- Text Size +

I apologize for the wait, everyone. I got so caught up planning the future of this tale that I struggled to get this chapter written.


The glare of the computer monitor illuminated Hadley’s whole body as she stood by Jazeera’s waiting hand, resting upon the mouse. In Hadley’s hand was a miniature version of the screen, with touchscreen capabilities, allowing her to manipulate what was displayed. Across the screen read was the recruitment website for the Safety Policing Division.

“See,” she called, zooming in on select words, “they are all about serving the people, especially the lower classes.”

She turned her gaze upward to the gigantic face that dominated her sky. Jazeera nodded, a soft smile painted on her lips. “That does seem like it would be up her alley.”

“You should push her to go for it!” Hadley exclaimed, excitedly.

Jazeera chuckled. “I think you are better suited to supporting and encouraging her,” she reasoned.

Hadley stomped her foot, eliciting a crooked eyebrow from Jazeera. “You two need to stop being so distant,” she grumped.

There was a sadness in Jazeera’s soft blue eyes. “She has never sought anything from me, no matter how much I offer it.”

“Only because she thinks she does not deserve it,” Hadley murmured.

Jazeera tilted her head downward. “What was that?”

Hadley sighed. “Nothing,” she said a bit louder. “Can you promise me that you will be vocal about your pride after I convince her to go through with this?”

Jazeera chuckled, nodding her head. “I am glad she has someone looking out for her.”

“She definitely needs it,” Hadley quipped and they shared a laugh.

Hadley deposited the touch screen back into its compartment in the front of the keyboard and then accepted Jazeera’s offer at a ride. “I believe Ambrose is planning dinner for in front of the television,” Jazeera announced. “Would you let Eva know?”

Hadley nodded her affirmation and Jazeera moved down the hall to the door that led to Evangeline’s room. Jazeera knocked softly, for Hadley’s benefit, and they waited together for Evangeline to answer. A call from within granted them entrance. Evangeline was casually glancing over a book she had open in front of a blank computer monitor.

“Hadley says you two have some studying to do,” Jazeera commented.

Evangeline did not look up from her book. “We have the personality portion of the Career Exam tomorrow,” she returned. “I am not sure how one studies for that?”

“Perhaps by reflecting on their past decisions and experiences, both external and internal,” Jazeera surprised Hadley by saying.

“Then I will ace the test,” Evangeline quipped, finally turning away from her book to face them. Her eyes focused in on Hadley and she raised an eyebrow. “Are you two conspiring against me?” A grin hinted at her levity.

“Hadley was seeking out advice about Class Law,” Jazeera answered smoothly, her hand settling on Evangeline’s desk so that Hadley could disembark. “I think she will do brilliantly,” Jazeera commented and Hadley felt her heart quicken. She had just been complimented by a hero of hers.

Jazeera departed, leaving Hadley and Evangeline to their work. Evangeline had returned her attention to her book and Hadley searched for a way to start conversation. “So, um,” she initiated, “your dad is planning for us to do dinner in front of a movie,” she relayed.

Evangeline hummed her acknowledgement. “A typical Thursday night,” she added. Hadley had noticed that they had done the same thing the week before, but was not aware that it had been a pattern.

 “So,” she tried again, but soon lost momentum. Evangeline picked up on the cues, however, and looked to Hadley, her expression a mix of questioning and encouraging. “The career testing,” she dropped the topic to give her hesitation context.

“Ah,” Evangeline chuckled. “You have a bit of a one track mind,” she noted.

Hadley shrugged, smiling shyly. “My dream is what has gotten me through the struggles of being my class.”

Evangeline wore her typical neutral, or as Hadley was beginning to think of it, empty expression. “When you can easily attain anything, dreams do not have the same meaning.”

Hadley frowned, exhaling sharply. “Maybe you are just dreaming too big.” She shook her head sadly, but then her expression became an over exaggerated pout. “It is totally understandable that as the daughter of the almighty G class Jazeera,” she said with a playful dramatic impression of a pompous critic, “you would think on a grand scale.”

Evangeline snorted. “Is that wrong?” Hadley nodded adamantly. “Why not enlighten me about how I am going about this wrong, Ms. I-have-all-my-shit-in-order?”

Hadley sobered, gathering her wits. She wanted to present her idea properly. “I think that you do not care about things that can be bought with money,” she began, eliciting a nod of agreement. “You care about people and you wish the world were not the way it is.”

“True, but unfortunately, the people with enough money to change the world are quite content with the way things are,” Evangeline commented.

Hadley frowned, agreeing with her assertion. “They remain in power because of the system that is in place, yes,” she ground out, “which is the battle field I will be entering - Law.”

Evangeline put her book aside, turning her full attention to Hadley. “I admire your strength,” Evangeline admitted.

Hadley tripped over her tongue as she tried to return the compliment. “You have strength too!”

Evangeline snorted. “I could never put up with politicians,” she proclaimed.  

“No,” Hadley agreed and Evangeline frowned at her, slightly confused. “That is the grand scale,” Hadley pointed out. “I think you would do well on the front lines,” Hadley announced. Evangeline’s frown deepened with her increased confusion. “You could change people’s worlds, on a personal level,” she clarified.

Understanding dawned on Evangeline. “In the Safety Policing Division?”

“Yes!” Hadley exclaimed. “I think you would be perfect at it!”

“I have terrible people skills,” Evangeline argued.

Hadley fervently shook her head. “See, I think you are wrong. You are so keenly aware of people’s personal rights, more so than the person themselves most times, and I think you could make anyone feel safe.”

Evangeline chuckled. “Is this what you were talking about with my mother?”

Hadley gave an exasperated groan, throwing her hands above her head. “Do not change the subject,” she demanded, stomping her foot.

Evangeline grinned. “Alright, I am convinced.”

Hadley was taken aback. “What?”

“I will join the Safety Policing Division,” Evangeline announced nonchalantly. “If they take me.”

“Just like that?”

Evangeline nodded. “Yeah, I had already decided I would when you had mentioned it originally.”

Hadley scowled at her. “And you just let me continue arguing a case I thought I would never win?”

Evangeline shrugged, grinning impishly. “I thought it would be good practice for when you get into Class Law.”

“Fuck you!” Hadley howled. “I sweated over this!” She crossed her arms over her chest huffily.

“Language like that is considered inappropriate in the courtroom,” Evangeline laughed.

Hadley began marching away towards her apartment, across the desk, and Evangeline rolled her chair so that she was in the smaller girl’s line of sight. “Dinner will be soon,” she huffed.

“Hey, come on,” Evangeline implored, “this is what you wanted, is it not?”

“You could have told me,” Hadley called, as she continued to walk.

Evangeline frowned, her large hand forming a barrier in front of Hadley, with her arm becoming a wall stretching the width of the desk, stopping Hadley’s forward movement. “I was going to surprise you when I got the internship,” she informed Hadley softly. “I honestly did not expect you to try to convince me farther.”

Hadley deflated, turning sheepish eyes on Evangeline once more. “I am sorry for ruining your surprise,” she intoned.

“That’s alright,” Evangeline smiled reassuringly. “I will just have to find something else to surprise you with and make sure it is something you cannot thwart,” she jested.

Hadley switched gears. “So, I think we both need to make sure we get good marks on the Law portion of the tests,” she publicized. “Would you care to study together?”

Evangeline laughed, taking Hadley aback. “Some children have nursery rhymes sung to them or stories read to them to put them to sleep,” she clarified. “I was read legislature and lab reports.”

Hadley snorted and shook her head. “Somehow, I can totally imagine that.”

Evangeline shrugged, grinning. “I can help you study,” she allowed.

Hadley looked to the clock on Evangeline’s desk. “After dinner, I suppose.” Evangeline nodded her agreement. “Would you give me a lift?”

“Shoulder or hand?”

Hadley expressed her preference for Evangeline’s shoulder and when she was in place, Evangeline brought them downstairs, where Ambrose was already putting in a movie. Evangeline settled onto the couch and it was not long before Ambrose brought out their food. “You are not going to spill any food on my shoulder, are you?”

Hadley scoffed. “Maybe I will,” she jeered.

“You will be cleaning any mess you make,” Evangeline asserted.

Jazeera joined them and they all settled in for the selected movie. When she had finished her food, Hadley leaned against Evangeline’s warm neck, grinning to herself about how the day had turned out. 

 

Chapter End Notes:

I hope everyone enjoyed! It was a short transitional chapter, so buckle up for the ride to come! I have most of the major events planned out now :3

As always, I appreciate hearing your thoughts!