her fingers.

She swore and her eyes flicked to the bleachers, where Sydney was talking softly to Hadley who half watched the game and half talked to her. Evangeline had not even realized the ball had been turned over to the other team and she groaned as she ran to get into place on defense. Without her in place, the opposing team easily scored.

“Earth to the guard dog,” she heard Isabelle’s feral tone, “pay attention, would you?” The girl’s fingers were in her jersey, pulling her focus to green eyes. “Just because Sydney is not a Ford does not mean she does not know how to take care of someone. Get off your fucking high horse.”

Evangeline shrugged out of the other girl’s grip, setting her sights on the game, but her focus was now clouded by both Hadley’s fragility and Isabelle’s words, playing over and over in her head. After missing numerous shots and fumbling several easy denials, she asked for someone to sub in for her. With a terrible headache beginning to set in, she approached Ms. Rockwell.

“You are looking off, Eva,” the woman noted.

She nodded her agreement. “I am not feeling all that well,” she admitted. “Would it be alright if I showered and called it a day?”

The woman eyed her, but nodded. “I hope you feel better.”

She thanked the woman, for the release and sentiment, and headed off to clear her head.

~*~

The class returned to their designated room for lunch and Hadley knew Evangeline was not feeling well. “I see you got to shower,” she commented as Evangeline gave her a ride back.

“You are lucky I did, too,” came Evangeline’s attempt at a joke.

“How do you know I am not totally into sweat?”

Hadley felt the other girl shrug. “Even if you are, I am not,” she returned.

“Fair enough,” she conceded. When she looked around the room, no one was there. Everyone had left for lunch. “So,” she started, hesitating a moment, knowing that she was about to make conversation strenuous, “what happened between you and Isabelle?”

She heard the slow release of air from Evangeline’s lungs. She was helped down onto their shared desk and they stared at each other, Hadley willing Evangeline to be honest. “She was trying to get me to focus.”

“You had been doing really well,” Hadley commented, having seen Evangeline out play the other team with ease. “Was it because the ball came into the bleachers,” Hadley took a guess.

A momentary shift in Evangeline’s expression told her she had hit her mark. “I worry about you,” Evangeline ground out.

Hadley quirked a smile. “I am glad you are, but I was safe enough with Sydney.”

“I know,” Evangeline groaned, her tone suggesting she was more upset than her expression let on.

“So, what did Isabelle say to you?” Anger flickered across her face, but then disappeared behind her mask of neutrality. “It is okay to be upset,” Hadley offered.

“I am not upset,” Evangeline insisted, a bit too strongly.

Hadley arched her brows. “Really?”

“I am fine,” Evangeline said again.

Hadley could not understand what was going on. “Are you afraid to be upset?”

Evangeline stared down at her, brows descending towards her eyes. The muscles in her jaw twitched. “Fine, yes, I am afraid to be angry.”

Hadley sighed. Evangeline had never opened up about her emotions before. “You do not need to be,” she said.

“I do!” Evangeline contended, her breathing picking up.

“Why?”

Hadley could see the war going on in Evangeline’s head, the conflicting emotions. She wondered if the other girl could bring herself to share what made her so afraid. “I have the power to hurt people,” Evangeline finally explained.

Hadley felt her throat go dry. She had not realized just how much the other girl struggled with herself. “So?”

Evangeline’s expression was dark and Hadley wondered if she was pushing the conversation too far. “If I ever let my anger control me, I could hurt others,” she argued. “I could hurt you.”

Hadley breathed through her pulse rising, knowing that she could not show any fear at that time. “I know you would not hurt me,” she asserted.

“It would not be intentional,” Evangeline pushed. “All it would take is the wrong impulse while I am in a bad state of mind.”

“I know you,” Hadley pushed back, practically yelling. “You would never get to that point.”

Evangeline snorted. “That may be true. It may not. The fact is that I am afraid and I cannot help that.”

Hadley sighed, her head hanging. This went far beyond general class issues. She was genuinely afraid of herself and what she could do to anyone not her size, which, being the daughter of Jazeera Ford, Hadley imagined there were not many people she felt were safe around her. “I am sorry you are afraid,” Hadley offered. She did not know what else to say, how else to help. How does one stop fearing their own power?

When she looked up, Evangeline seemed to be deflating. “I just want to help people,” she admitted. Hadley was aware of this, without Evangeline telling her. It was clear in all of the girl's actions. She was a selfless person, concerned more about other people than herself. 

Hadley mustered a smile for her friend. “You can! You will! I know it!” Evangeline looked at her skeptically. “Like I said, you could join the Safety Policing Division!” It seemed very clear to Hadley that she had found the perfect solution. They needed to direct her desire to help people into something productive, to show Evangeline tht she could make a difference. Could she convince Evangeline of the same?

Chapter End Notes:

Woo! This chapter gets me really excited for what is to come! I hope you all enjoyed :}

Please be sure to let me know your thoughts!