- Text Size +

The world slowly began to come back to me.  I let out a soft moan as I woke up with the worst headache of my life.  It was pulsing not only around my forehead but down around my nose.  My eyes.  My arms.  It felt like my entire body was react to each heartbeat with the pain of this headache.  I tried to reach up to put pressure on my head with my hands.  I was beat to it, though.  My hand had barely left my side when I felt something warm gently pressing down over my forehead for me.  Warm, almost soothing.  Accompanied by a gentle voice that almost sounded heavenly in my pained state.

“Shhh, I’ll take care of everything.  Just relax”

My eyes opened to a squint, showing the blurry image of what was sitting above me.  I could see a loving smile staring down at me.  Just barely.  A smile.  The silhouette of her head, shoulders, arms.  Even her hand that was pressed on my forehead I could just barely see.  As I took her words in, I just kind of nodded to her and closed my eyes shut again.  Just relax.  She will take care of everything.  The doctor will take care of everything.  The doctor…the doctor?!

It was one of those moments where you’re so far asleep yet one crucial thought pops into your head and a rush of energy forces you to not only be awake but incredibly full of energy at the same time.  For me, it was the words “The Doctor” that made me immediately remember my situation.  I remembered waking in that strange room.  Being so short and small.  Being so helpless to her.  And being so afraid.  As soon as my eyes opened in a split second and I immediately shoved myself away from her as hard as I could, falling down to a hard floor below.  I yelped as I hit, feeling a bruise forming on my bottom, and just looking up at the Doctor sitting in front of me, clearly still just as Amazonian as I remembered seeing her before.  

She slowly began to get up from where she was, a chair in a room that looked like a kitchen.  She looked towards me with worry written all over her face.  She stood and then crouched down to me, her face beginning to redden as she looked down at me.  In reaction, I just moved back further and further as the situation was forced into my head and the same panic that had come over me came back in full force.  The closer she got, the further I tried to scoot away.  Her face said she meant well, but my entire body said “Get away from her right now!  She’s the one who did this to you!”  

Her hands gently came over my arms, clearly trying to touch and comfort me in my afraid state and in response, I felt more able to use my lungs than before.  The moment her fingers began to wrap around my arms, I closed my eyes and screamed at the top of my lungs.  I screamed like I was being critically harmed and in danger, to which her hands immediately retracted and an apology quickly came out of her.  As soon as that happened, I lowered my voice and got to my feet, hugging the walls and moving around the kitchen, trying to keep my distance from her.  I had to.  At least, that’s what my brain was telling me.  

I then realized she wasn’t constantly following me anymore.  She just crouched down in the same place she was when I began to scream.  She wasn’t pursuing me around the room.  She just looked at me with a look of shock all across her face.  It seemed that my scream had gotten my point across, that I did not want to be touched at all by her.  But there was so much more that I wanted.  So many answers.  And above all, I wanted to awaken from this nightmare that I was trapped in.  Before long, I was able to push myself forward again, to speak and start asking.  
“Why?  Why did you…do this?”

There was an air of silence in the room that made chills go up my spine.  She looked at me and clearly heard what I’d asked.  Was she trying to find an answer in her head?  Or did she just not want to answer it?  Regardless of whether I would get a good answer or not, my entire body was getting nervous the more time went by.  The anticipation was killing me, even though I knew hearing an answer wouldn’t change the fact that I was now less than 3 feet tall.  

She began to move again.  She moved downward more.  Instead of crouching, she sat down in an Indian-style form.  She began to look at me again, the look of worry waning and a more serious look going onto her face.  This was the first time I’d seen such a stern look and the fact that it was stern made me even more nervous.  

“It doesn’t matter.  We’re here now and nothing will change that.  Don’t worry about it!”

That was it?  That was her answer?  That wasn’t an answer at all!  That was more like ‘I don’t want to tell you the real reason.  Therefore, you don’t need to know’.  I just stared at her and shook my head.  I couldn’t accept that.  I couldn’t accept this situation.  How could I?  This woman had somehow made me half my former size and took me somewhere I’ve never been and claimed she was there to take care of me.  As enticing as the idea of just letting someone take care of me was, everything about this situation was wrong.  

“I…I want to leave.  Right now.  If you….if you’re here for my best interests…get me out of here.”

It felt like déjà vu.  I had asked another question and another silence came across.  The stern, serious look returned to her face.  That question had been my second mistake since that situation started.  I didn’t know it at the time, but that one choice would cause my situation to get that much worse.  

“You’re here with me now.  You never have to go anywhere anymore.  And you won’t”