- Text Size +

The tension was in my gut the entire walk forward. It only took me a couple minutes to reach the receptionist's desk but it felt like forever. That strange blond never took her eyes off me, staring deep into my soul. That anxious feeling in your gut when you just know someone means you harm grew more the closer I got to her. When I finally got up to the desk, I was almost certain there was a hidden knife somewhere she was about to gut me with. She was a short, medium-build woman, but something about her scared the hell out of me.

We both were in silence for minutes, maybe longer. I put my arms behind my back, holding my wrists together, a habit I've had since watching way too much Star Trek. I looked at her, and she looked right back at me. I expected her to do something normal, like ask for my name or who I was there to see. I was too nervous to speak outright, but she never did. She just stared at me with those deep, blue eyes. Trading gazes, silence, trading more gazes. It almost felt like torture for me.

"Sir?" Her voice whipped and snapped at me. My heart skipped a few beats and I nodded to her. I almost lost my own train of thought and began talking about how scary she was. "Y-Yes, I have an interview. My name is--" The moment my name came out, she began looking down at a small clipboard, and away from me. As she mumbled to herself I couldn't help but feel at ease. With her gaze on something else, my body began to calm down and the fear she struck in me was fading away.

"Follow Me. There's been a change of plans" No sooner had she spoke did she stand up, her heels clicking the hard floor, beckoning me to go with her. Having a change of plans made me nervous, but she wasn't showing me out the door, so I followed closely behind. Automatic Doors opened as we entered a long metal hallway. There were offices, open areas, and even what looked like labs that we passed. It was completely different than the entrance. Like I had gone to some completely different building through a single set of doors.

As we walked down the halls, beckoned me faster as we passed by one of the labs. She made an ugly look towards the lab for some reason. I inquired as we went past, but she wouldn't answer me at all. I tried looking into the lab, curiosity taking its toll, but the windows were faded and tinted. I couldn't see or hear anything from it. Thoughts popped in my head. Was there something wrong with that lab? Or did this woman just dislike people there for some reason?

We eventually came to a small office room where she sat me down at a table. Her face still had a look of disgust from when we passed the halls earlier. No sooner had we sat down was a handful of paperwork slid towards me on a table. "Sign and Date it here and let me know the first day you can work"

The words that came from her mouth surprised me. My eyes widened for a moment and I even dared to look her in the face. "Excuse me?" I asked. "I came here for an interview, didn't I?" A couple moments passed and she had a look of impatience on her face. She tapped her fingernails on the table and looked right back at me. "Change of Plans. Remember? There is no interview. You sign that paper and you're hired, today. So do you want to work here or don't you?"

My gut tightened at the impatience of her tone, but I couldn't believe what she was saying. No interview or doubts? I would instantly get this job? It sounded too good to be true. However, I didn't need a pinch to realize I wasn't dreaming. All of the negative feelings I got from this woman were too real to be a dream. I quickly signed the paper and handed it back to her. We conversed a bit about the hours they wanted me to work. Night Shift. I agreed.

Not even 10 minutes went by that she walked back out the halls and to the entrance again. She looked me in the eyes as she opened the door for me. Her face then moved dangerously close to mine. Her eyes fixated on me like a predator on its next meal. "I expect to see you at 10 PM. Tomorrow. Don't be late, got it?" The preciseness of her ton made me nod in an instinctive reaction. As I turned and left to head home, I had so many tense thoughts. I had a job, but this woman felt like someone you shouldn't dare cross.

Still, as the tension left me, I headed out the door and back into the rain, content that I now had a job...