- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The plot thickens as Jake learns a lot more about Kelly's past and possible future. Written from Jake's point of view 

I sat anxiously in the soft, fabric covered purse. Just me, a cell phone, and a lot of space for me and my thoughts. I shouldn't be mad at Kelly, I thought to myself. I wasn't even sure what was going to happen to me, much less what would happen with her. Her life was fine now, she had her family back and most likely her boyfriend. She could probably start school again in the winter semester and everything would be great for her. This made me a little happier as I felt like I hadn't completely wasted my life.

Don't get me wrong, I was going to miss my step-mom and dad, and even my real mom. I'd even miss Kendra and the fun times we had before... well, I wasn't dead yet. But I feared it would only be a matter of time. Even if I weren't dead, I may as well be. I couldn't do anything for myself anymore. Kelly was a saint for taking such good care of me in this time and all I did was get snappy with her for no reason. It wasn't her fault -- if anything, it was mine.

As I stirred in my juices a little longer, I was greeted uneasily by a familiar sensation. I was in motion -- but this wasn't the same motion I was used to. The purse was jarred from its place very quickly as I heard loud footsteps carrying me and the velvet prison upwards -- presumably towards Kelly's room.

"Geez, Kelly, watch it!" I found myself shouting. Again, I was being a bit snappy but I couldn't help it. I was bound to get motion sickness! It didn't matter, she probably couldn't even hear me.

Much to my surprise, she wasn't the one I had to worry about.

"Hey, Kel, you up here?" I heard the male voice shout out. Kevin.

"I'm in the bathroom, it'll just be a second" I heard Kelly's voice call from a short distance away.

At least that's what I had assumed. That was the scarier part about being trapped in here was not knowing what's going on. The scariest part of all though was that the purse was slightly open. I could make out the shape of a hand as I was harshly lowered onto a hard surface. I could even hear the rustling of Kevin's jeans as he slowly made his way away from the purse. How long would it be until he saw me?

The seconds seemed to go on for longer and longer as I sat in anxious silence waiting for Kelly to find me, or for someone to at least zip up the purse all the way so I'd be more hidden. I felt so afraid and I could only imagine how Kelly herself felt back when everyone called her "Lillian" or the "Lil One"

I could hear Kevin's pacing footsteps as he walked around the room. What was he so nervous about? I was the one who had more to lose. Just then, the pacing stopped. The room was silent again and I could hear Kevin muttering something to himself but it was incomprehendible.

"The hell?" I heard him say in a low tone. Just then I was shaken violently. The purse was lifted briefly off the surface and literally shaken by his massive hands.

Try as I could, I let out a brief scream. I don't know if that's what tipped him off, but somehow he had found me!

Suddenly, the zipper on Kelly's (well, technically Jess') purse was violently parted and a rough hand wrapped around my tiny body. I tried to scream but it was causing me more pain than good, his every movement was crushing my ribs and lungs! This had to be a nightmare but every moment felt too shockingly real as he stared down at me with a cold expression.

"You little punk!" he scowled. I remained still. He kept his grip firm but was now allowing me to breathe a little easier. I secretly wished he would just kill me at this point. I was beyond embarassed and afraid for my life. He then took his focus off of me for a second, still keeping me gripped in one hand as he peered down into the open purse. "Where is it? Where the hell is it?"

I shook my head at him in fear.

"Don't play dumb with me, you little shit!" he exclaimed. "You obviously know where it is! It worked on you, after all! You've got a lot of nerve, you know that?"

Again I looked at him vacantly. He dropped me onto the desk and I fell a couple feet but it felt like a good 10 foot drop. I landed roughly on my feet and fell into a defenseless pile.

"Ugh... please stop!" I cried out.

"Why should I show you any mercy?" he asked, raising his voice as he scooped me up again, clenching a fist around my body.

With what was left of my strength I cried out, "Please stop! Please help me!"

Almost as if by magic, Kelly came storming into the room in a panic.

"Kevin! Please! Stop! Don't hurt him!" she screamed. Kevin appeared surprised and turned around quickly, again dropping me onto the desk. This time I wasn't so lucky and landed hard on my back. I cried out as a sharp pain struck me. I struggled to get up again, trying to keep some pride and at least stay on my feet instead of laying down like a coward, which is what my mind kept telling me to do.

Kelly made her way towards me quickly, shoving Kevin aside and looking down at me with concern.

"I...I am so sorry!" Kelly cried, tears welling in her eyes. From the looks of her face, it looked like she had been crying at least once before because there were distinct red areas around her eyes.

"You're sorry?" Kevin retorted, "this punk tried to... tried to rape you and you're sorry?"

"WHAT?!" Kelly snapped. I would've snapped myself if I had the energy. What the hell was he talking about? "Kevin... what are you talking about?"

"The pepper spray" he said, giving her a stern look. I remained motionless and still, watching the tension between them as I hoped my joints would heal. Kelly stared back at him for a long moment. I was just hoping he wouldn't lose his temper again and hurt me more. Even though Kelly was there to protect me, it wouldn't take much at this point to bring me to an end.

"Pepper spray...?" Kelly asked. "Okay okay okay, hold on, I think I remember now"

I raised an eyebrow as I watched them hash this out.

"I gave you..." Kevin started.

"Yes, yes I know..." Kelly sighed, "You gave me some kind of ... mace... or something..."

"It wasn't just mace..." Kevin sighed, appearing noticeably angry again. I wasn't really sure where to hide because I was very much exposed. "It was a specialized formula ... an experimental bio-degradable agent which..."

"What the hell are you even talking about?" Kelly asked, sounding noticeably more upset.

Kevin let out a long sigh.

"You should probably sit down for this" Kevin sighed.

"Uh... maybe I would if someone wasn't taking my seat" Kelly chuckled, referring to the fact that Kevin was standing right in front of a computer chair that was in front of the desk I had been sitting on. Kevin rolled his eyes and stepped aside, letting Kelly sit beside me. She shot me a quick look and frowned.

"Anyway... it's been a while so I don't blame you for not remembering but I gave you that..." Kevin started.

"Oh I remember..." Kelly sighed, with a half smile on her face as she addressed him with a smug look on her face. "You got all defensive because of one time..."

"Yeah one time after your classes you came crying to me because some guy got handsy with you, don't try to play it off as no big deal!" Kevin snapped.

"Okay, okay, it was a big deal, I'll admit" Kelly sighed, "but I'm a big girl now, I can take care of myself... you didn't have to treat me like some kind of damsel in distress... yes, you gave me some pepper spray, I appreciated it, I really did... but I never used it"

"You never used it?" Kevin asked skeptically.

"Never" she said, "I swear to God, I never once needed it. But again, I appreciated you caring"

Kevin stared at her again for several seconds, then back down at me. I nervously looked at him and tried to look anywhere except his scowling face. Kelly tried calming him down by putting her hand on his. He focused his attention back on her as she shot him a serious look.

"Kevin, ...you need to tell me what's going on here... please..." Kelly said.

"Okay, okay..."Kevin sighed, "This is going to sound crazy and you probably won't ever believe me..."

"Um given what I've been through..." Kelly said, "...I'll believe just about anything..."

"Okay, well... again, this spray wasn't something you can just purchase anywhere" Kevin said, "The spray I gave you is a one of a kind agent... a resizing chemical"

I'm not sure if Kelly's facial expression said it all but I felt the color leaving my face as he spoke.

"Resizing... are you serious?" Kelly asked. "What the hell did you give me, Kevin?"

"It was supposed to be the cutting edge of defense for the 21st century... it was experimental though and very few tests had been run. I figured, worst case scenario, I was giving you an average variety of pepper spray" Kevin explained, "but if it worked, this chemical agent would actually shrink it's victim"

Again, Kelly and I appeared in shock. A small tear formed in her eye again.

"Wh-Where would you even get something like that?" Kelly asked.

"I um... probably shouldn't say" Kevin stuttered.

"Kevin! You need to ... tell me" Kelly said again, clutching his hand harder. He looked very nervous as he looked down at me and back at her. He let go of her hand and slowly walked away. "kevin... don't you dare leave... you need to tell me everything... now"

"Okay" he sighed, "okay."

Kelly appeared tenative as Kevin walked back towards her direction.

"I was tired of punks... giving you trouble, flirting with you, touching you, grabbing you" Kevin explained

"Kevin, that happened one time!" Kelly exclaimed.

"One time too many!" Kevin yelled, "and... just... ugh... knowing your history and all..."

I gave Kelly a look really quick but I doubt she noticed.

"...knowing your history, I got worried is all" Kevin sighed, "You know my dad works for Markcel pharmaceutical... they were working on this drug, this resizing agent. It came in many different forms but one of them was a powerful gas with the ability to alter sizes..."

As he spoke, I thought back to not that long ago when I had tried to help Kelly at the museum. The crates in the restricted area were unmarked but it was starting to make more and more sense what was going on. Markcel was one of the museum's sponsors and had other exhibits about scientific medical advances throughout history... was this their latest project?

"Your dad wouldn't give you that kind of stuff, Kevin" Kelly said, "I believe you... trust me, I believe you that it exists... but..."

"He didn't give it to me..." Kevin said in a whispered tone. "I kind of... acquired it"

"You stole it" Kelly sighed.

"I didn't steal... anything..." Kevin said, "I acquired it... it was in the interest of science. If it ended up working, it was positive results I could report to my dad"

"You can't tell your dad about Jake!" Kelly exclaimed, almost instantly putting her hand near me and turning it inward to protect me.

"...Jake... your um... little friend there" Kevin sighed.

"He's not my friend!" she blurted out. Gee, thanks Kelly. "I mean... he is... but... it's not like that..."

"Why are you protecting him?" Kevin said, "It's clear to me what happened and I can't stand for this"

"Stand for what Kevin?" Kelly exclaimed.

"He kidnapped you and did God knows what to you... he's brainwashed you, Kelly" Kevin shouted.

"That couldn't be further from the truth" Kelly cried. "Stop it, please... and don't hurt him anymore, and don't tell anyone about him, okay?"

"And why shouldn't I?" Kevin asked, "For years, criminals like him have been able to do what they want... oh sure, they catch some of them... but even then, they get off after a few years and they're back on the streets. This chemical could give people EVERYWHERE a chance to defend themselves... imagine how many fewer muggings there would be if the criminal knew what could happen to them"

"But Jake isn't a criminal!" Kelly said, now standing up from her chair and glaring at Kevin. "J-Jake saved me"

"Saved you..." Kevin said.

"Yes... he saved me... and I can never repay him for that" she sighed with a sad look on her face. "and that's why you can't hurt him and that's why... that's why... I don't even know..."

Kelly fell into Kevin's arms and began crying. He rubbed her back gently. All the while I held back tears of my own, wishing it would be me comforting her right now and holding her in my arms. I was probably going to die soon. I was probably going to die alone.

"It'll be okay, Kelly..." Kevin said, "I know you've been through a lot"

"You have no idea what I've been through..." Kelly whimpered, her voice growing quiet and weak.

"You're right, I probably don't and I'm so sorry I let you down" Kevin said.

"You didn't let me down" Kelly sighed, patting him on the shoulder and leaning in closer to him. "It's just... things were so horrible for me... and Jake... he saved me..."

"I still don't know what you mean by that, Kel, I really don't" Kevin said, appearing angry again. "Are you trying to tell me you didn't use the pepper spray and he just... shrunk on his own?"

"YES!" she said, pulling away from him. "and I can prove it"

Kelly went into the bottom drawer of her dresser and pulled out the tube of pepper spray. Kevin looked at her in shock.

"This... this is it..." Kevin said, holding the tube. "You didn't have it with you...? That's what I should've guessed when I didn't see it in your purse... but then... how...?"

"I don't know, Kevin, I don't know! That's what I've been trying to tell you!" Kelly exclaimed. "Besides that, the purse I had with me at the museum that day is long gone! and the pepper spray wasn't even in there as you can see... this is Jess' purse... not mine... the only stuff in that one was my cell phone and... Jake."

I sighed and looked down at the wood grain of the large desk. I guess I was just 'stuff' now.

Kevin then did something odd, he brought the pepper spray to his face and briefly smelled it.

"Hmm..." he sighed, "yeah this is definitely it"

Kelly shot him a questioning look.

"The chemical agent has a slight odor" Kevin explained, "it's very faint but it's there..."

"You think I just have tubes of random pepper spray laying around?" Kelly chuckled.

"This isn't funny, Kelly..." Kevin sighed. "If it was the chemical from this tube that shrunk... what's his name..."

"Jake" Kelly sighed.

"Right. If it was this stuff that shrunk him, I might know a way to cure it... but if it was something else entirely... I really don't know if the process is reversible" Kevin said, giving me a sympathetic look.

"You mean...?" Kelly asked.

"Well, I didn't even think this much was possible..." Kevin said, referring to me, of course. "...so anything's plausible at this point but if he just randomly shrank as you say... it could be irreversible"

"We don't know that!" Kelly said, quick to cut him off.

"Kelly, even if it was the pepper spray that shrunk him, there was only a 40% chance that he could be re-enlarged even near his original size... the growth formula is even more unstable than the shrinking one..."

For Kelly's sake, I hoped not.

"...and if there are other chemical compounds capable of this effect" Kevin explained, "it could be years before adequate research reveals how to re-enlarge people effected by them all"

"Can we just stop talking about this?" kelly said, beginning to cry again.

I turned away from the both of them and sighed. I understood some of what he was saying, but then again if Kelly randomly shrank and could be re-enlarged, there had to be hope for me too. At this rate, I'd try anything not to feel so embarassed and tiny.

The two embraced again, and Kelly picked up her teary face from Kevin's shoulder, looking down at me while he had an arm gently draped on her shoulder.

"Jake..." she sniffled, "I'm so sorry..."

Kevin nodded, also looking down at me.

"I'm sorry too, man" he said, "I didn't mean to hurt you... seriously"

I nodded and tried to look stoic. If it was possible, I felt even smaller than I was at that moment.
Chapter End Notes:

I hope you've all enjoyed this current plot arc, as things are bound to get very interesting in the near future. I eagerly await your feedback, comments, complaints, suggestions etc. and thank you again for all the support I've received thus far. I originally never thought this story would grow to the extent that it has but I'm very excited for what is in store.

For those who have asked, my chapters are not pre-written, but I do have some plot points in mind. Other than that, I'm fairly flexible. For those of you who want more "sexy" chapters, I can definitely say that it is coming soon (although I can't put a number on it).

Thanks again for reading!