- Text Size +

My mind had never been busier than that day.  As I walked out of the office, I didn’t even care to look to see if the receptionist was there or not.  Ever since the lunch break, I’d just been thinking on everything I was setting up.  I made the wall in my office to measure my height every day to come, but that was only long-term.  I couldn’t have any answers for Rebecca that night but only after several days.  So, it wasn’t the only project I had been thinking up in that wacky head of mine.  I had lots of other ideas. 

When I got home, I was planning on laying some old shirts out so I could measure that as well.  If I was getting shorter, I’d be able to fit into clothing I wore when I was younger, right?  It made sense to me, at least.  It wasn’t enough, though.  My entire drive home was spent on trying to think of more and more ideas.  I thought about getting wrist-bands to wear and even looking for someone at work to help measure myself at the beginning of each shift. 

The only problem with the latter is the only person I knew was the Doctor, and she didn’t seem that interested in this worry about being shorter than before.  Maybe it was because she was a short, petite person, herself.  If she was conscious about her own height, maybe she felt something a little personal whenever I brought this thing up.  I’d figure something out, though.  Maybe I could wander the halls the next day and find another night-shifter to give me a hand.  Regardless, I would get all of this figured out in the most extensive height project ever seen and put Rebecca’s thoughts at ease.  That or be confused if I really was getting shorter. 

When I walked in the door, Rebecca was waiting for me, once again.  She looked at me with the same look I saw last night.  The look of someone worried about their closest friend.  She didn’t say a word as the door opened.  I didn’t let her, because I pulled her into a hug the moment I saw that worried look.  I made the hug last quite some time as I softly and gently rubbed her back, giving her some long-needed attention after all she’d been giving me the past several nights.  It ended with me speaking up about having a lot to tell her. 

We came back to the bedroom and got in bed together.  As we covered ourselves up, she looked into my eyes and asked about everything I had to say.  I allowed her to pull me closer as I began to speak.  I told her about what she said the night before, and that I was going to take this seriously from now on.  I then went on to talk about what I’d done at work that day.  Making the boards on the wall to measure myself and a host of the other ideas I had about old clothing and many other ideas that were forming as I spoke.  She stayed quiet and intently listened to every word I had to speak to her. 

When I finished up, I looked her straight in the eyes.  “Rebecca, I didn’t take you seriously before.  I’m sorry.”  Her lips began to curl into a smile as she reached forward to kiss my forehead.  Not without her own worrying coming out.  I could see a tear dripping down from one of her eyes as she did this.  She was a lot more worried today than the day before.  That guilty chill went all over me as see finally spoke.  “Don’t be sorry.  Just promise me, we’ll figure all of this out.  Promise me.” 

This led me to move my head and look her in the eyes again.  She was crying even further now.  I responded by pulling into her even tighter than before.  This had been affecting her far more than it had been affecting me.  So I held her tight and reassured her.  “I promise.  We’ll do everything we can to figure out what’s going on, exactly.  And when we do, things will be okay.  Please don’t worry yourself like this.  This will all be figured out soon.  I promise.” 

Before I knew it, the situation had turned.  No sooner had I finished speaking did I realize that Rebecca had fallen asleep in my arms.  It’s normally the other way around, but she must have been worrying herself silly.  I took a deep breath as I stayed still, thinking of what else I could do to try and help her not worry and feel better.  “Breakfast” I said to myself.  “I’ll get up early and make her some food later.  Yeah, that’ll be a good idea…” 

I then looked over to the clock, having to focus my vision to see it clearly.  Only a few hours away.  A good nap, and then breakfast for a very over-worried lady.