- Text Size +

"Dr. Foley, our security team watching patron 113 sent us this footage fifteen minutes ago, what do you make of it?" Simon was at the board room table, having been woken up and called to this emergency meeting just minutes before. Cindy, their COO was across the table from him. Video images of his two board investors filled the far wall. The footage in question was running. He struggled to bring his groggy focus to bear on it. 

In the first clip, patron 113, Chris Rothchild, held his passenger car door open while a woman entered the car. The image was low-quality and heavily zoomed, obviously taken from far away. The imagery was skewed yellow from the heavily artificial indoor lighting. It looked to be an indoor parking garage. As the woman crossed behind Chris, she appeared several inches taller, though her feet were not in plain view. It also appeared the full front of her blouse was open. 

The clip cut to another scene. The same car, the same woman getting out. The shot was outdoors, with a multi-story building behind. It looked to be an alley or back entrance. Chris was holding the door open while she exited the car and quickly moved towards the door. The camera angle was less obstructed this time, and at the moment she walked past the man, the image froze. She was barefoot and visible head to toe this time. Her head an inch or two above the man in the footage, despite being mid-walking stride. She was obviously taller. 

The still image of the woman walking close-by shrank and shifted to the side. Two face-shots appeared. One labeled 'Patron 113 - Chris Rothchild', the other labeled 'Suzanne Oliver'. A variety of personal details filled tables next to their photos. Highlighted in red lettering were their heights, the woman was listed as 5'7" while patron-113 was listed as 5'11". Finally, a diagram overlay was progressively added to the still image. It attempted to estimate her actual height by adjusting for the geometry her legs were in mid-stride. The geometry calculations yielded a result, approximately six-foot-four inches, which after a few more calculations, indicated a 13% height delta. 

Simon was still a bit foggy from having been woken up. His first conclusion was that the elaborate quality of the video production and the timestamps indicating that all of this had happened less than an hour earlier demonstrated convincingly that this security detail was worth the ridiculously high pricetag he had balked at earlier. Then his thoughts turned to the imagry, vocalizing as he considered it, "I see. Our security team picked up footage of patron 113 and what they believe is the result of a sernasa event. Experimental evidence showed that patron-113's Rashja levels did not fall-off as expected, and this is in-fact the scenerio we were watching for," he saw the wry look on the board member's faces and corrected his language, "the scenerio we were concerned about. So they're fairly convinced the woman in the photo is this," Simon pauses as his eyes searched the screen for her name on the dossier image, "this Suzanne Oliver?" 

Reed spoke up first. "Dr. Foley. We did not wake you in the middle of the night for your conjecture on the identity of the woman in the photo." Reed appeared to press something on a computer in front of him, and the screen shifted to a collection of photos of Patron-113 and the female subject. Many of of the shots offered quite clear views of their faces, and they were beyond any doubt the same people in the video footage. In a couple of the photos they appeared to be close and intimate enough that it seemed obvious the two were in some type of relationship. "This excellent security team your assistant set up has done a perfect job of making the facts clear. What we'd like to know, is what do we need to do about it? Or more to the point, is my investment at risk, and how are we going to mitigate that risk?"

Just as Simon was about to respond, he was interrupted by a husky low voice that seldom offered much in their board meetings. By far their largest investor, Gerard Lutont, seldom spoke, but when he did, everyone listened. He was a burley man with a beard. "It seems we all under-estimated this anomaly with patron-113." His words were paced slowly, lending them an unusual weight as his pause hung in the air. "However, we should not over-react. When we began this project, we felt that publicity was an inevitable eventuality. This may simply step up our timetable." Gerard opened a manilla folder in his lap. "I've reviewed his patient file, and his psych profile seems quite stable. On the footage, he seems to be taking steps to keep this situation private, sneaking this woman out of her office and into his home. Let us merely prepare for press-contact, watch and wait. Afterall, the island resort is quite... isolated." 

During Gerard's commentary Reed had grown visibly agitated. He obviously wanted to interrupt, but something about Gerard's commanding voice and presence kept him at bay. Now that he was finished, Reed's pent up energy spilled out. He stood, his voice loud and unnerved. "Gerard. I have an incredible amount of money tied up in this investment. Simon, I want your team immediately focused on a scientific solution to this situation with patron-113. In the meantime, we should bring him back to the island immediately. There is no way we can sit and wait and leave this to chance. Dispatch a team..." 

Gerard somehow interrupted without interrupting. He hadn't said a word when his subtle on-screen gesture cut Reed off mid-sentence. A moment later, after everyone had pause to prepare, he spoke. "Dispatch a team and what Mr. Kendrick? Kidnap the man? We are not a government. We do not possess an army. This is not a war. He is a free man. Perhaps in your ivory tower you beileve it reasonable to buy yourself out of trouble whatever the cost. I however, am a man of morals. We will not violate Mr. Rothchild's rights." Reed was again visibly agitated on the monitor. If part of him agreed with what was being said, he hid it well. Gerard on the other hand, was completely calm. He somehow settled even further back into his chair, his shoulders shrugging. "Waiting is exactly what we will do."

The discussion was far from over, and Simon could tell it would be a long night.