- Text Size +

When I got home from my second day, everything felt a little off for me.  The way both of them ignored me just bothered me a lot.  The receptionist I shouldn’t be worried about.  She always makes me feel so tense and stressed out, but even her ignoring me was grinding my gears.  I was glad to be out of the day and back home.  Because I knew there was at least one person in my life who would never ignore me or dodge me.  Rebecca would always be there to give me a much-needed hug.

She wasn’t there when I first got to the door, so I let myself in and prepared to get into bed.  As I walked into the bedroom, I could see why.  She was curled up under the covers, fast asleep.  No surprise for me.  We work different shifts, so our sleeping patterns have got to be off.  Putting me to sleep the night before must have made her have an incredibly tiring day.  I changed and got in bed next to her.  The lights were out, but I could still see the moonlight shining over the silhouette of her sleeping form.  I couldn’t help but lean forward and offer her a kiss. 

Just at that moment, I started to gasp.  Not a single breath was taken between the time of my kiss before her arms acted on command and coiled around me, pulling me into her.  Her lips then curled and eyes opened up with a giggle.  “Surprise, surprise, honey.  You always fall for this!”  She leaned forward and kissed me back and my whole just melted in her arms.  I should have known this would happen.  Rebecca’s done this to me so many times in the past.  Pretending to be asleep and catching me right when I least expect it. 

I didn’t have to say anything to show her my appreciation.  Tears immediately ran down my cheeks as I got the long-needed attention that I was denied all day long.  Her lips came and pressed hard onto my body.  They passed over my eyes and swept away every single tear, and that same maternal protective feeling came over me again.  Her arms tightened, and I felt more and more that I was a helpless child in the arms of its protective mother.  I’ve never remembered how her touch has affected me to such a degree but I closed my eyes and didn’t care one little bit.  I just indulged and let her warmth envelop me. 

“That’s a good boy.  You just let me hold onto my precious teddy bear and drift away.  It’s the best gift for both of us, isn’t it?”  I nodded in reaction, already half-asleep.  This feeling was so strong in me that I just started shutting down the moment I felt her touch.  She whispered to me over and over as I drifted off to the land of dreams.  “Sweet, little teddy babe.  Ever since your new job, you’ve been that much cuddlier.  Don’t stop being this way.  Don’t stop being such a snuggly teddy for your Rebecca” 

My mind went blank as I fell asleep in her arms, her words ringing through my ears and guiding me to sleep.