- Text Size +

"I'm Kathy Turina, and you're joining for continued live coverage of a spectacular new development in human science, as it unfolds." - In the newsroom, signals among the team placed the helicopter camera full-screen, Kathy in an inset, and titling along the bottom reading 'Downtown, 4th and A'. - "We're looking at the live feed from our news helicopter as it circles a site just four blocks away from our own RNN headquarters." On screen, a black bus sits parked close to a nightclub, outside which about a hundred people have gathered. Outdoor lighting on an ice-sculpture and a red carpet are a stark contrast against the black unlit street and buildings.

Back in the newsroom the executive producer watches a monitor where Alan Wong is still awkwardly attaching a microphone to shirt as the team performs their sound checks and adjustments. He presses a button to patch himself into Kath's ear, "stretch it. We're bringing you Alan Wong in two minutes." 

Kathy hated filler. It's where people change channels and news goes to die. "Less than an hour ago, tweets suggested that Amazons will arrive at this otherwise unremarkable venue." She put in a longer than necessary pause, knowing the more she could draw it out, the less worthless verbage she would need to invent. "Surprisingly, our sources with The Protectorate tell us they are not, I repeat, not taking responsibility." Long pause. "It could be a social hoax, challenging the validity of the facts unveiled earlier this evening. However, *if* we do see Amazons emerge from the bus, it means Wendel Varden is not the only party with access to this technology."

On the cue-prompter, Kathy could see Alan's feed was finally ready. "And here, rejoining us live, is University of California Berkeley Anthropology expert Alan Wong." The out-feed switched and split to show Kathy and Alan's panels side-by-side. "Alan, you helped us digest an amazing announcement from the Protectorate earlier this evening, yet the Protectorate have denied any involvement here. Did you expect such an early second appearance of Amazons?" 

"Amazon's?" Alan cleared his throat. "The history and myths of the Amazon tribes are already confused enough without this improper interjection of some modern human transformation. Current research suggests Amazon's were merely a progressive tribe whose female emancipation pre-dated the European and Asian societies by several centuries." Kathy doubted her viewers would care about any of this, but it seemed better the more worthless filler. She let him continue. "Since none of this has been scientifically verified or reproduced, I'm hesitant to call this anything other than theatrics. However, it would be more etymologically correct to call this phenomenon human stature enhancement.

"As for your question, at the moment I merely see a parked bus. However, it is quite common in science for techniques to be developed independently by multiple parties at nearly the same time. This happens because inventions are not isolated events, but are built on the backs of our entire body of scientific knowledge. For example, the wheel simultaneously appeared across Eurasia near the mid-4th millennium BC; sailing ships were independently invented by many cultures with proximity to oceans; and even elements of Calculus and modern day..."

Kathy waved her hand, signaling the newsroom to finally reduce Alan's frame-cut and zoom the on-site scene. "Excuse me Alan. There is activity on the ground." The helicopter cam zoomed in on the front of the black shuttle bus, where passengers were obviously exiting. "Yes, it looks we're seeing two, no, three people emerging from the bus. From this angle, they do appear to be Amazon's -- excuse me Alan, enhanced women. One of them appears to be at least seven feet, with the other two slightly shorter."

What Kathy didn't need to say, is that their swimsuit-only attire seemed about as appropriate in downtown New York as a polar bear in Bermuda. It sure made for good television ratings though. "Alan, do you concur it appears we're seeing evidence of female body enhancement?" 

"Kathy, this is highly unusual. Without scientific evidence, there is no way..." Alan's words paused as the helicopter angle changed and a clear side-view showed a blond woman's shoulders above the heads of nearly everyone around her. What's more, she didn't just seem taller, she seemed somehow proportionally 'bigger'. 

Kathy picked up in Alan's stall. "Yes yes, Alan, we understand there is no proof, we're seeing live and shocking events unfold before our eyes. Still, it's hard to refute the obvious. This is the second time today we've seen women enhanced beyond normal human..."

"Wait a moment there." This time Alan was interrupting, and Kathy allowed it. "There are many well documented cases of individuals above seven feel tall, not only in modern times, but dating back through all recorded history. In fact, in 1890 de Lapouge unearthed fossils of a ten-foot-tall giant man in France which carbon dated to around 8000 B.C. 

Kathy was hardly paying attention as he continued. A story that started out like a career ending hoax now seemed not only palpably real, but it was unfolding just blocks from the studio chair she was sitting in. She had to get out there. She swiped her finger on the console touch screen, tapping the button requesting commercial, and then impatiently writing out the word 'NOW' in block capital letters. 

Her stare into the camera wasn't aimed at the audience, but her executive producer, who she knew was watching every last stroke. She heard him in her ear. "Kathy, I can't cut now, this live footage is gold." She cleared the sketchpad, and slowly wrote out her intent, in movements so subtle no viewer knew about the silent argument going on below the camera frame. The words finally spelled out her message. IM GOING MOBILE. CUT BEFORE I WALK. When he finally realized what she meant, it sent him into a mad scramble, "Right! Brilliant! Give me five minutes Kathy." 

In the broadcast room he started shouting orders. "You. Go find me an alternate to replace Kathy right now." The intern was already turning for the door, planning to get their alternate anchor, when another order was barked out. "A woman! It has to be a woman!" The intern paused, perplexed, no longer knowing what he was supposed to do. "Go now! Get any woman can put on-screen. Now!" With that he ran out the door.

Back on the air, they had left Alan Wong rambling on and on, but the producer could see Kathy had reached her limit. He wanted to shout back to her, but she had already removed her earbud. He did the only thing he could, he shouted an order to place the helicopter footage full screen, leaving Alan Won'g rambling academics as a vocal backdrop. He pushed a button to put his voice in Alan's ear. "Alan, this is great stuff. Keep talking. We're swapping out Kathy." Never in his entire career had he left a live program running without an anchor. If something went wrong this was career ending folly. Glancing over at the other stations, they were running re-roll from the Protectorate demonstration, or on-the-ground crews with a view of nothing but the crowd. He had to keep that helicopter footage rolling.