- Text Size +
I was a dead man. I was. I could see imaginary people around me, chanting “Dead Man Walking! Dead. Man. Walking”. In one of the biggest situations where my filter should never disappear, it did. The shock of what had happened rushed through me and I just couldn’t control myself. That’s what I kept telling myself afterwards, anyways. I don’t really know, even today. Losing control would be a convenient excuse, but deep down, I wanted to say it. I really did.

As lost as I was in the shock and memory, the moment I called out and called my giant captor a crazy bitch brought me back to reality, and not in a good way. As soon as the words left me, the reality of what I had said rushed into me. My face went pale almost immediately, because let’s face it. If you have a captor that can do anything they want to you, and had already come close to injuring you, yelling and calling them names just isn’t a good idea.

At first, she just looked at me. I had hoped that I was so small that she couldn’t hear me, but I knew she did. As she looked, stared even, I saw the pupils of her eyes start to twitch and shake. That was the first clue. Maybe she was dumbfounded at being called a crazy bitch or was just trying to process what she was going to do in response to this. In response to me not only talking back to her, but calling her insane.

That moment was when the real terror began. It started with twitching pupils. Then her eyebrows moved in a direction that I would never want them to move. It was only mere seconds, but it felt like several minutes to me. Her eyebrows moving down over the tops of her eyes. Her face getting red. And finally, her hand and arms tensing up, her veins showing from the tense look of them.

“Oh crap” is the only statement I could get out before I was winded from her hand whipping forwards and grabbing me with the speed of a cheetah. Her fingers wrapped around me and restrained me, like a vice. My body stopped moving, although I was struggling. The true strength of her fingers was starting to show itself. As much as I tried to squirm around, everything got tighter and tighter. I stopped resisting when it began to hurt.

After that, my eyes never left hers. A few moments ago, she was in tears for doing what she did to me. Now, it was the opposite. The look on her face had switched from being scared and apologetic to forceful and filled with anger. I didn’t need a word from her to know that. But, we all know that anyone who is angry isn’t silent about it. They vent.

“E-excuse me?! What did you just say?!”

Those two words were sent out loud, even for her, and I could tell I was in deep trouble. Her fingers were starting to hurt me and my helplessness returned. My teeth started to chatter against each other as I was forced to listen to what she had to say.

“I...I don’t understand…”

Her words had long pauses between them. Her voice was shaky and she walked both of us over to the bed. She sat and brought me up to her face before she continued. I could see the frustration in her eyes, but I could also see the confusion, the lack of ability to cope with what was happening.

“I…I said I was sorry! I didn’t mean to do that. I was worried about you! I cried for you! And you just think…you think I’m CRAZY?! Is that what you think?!”

Oh, lord. Questions. I hate questions in high-stress situations. But they were thrown at me, and I didn’t have the nerve to answer them. Across the unshakable fear I was now experiencing, I couldn’t say a word. How could I? Be honest and tell her she was crazy? I’d have to have a death wish to do that. And lie? How could I lie after what just came out just came out? So, I just stayed there, and said nothing.

“Come on. Tell me! I want to know…no, I need to know what you really think of me!”

Bad plan to not answer. She had started to cry, clearly worried about the idea that I might not like her or want to be with her. I didn’t, but my ability to talk only got more restricted. The more she got upset, the tighter her fingers got. I felt pain in my ribs, my hips, and my chest. It was suffocating.

And then the real reason it was a bad plan not to answer her happened. The stress of being strained by her hand was too much. Everything went black and I passed out.

At the time, I thought it was a way to get out of the conversation. But giving her time to process this without a rebuttal would only lead to bad things. Because when I awoke, I was in a place very different from before. Before, I slept on beds, or on her. But when something stabbed my side and forced me awake, I was in no bed. A long object retracted between two tall bars. I woke up in a cage…