- Text Size +

Simon Foley was knee deep in validating the model for their new resort expansion. Despite the resort having quite healthy margins once underway, the initial development costs were substantial. Recent events demanded increased security, and fitting those into a profitable five year plan was turning out to be challenging. He was so deep in the numbers he didn't notice Cheri enter until she was right next to him. Which was quite a feat, as she was nine feet tall and her lab coat didn't nearly hide her Rasjha enhanced curves. 

"Simon. Are you listening? Simon. You have to see this. Right now." He realized she had been trying to get his attention for a minute or two when he pulled himself away from his work. Finally having his attention, she reached in for the computer, navigating to the resort's computerized television feed. A moment later he was watching some kind of CNN news program, with a ticker tape scrolling on the bottom. 

"...so you see, what I'm offering can bring out a new type of peace; one where leaders, diplomats, and citizens can all be protected from terrorists to a degree never before possible." The voice was somehow familiar to Simon, but it obviously wasn't just the speech that had Cheri interrupting his work. The shapes cut off on the sides shifted, and Derek started to realize what hadn't been obvious at first. Those were huge arms, coming from shoulders well above his head. Was this man flanked on either side by giant amazons, on worldwide television? Was this really happening? Rashja was going public right now! 

"Let today mark the day that the Protectorate arrived to rid us all of terror." The camera panned out to show the full size of the amazons, both about three feet taller than him. Simon thought it smart, to make them big enough to prove his point without showing the full extent of the Rashja's capabilities. But wait. This wasn't Chris Rothchild. Who was this man? Simon recognized him, but from where? He puzzled as the speech continued. "We will begin by offering the Protectorate to major world leaders. Soon after, we will make them available for private protection services, and finally we may find a middle ground for peaceful military service." The man held his hands wide as dozens of camera flashes snapped off near simultaneously. "Now, now. I'm sure you have many questions...." 

Simon muted the volume, and started rummaging through the clutter on his desk. It wasn't that he found the speech unimportant, he simply knew he'd be able to watch it later in it's entirety. He just had a nagging feeling he knew where he saw that man before. Having shuffled the papers on his desk around, he turned, and repeated the gesture on the bookshelf behind him. 

"Where is it? Where is it?" He murmured to himself. Then he found it. A Time magazine issue from a few months back with the very same man on the cover. He produced it and triumphantly held it out to Cheri just as the man's name was titled onto the newscast. He read the title on the cover, "Wendel Varden. Billionaire fallen. This is the guy!" He tapped the magazine cover. "This is the investor we turned down. He had some issues with our secrecy policies, wanted full disclosure with investors. We suspected he was out to steal the Rashja."

Cheri pointed at the screen as an overhead helicopter shot made the proportions of the amazons even more apparent. "Looks like he got it anyway."