- Text Size +

After I got back into my office, I had a guilty feeling that I would have a message on my phone or PC that would just scream “Busted!”  The receptionist did tell me, after all, not to interact with anyone but her.  Then again, I was beginning to question whether she was even a secretary.  She acted more like she was my boss than anything else.  As the thought passed, I hit my phone and waited for another call.  It was a long wait, given the time of night, but it gave me time to mix up and try to tea the Doctor had given me. 

As I sipped it down, I smacked my lips a few times, trying to really get in the taste that this tea produced.  It wasn’t sweet, but wasn’t sour.  It wasn’t powerful, but not weak.  It was a taste that I can’t really describe.  It tasted good, but I just didn’t know how to define it.  I sipped at it over and over again as I waited for call after call after call.  As I was taking my final sip, a loud banging hit the door, causing me to reflex and spit the tea in my mouth all over the cup and my arm. 

“Come here” said that familiar, short, cold voice of that blond woman.  She never seemed to get a single statement out without being very blunt and to the point.  Without knowing the reason for her visit, I slowly got up and unlocked the door, wiping my arm off with a nearby towel in the process.  From the sound of the latch, the door swung open and there she was, staring at me with the same death glare that she had given me every time I’d seen her the past two days.  She looked over to me, but was suddenly distracted. 

Her eyesight immediately went to my arm, still being wiped off.  “What’s on your arm?” she said as she reached for the towel.  She scanned my arm up and down as she tossed the towel back into my office…  In the midst of the chaos, I explained that it was tea I had been drinking.  She offered me an intimidating gaze, looking me right in the eye.  There was a pause where she muttered to herself before she spoke again, pushing this one-sided conversation.  “Be careful.  I don’t want anything damaged.  If you can’t keep your drink under control, keep it in the fridge.” 

She kept looking at my arm and back at me.  I wanted to inquire this odd behavior, but she spoke of her passion about everything being clean, spotless, and perfect.  She then turned and left without saying a word.  No “Good job so far”.  No “I need you to work harder”.  Just, turned and left.  Though as she closed the door she turned and gave me a devilish smile, the first time I’d ever seen her do so.  Chills ran through my body at seeing her lips curling into anything remotely like this.  My fingers began to tingle from the sensation, and I began to wonder if she’d just come to further intimidate me.

I didn’t see her for the rest of my shift that day.  The hours came and they went and I found myself home.  It was so early in the morning but Rebecca was still awake.  She was at the door and quickly embraced me, congratulating me on a first day at my new job.  After being around that receptionist, I was more than happy to have the sweet, gentle touch of Rebecca at my disposal as I clung to her and never let go. 

I told her about everything that had happened during the day.  Especially about the two people I had met.  Rebecca was never much of a talker so she just listened as we laid in bed together, her slender fingers slowly brushing back my hair.  I talked for what seemed like forever and as I looked towards Rebecca, I began to notice that she seemed a little more motherly towards me.  Her touch feeling different than before.  It almost felt her touch was around more of me. 

I questioned her but she just tossed it aside, blaming it on the stress from my “boss”.  With her reassurance she hummed to me until I fell asleep, entering the world of dreams before my next day of work…