- Text Size +

I didn't get any sleep at all last night. No sooner had the news been broken to Rebecca had we both gotten overly excited about this new opportunity. Months without work and I got into this job without an interview! Direct hires like that don't come every day, and we both were counting it as a divine blessing. Rebecca had a job for a long time and was more than willing to support me with her paycheck, but she knew how much I hated having to mooch off of her money because I couldn't find any work. I love her very much, but wouldn't take advantage of her like that. Regardless, both of us were extremely happy about it. 

Naturally, I couldn't sleep at all last night or today. This new job's been on my mind so frantically that my body just won't shut down. So many questions are in my head: Where will I sit? What software will I support? What will my co-workers be like? What will my clients be like? Of course, none of the questions quite surpassed the constant "Will I be working with that scary receptionist?" thought. As much as I appreciate her giving me this job so quickly, every time she comes to mind, I get a cold chill down my spine. I've never been one to get intimidated by others, but this woman struck fear in my veins just by looking at me. I hoped to be far, far away from her with my office. 

I combed my hair back and came into the office for the day and almost died. Before I even had a chance to ring the bell and open the door, it quickly opened away from my hand. In the middle of the doorway was a pair of eyes staring knives into my soul and I was in shock. The blond receptionist again, at the door like she was waiting for me. I knew it had to be at least 10 minutes early. Within moments, the door opened the rest of the way and she looked me up and down, just like yesterday. "Early." she said, almost with a sound of disappointment in her voice. "Come with me." She turned and began walking away, not even bothering to look to see if I was following. As such, I began to follow her as I slowed my breathing down from the scare. 

I followed her through the same halls as before. Labs, all having clouded windows. I wanted to stop and think about these areas to remember how to get to where we were going. The receptionist was moving too fast, though. Her legs were carrying her faster at a walk than most people would consider a slow run. We passed by a lot of different labs and hallways, much deeper in the complex than we went the last time. Turns here and turns there. Stairs every so often that over time, I was sure I’d collapse from exhaustion before I even begin my day’s work. All the halls were empty, seemingly. Maybe no one was on break? 

I couldn’t think at the wrong time, though. No sooner had I noticed no one was around that I saw a short, petite woman in a lab coat walking by. My guide never stopped or even seemed to notice her. Just walking by. My eyes looked to the petite woman and her eyes peeked up at me through her glasses. She offered a small smile and I offered one back. “Hurry Up!” came a familiar voice and I hurried on, catching up with my intimidating guide. 

Finally, we reached a small office no bigger than a few cubicles at my last job. It looked nice enough on the inside. A large computer desk filled with a desktop, laptop, and many other accessories that I was familiar with. There was also a small table with chairs at the side and a mini-fridge. My guide stood in the doorway and snapped me back to reality from my observations. “Everything is here. Boot the PC and you can go through the training material. Call me on Number 1169 when you’re done.” 

I understood and nodded to her, thanking her for all of this. She didn’t answer, like she didn’t hear or didn’t wish to answer the question. As I got settled in and she was about to leave, she stopped and looked back, her voice slightly less loud. “You are to speak with and interact with no one in this building but me. Understood?” With that, she left the office, an automatic lock going into place from my side of the door. I blinked and watched as her silhouette disappeared from the doorway. 

What a strange job, I thought. I then booted the PC and began looking over the training materials, wondering what I’d gotten myself into…