- Text Size +

I knew what I did was dangerous.  Showing Hiroshi gratitude and affection could have made my situation of her being attached and possessive that much worse.  She wanted me to accept my place of being in her care and, most of all, depending on her.  Needing her.  As much as I didn’t want to admit it, I did need her.  If she hadn’t caught me I would either be dead or severely injured from that fall.  It created so many mixed feelings because she not only save my life, but she saved my life from one of my deepest fears. 

That’s why I hugged her cheek and showed gratitude.  Deep down, a part of me was very thankful that she rescued me when she did, even though she created this situation in the first place.  It was her fault I was in danger.  It was her fault that I was up much higher than I’m comfortable with.  It’s her fault I fell.  But, it was also her that kept me alive and kept me safe that day.  How can you not be grateful for something like that?  I didn’t know, and I became very grateful to her for doing this. 

The rest of the day had gone without much stress.  After my fall, Hiroshi became very gentle with me.  She carried me firmly in her hands instead of her kimono when we moved from room to room.  It was like her entire attitude had changed when that happened.  Maybe she was scared that she almost lost me.  Maybe she really was showing me legit, gentle affection in her own twisted way.  I didn’t know.  But for the rest of that day, I went with her as willing as you could expect with someone who can snatch you up like a doll. 

She took me around that house more times than I could count.  Setting me places while she did things.  I was put on dressers, tables, the bathroom sink, a computer desk, even the counter in the kitchen.  I got to see nearly every inch of that house in a single day, though to me, it looked more like landscape after landscape after landscape.  The bathroom sink was big enough to be a hot tub for me.  The kitchen table was like a soccer field.  The more she took me around, the more phenomenal everything around me seemed.  At first, I was focused only on her.  But with that day, I paid more attention to everything else. 

Eventually, I was set down on the kitchen table as Hiroshi made something for dinner.  I was just sitting next to a wooden bowl, probably used for fruit.  It was empty at that moment, though.  So, I was sitting and just looking over the ridges.  I was still a little It wasn’t long before my attention went to what she was doing.  The stove began to sizzle and my head jerks over as soon as I heard it.  The sizzling of food in a pan sounded like a steam engine nearby.  It was just a sizzle to her, but it sounded like a whistling engine to me. 

I winced from the sound and covered my ears for a moment.  It was so loud for my ears, even though it looked so far from me.  I didn’t even know what she was making, but it was starting to hurt my ears.  I ended up moving to the other side of the wooden bowl, hoping that it would help shield me.  The sound was loud and made my head pound.  I held my head tightly eventually, a headache forming which felt worse than the sound. 

It lasted for several minutes and the more I heard the noise, the worse the pounding got.  When it was finally over, I was on my side, holding my forehead tightly, wishing and praying for some painkillers.  I was never one to get migraines, but this headache was driving me insane.  Even as the sound faded, my headache stayed,.  It was always like that with me.  I practically lived off painkillers to help me with headaches, but clearly I couldn’t take a painkiller that was the size of my entire head.  My breathing deepened and before long, I found myself being moved.  I barely even noticed it, so much of my attention on my pounding headache.  Then I felt a cold pressure over my forehead and opened my eyes again. 

“Is that better?”

I blinked a few times, getting goosebumps from the cold.  I looked at my surroundings and I realized that her finger was dripping with cold water and she had gently pressed it onto my head.  I don’t know how, but my headache just seemed to go away in an instant.  I felt the large droplets of water running down my face and my back, but the pain went away, like magic.  As I was rushed back to reality, although very mentally worn out, I gave a brief nod to her. 

She set me down right after and I was shown a small, ceramic saucer.  There was a bunch of scrambled eggs, though they looked like over-sized yellow puff balls covered in slick cream.  As soon as I saw them, my cold forehead was instantly warmed up.  The steam coming off the eggs immediately dried me off and sent a big warmth through my entire body.  The change in temperature was different for me.  I shook my head but looked up at Hiroshi as she smiled down. 

Her finger patted on my back and she offered me a piece of the eggs in her finger.  In my slightly dazed state and my tummy immediately started to rumble, I reached forward and took it from her.  It was still pretty warm, but I could hold it.  For as long as it had been since I’d eaten anything, I just looked down into the huge glob of egg and started biting into it. 

It was definitely the largest meal of eggs I’d ever have in my life, and for the moment, I was happy to be eating something, let alone something I loved like scrambled eggs.