- Text Size +

By the time I realize I’m home, I’m still thinking about the boy and his sister.

 

I think I’ve only seen one other tiny. It was before I shrank, and I was about seven or so. She was on tv—I think it was a late night talk show, and they were interviewing her. I think her name was Ashley or Amanda Sch… something. But before I even started paying attention, my parents sent me off to bed.

 

I kinda wish I asked to stay up longer.

 

“Yes, April,” I hear May’s voice speak up. I’m cut off from my thoughts as I watch my sister pace in front of the couch. She’s talking on the phone, and I’m just staring at her long legs, following the tan pillars until I’m staring at her feet. If anything, the nicknames Alpha and Omega would probably apply there. I’m just lucky I’m not under them right now.

 

“She’s fine. Look, she’s waking up right now. I’ll put her on if you want me to.” May’s gaze is directed towards me, a small pitiful form sitting quietly on the couch. My legs are dangling high above the ground, and I can’t shake the feeling of vertigo every time I look down.

 

May places her phone directly in front of me, and I see my sister April’s name and a picture of her face on the screen. It’s a picture of April at around fourteen. She’s acne ridden with the most awkward set of braces, but she’s smiling widely regardless.

 

 Little things like that remind me that they’re really my sisters and not some monsters keeping me prisoner.

 

“Hey, Junebug,” April greets sweetly. Her voice is a little distorted from the call, yet it never gets any less patronizing.

“Hi, April,” I say.

“You feeling okay?”

 

I hesitate, not knowing if she’s expecting an honest answer or not.

“I’m fine,” I force out.

“You sure? You looked pretty out of it when I saw you earlier.”

 

“I’m just tired.”

“Oh,” April pauses, “well, I have a surprise for you when I get off work, so don’t pass out before I get home.”

“Okay,” I answer, and we both say are goodbyes before April hangs up the phone.

 

About a second or two later, May flops on the couch, and I bounce up at the sudden disproportion of weight. I can hear her laughing, a half entertained chuckle as I hit the center of the cushion. She’s back to texting on her phone while she has one leg hanging over the other.

 

Every once in a while, May would start a small conversation, but it almost always ends up dying. I really have no way of getting off the couch other than asking for help, so I just sit there next to my sister.

 

After a good amount of time, May grabs me between her fingers. She’s holding me by the back of my shirt. Besides a startled yelp, I make no protest as I’m brought in front of her face.

“Ugh,” May groans, “you reek.”

Thanks to you, I bite back the comment, simply nodding in response.

 

 I’m whisked into the air, and I’m carried along the house until we’re in the kitchen. May drops me on the counter, a bit haphazardly, but it doesn’t hurt. I watch her move about the tiny galley kitchen, digging in cabinets, taking out a cup, pouring water in it, and sticking it in the microwave for about thirty second. It’s a simple process, but the way she executes it is mesmerizing. I swear she knows the layout by heart.

 

She lets the cup cool for a minute while she checks her phone. And after she deems it ready, she pours a small amount of warm water into a bowl just high enough.

“Get undressed,” she orders, her tone is gentle, despite being a little blunt with her command.

 

I’m forcibly removing my shirt, and it’s harder than you think it is. A day’s worth of foot gunk would leave anyone grungy. I do the same with the rest of my clothes before I climb on to May’s outstretched hand.

 

The water is warm, heavenly to say the least. I lie against the side of the bowl, letting my body soak in the soothing water. There’s a faint splash, and I notice the tiny lump of soap floating in the water. I let it sail there as I close my eyes. I just want to let this moment last.

 

“I’ll just leave you alone for a bit and get your clothes washed.” I nod, knowing she wouldn’t have seen it. I let out a soft hum of appreciation though as I continue to bask in the steamy water.

 

I know what you’re thinking: Juniper, how can this May be the same one who wore you in her shoe all day? Truth is, I don’t know exactly, but I like to think my sisters remember every once in a while that I’m actually family. It’s very rare, but I choose not to question it.

 

Our relationship as sisters has always been rocky, unstable to be more accurate. April and May have been butting heads for as long as I can remember. I remember my mom telling me it started when a six month old May loved pulling on her three old sister’s pigtails. My parents expected April, May, and June to be harmonious little angels, about as cute as their names. But of course it didn’t turn out that way. I’m actually glad my they decided not to have July.

 

Sorry, that was a terrible joke. It’s always been a running joke in my family. We’d pretend there was a fourth sister after a friend realizes how my sisters’ names relate. Although sometimes, I like to think little Juliet would be nice to me.

 

Anyways, being the youngest, I’ve always been the great mediator between April and May’s disputes, and I had to pick sides more often than I’d like. I think I’ve cost April a new car because of a secret speeding ticket and months of grounding with no phone or tv for May after she went to a high school party with alcohol, and all that stuff adds up to them when you’re the designated snitch.

 

I honestly think me being tiny brought them closer together. Instead of being the family referee, I’m the family lightning rod. The funny part is that those two aren’t so different.

 

I can hear the front door being opened, and I know April’s home. I can hear her keychain full of useless trinkets jingling from a mile away.

 

“I’m home!” April chimes brightly. Her keys hit the counter with a loud crack.

“Juniper’s in the kitchen.” May shouts from the other side of the house. “She’s taking a bath.”

 

I pay no attention to April when she walks in. I can tell she’s waiting for me to finish bathing. I take my time. She can wait. She owes me that for yesterday.

 

“Hey, Juniper,” she greets.

“Hi, April,” I say back nonchalantly. I raise my right leg out of the water and into the air. I’m comfortable, and I’m not about to let her pop my bubble.

“You seem content,” she points out, stating the obvious.

“Yup.” I answer, dragging the bar of soap on my leg.

 

I think I’m hanging on to the bath because it’s the one thing I have in control right now. That, and May still has my clothes.

 

Minutes pass, and I’m on the couch in a fresh set of clothes. April’s sitting next to me, digging inside of her messenger bag.

“I got you a little something,” she says, finally mentioning her surprise.

“What is it?”

 

Smiling, April pulls out a large brown wrapper. It’s crinkled and folded over, but I immediately recognize the marking. Sure enough, April brought me a chocolate bar.

 

“I kinda ate half of it on the way back, but it’s still good.” April’s voice is a little sheepish as she spoke, and I can’t help but appreciate the thought. “It’s for yesterday. I still feel really bad for what happened.”

 

She doesn’t, but I don’t fight it.

 

April breaks off a small block, and I find myself eagerly holding my arms out. It’s a piece of candy as big as me. How can anyone resist that? I don’t even hesitate in digging in, not caring about the possible acne or calories. I can hear her giggling from above, but I don’t mind it. If she’s happy, I’ll be just fine.

 

“You’re adorable, Juniper.” April coos, tearing a piece of candy for herself.

“Damn straight,” I call back, wiping the stains of the first few bites off my mouth.

 

“Whatcha got there, sis?” I hear May ask as she walks into the room and carefully sits next to me, keeping me between them.

“Chocolate, want some?” April offers, breaking off a larger piece and handing it to.

“Watch out, June, I think that might be a little too much for you,” May teases lightly.

“There’s never too much chocolate.” April comments, and as corny as it sounds, we all kinda just laugh to it.

 

It’s surreal. One day I’m trapped underfoot and almost eaten in chocolate by my sisters, and now I’m sharing a chocolate bar with them. We’re watching tv, talking, laughing over the cheesiest sitcoms. And I’m really feeling like I’m part of the family again. I don’t question it, but I want this moment to last.

 

My sisters aren’t all that bad. They can be nice…

 

When they want to be.

Chapter End Notes:

Now we know why Juniper hasn't tried to run off. Deep down, I really do think they care. They just have a really weird way of showing it.

Anyway please leave a review of what you think.