- Text Size +

A Port in the Storm

Angeline redirected all of her guests into the parlor/sitting room, lighting several candles for illumination, an odd hint of lilac hanging sweetly in the humid air.

“How long has the power been out?” Daphne asked.

“Oh, about going on five minutes now,” replied Angeline.

“It just went out?” Karli asked.

Angeline nodded, “About six minutes ago now.”

Aedin’s headache was finally beginning to subside. The interior of the house looked incredible, loads of antiques lined the mantle and old photos gave the place a real museum quality. Daphne sat right beside him on the chesterfield.

“This storm isn’t likely to blow over in just a few hours, you all going to have to get settled in here for the night, maybe two,” Angeline advised.

“A lot of unhappy souls at the Superdome,” Eddie said, envisioning an angry mob outside the home of the New Orleans Saints.

“What kind of mental midget goes to a rock concert in the middle of a frigging hurricane?” Charlie asked, half smirk on his face.

“I would,” beamed Celeste, the smile on her face pulling up the metal piercings in her face as she turned her gaze over to him.

“Um, yeah,” he replied, unsettled by her look.

“She’s all yours,” sniggered Pete, before belching noisily. “Pardon me, normally I throw up,” he added, grinning.

Amanda frowned and shook her head.

“So if we’re going to be here for a day or two, do you have enough room to accommodate all of us?” Eddie inquired, innocent look on his face.

Angeline shook her head, “I got six bedrooms, and there be ten of you. Everybody’s is going to need to double up,” she advised.

“Don’t even say it,” Karli said, eyes locked on Eddie.

“What?” he asked, innocent look now wounded.

“Amanda and her daughter can take a room together, Daphne and Celeste, Aedin and Charlie, Pete and Eddie,” she said, pairing people up. She looked at the bus driver. “You take the last bedroom, I’ll curl up out here,” she said.

“Somebody switch with me, Pete farts in his sleep,” petitioned Eddie but receiving no takers.

“Speaking of farting, what about some vittles?” Pete asked, looking around before settling his eyes on Angeline.

“There’s a bunch of munchie stuff on the bus, we could grab some of that before the weather gets much worse,” offered Charlie.

“I’ll go,” offered Aedin.

“I’ll help,” said Daphne, big grin.

Karli scowled but nodded.

“You lot can help me get a fire going and we can get some water on the boil,” Angeline said, looking at the other women.

Amanda smiled and nodded.

“We can get some wood,” said Pete.

Eddie snickered.

“Don’t” warned Karli, holding a hand up in Eddie’s direction.

Aedin and Daphne

The trek back to the bus wasn’t too bad, the trees lining the roads sheltering Aedin and Daphne from the brunt of the gathering winds and the rain still falling at about the same volume as when they had gone to the house, the smell of vegetation hanging thick in the air. Wrapping an arm around her, they hustled back to the bus. Opening the door, he went in first and to the area where the band kept their snackables. Kneeling down, he pulled out a couple of bags of chips, a box of flavored crackers, some beef jerky, and a big white and blue bag of double stuff Oreos.

She stepped in close, close enough for him to catch a whiff of her perfume or what remained of it after running through the rain, water dripping down off of her onto him.

“You know we’re alone now,” she said suggestively, moving her hips slowly from side to side.

He looked up at her and smiled, nodding.

Reaching down, she put her hand on his head, “There’s no rush for us to get back is there?” she asked, her pink tongue playing with her lower lip.

He frowned and stood up, several inches taller than her. Her hand moving over his body as he rose coming to stop on his genitals.

She giggled.

He maintained his smile, “Under different circumstances, you know, maybe without a hurricane and all, we could have a little fun together, but for right now, I think we need to keep it on hold,” he said, leaving her hand where it was.

She leaned forward, up onto her tip toes, hand still groping him, “I’ll take that as a raincheck,” she breathed hotly in his ear.

He cleared his throat and turned, breaking her contact with him. “Okay, help me get this stuff gathered up so we can get it back to the house,” he said.

She nodded, coy smile playing on her lips as she twirled a strand of wet hair in her fingers while he gathered up and armful of treats.

Picking up the rest of the goodies, she followed him off the bus and back into the weather and back toward the plantation house.

She giggled to herself as they quick stepped.

He frowned, not understanding her sudden bout of mirth. “What?”

“Just thinking I’m walking through the rain with Aedin Stray, puts a little smile on my face,” she said playfully.

“Uh huh,” he replied, shaking his head.