- Text Size +
I’ve gotten a bit off on a tangent about my own situation back then, haven’t I? Well, readers, it’s high due time I got back to talking about the other side of this story. After all, my kidnapping isn’t the only thing that had excitement. My poor, sweet Rebecca was having her own grief trying to find me, as did someone else that she ran into at my place of work. Let’s get back to what they were up to during all of this.

Once Rebecca was out the door and driving home, the receptionist sat at her desk, watching through the windows as the car went off into the distance. Her eyes stayed on that point for a good while, imagining the roads past the walls of the building and seeing Rebecca driving further and further down that road. She breathed in deep and slow as she looked, almost transfixed on the mental image. But, the car wasn’t was she was focused on.

“Shorter…”

As she mumbled that one word to herself, she was thinking pretty deeply. From that entire conversation, only that one word stuck with her. She had passed off the rest of it, but something about that word stuck in her mind and bothered her. She tapped her fingernails on the desk as she tried to search through her thoughts to try to understand why, though.

Hours went by and she stayed staring at that one spot. People came in and left, clocking in and out of various shifts and she just sat there, transfixed on that one spot and that one word. It meant something to her. Something important. She knew it, but she couldn’t think of it. Eventually, her trance snapped her back to reality the moment that a feeling between her legs made her twitch.

“Bathroom”

She just muttered the word to herself, as if she were unable to process saying more than one word at once. But as easily as she had said it, her shoes clicked on the floor and she put up an Away sign and went towards the halls to go relieve herself.

Her heels clicked and echoed around on the halls until she swung the door open and it shut and locked. Not a word was said for the entire walk. Just a simple walk from one end of the building to the other. She sat herself down on the toilet, did her business, and then went up to the sink to be able to wash her hands and return to her position.

As soon as she turned the sink off to wash her face is when it hit her. Water splashed up against her face and just dripped down. Her hands froze in place as she looked towards the the mirror, at herself. At her own reflection. She saw herself, just as she always did. But something struck her mind and made her realize that what she was seeing wasn’t right. It wasn’t her. It couldn’t have been.

The confusion hit her for several minutes. From her now-messy hair showing blonde curls all over the place. The way her hands just surged through her hair in that moment made her look like a schoolgirl with a bad hair day. But the more she messed her hair up, the worse her feeling got. Until it all came down to one word coming out of her mouth. A word she had been focusing on for some time.

“Shorter…”