- Text Size +

I guess I should have been thankful, at the time.  She could have done worse to me.  I just blacked out.  A particularly emotional stroke and I could have woken up in a much worse situation, or rather, a much bigger situation.  I don't know why she didn’t just shrink me more, since that seemed like her go-to punishment from before.  But I guess I should have been thankful she didn’t do anything worse than what she did.  


But, right now, I was the size of a doll in the hand of an emotionally unstable woman with every intention of keeping me with her for the rest of my life.  When you’re given terrible and another terrible situation choices, you’re not too thankful when you’re in a terrible situation either way.  And all of this was running through my head as her serious eyes stared me down and I tried not to freak out to further lose her trust in me.

She set me down on what looked like the large kitchen table we had been to a few times before.  I say “what looked like” because I was still adjusting to all the dizziness of being moved around so suddenly.  She didn’t give me a lot of breathing room, per say.  Not that you could blame her if you were in her position.  If our roles had been swapped, I might be doing the same thing, or worse.  

“Now, my little one.  I hope you listened to the rules, because this is your first test”

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate tests?  Sure, I did well on them in school, but just the idea of taking tests I’ve disliked.  Being forced to test your knowledge on very specific aspects that are drilled into your brain that you’re only remembering right then and there because you’re being tested on it.  I’ve always hated them and this was no different.  

She moved away from me for a moment and reached for something under the table.  Did she have all of this planned out?  Did she already schedule such an intricate test for “reforming” me?  If this weren’t so terrifying, I’d be impressed by her dedication and amount of effort she’d put into this.  As the thought passed, she pulled out a large piece of paper and a pen, setting them down next to me.  

“Pick up that pen and write down the rules I just told you”

Was she serious?  Pick up a pen half my own height and write on a piece of paper?  I just looked at her for a moment.  I couldn’t help but send that “Are you serious?” Thought straight back at her.  Surely she realized that it wouldn’t be as simple as picking up a normal pen.  It would be like picking up a huge lamp and using it as a writing instrument.  But, the look just sent me a look back, followed by one of her hands behind me, nudging me towards the pen and paper.  

“Well?  Go on.  Pick it up and write.”

She had to be kidding.  She had to be.  But the look on her face said otherwise.  Not only that, but I never have been the strongest man out there.  Sure, I could help with moving heavy things, but I was never one for weight-lifting or anything.  Who knew how heavy that pen would be for me.  It might be more like lifting up a couch at my size.  I just stared at it until the hand behind me shoved me forward, making me fall onto my knees right in front of the pen, catching myself on the pen, itself.  She started glaring down at me with a look of disappointment on her face as she brought it close to me again. 

“Pick.  It.  Up.  Or should I remind you that if you break a single rule of this house, you WILL be punished?  After all, you’re making me do this to you.  This is your fault”

And in that moment, I suddenly gained the strength of Superman.  Being threatened with punishment would be enough to make me do practically anything.  So, I reached down and tugged on the pen.  Surprisingly enough, it was simple for me to lift.  It really was like a lighter lamp.  That feat was impressive, but it also meant that I had to do what she said.  

“Good.  Now, walk over to that piece of paper and write down the rules.  You’ll never follow them if you don’t remember them.”  

I did walk over to the paper, though it looked more like a thin carpet to me.  Except it was a flat, rough, hard carpet.  I stared down at the lines going across the paper and dreaded my task.  Using all of my arm strength, though, I lifted the pen into position.  Accepting this task, because well, I couldn’t refuse.  She was right there, and if I refused, I would get punished.  So I pushed down and began to write.  

Scrape

I yelped as the weight of the pen suddenly increased when I pushed down to write.  It slipped right out of my grip and I fell face-first into the paper.  This wasn’t going to be as easy as I thought it was going to be.  But, I pulled myself up after I heard loud giggling behind me.  She was getting a kick out of this.  I lifted the pen again, but it suddenly got lighter.  I looked behind me and saw that two of her fingers were holding onto the top of it.  

“I’ll help you.  Now, Rule #1.  You remember?  In the Cage”. 

When I pressed down this time, it was much easier to write without falling.  In fact, I never even started to slip until we had completed the second word.  I was pretty proud of that, honestly.  It took some time, but I finally did write down the first rule.  The rule that restricted my escape, requiring me to be in a small cage whenever I’m not with her.  
I was starting to get a little tired when that was over, but she helped me with all three rules.  In a cage.  Follow her instructions.  Punishments.  I really was worn out by the time we got done.  I practically fell over just finishing up the word ‘Punishments’.  

I was pulled upright, though, and forced to stand.  My tired body clung to her hand as I  just looked up at her, now wearing a small little grin on her face.  I could see it.  She was drinking in all of the control and that willing touch I had given her.  The last time I’d had a choice of whether to touch her or not, well…you know how that turned out.  

“Good job.  Now you’re not going to forget any of these, are you?”  

Still wearing that grin, she intensified her gaze towards me.  I could only think of her as a mother or teacher, drilling rules into their children or students.  I quick shake of my head told her that I wouldn’t.  Of course I wouldn’t.  I couldn’t forget after this ordeal.  

Then, she let out a little more of her soft side.  Her face came up and kissed my forehead.  As her lips left me, she smiled and just said three words to me.  Three words that I know shouldn’t go with this amount of obsessive control and possession.  And definitely did not go with her grabbing and holding me like a doll before walking elsewhere.  

“I love you”