- Text Size +
Jessica talked with her mom for a few minutes about the upcoming research, concerned with her friend's safety. After being reassured by her mother, Jessica gathered up her bag and materials and headed upstairs to her bedroom, leaving Alex alone with her mother.

Jessica's mother finished the last of her water and threw the bottle into the recycling bin. She picked up her heels and placed them by the front door before she returned to the living room.

"May I?" She asked Alex, bringing her finger close to him. She scooped him onto her long nail when she received a nod from the boy. She walked over to a door in the kitchen, off to the side. She opened the door to reveal a flight of wooden stairs which led down into presumably the basement. As she descended the stairs, Alex saw that this was actually her lab, as it was filled with beakers, papers, crucibles and other scientific resources. The whole place looked nice and was illuminated by a series of semi bright blue lights.

The creak of the wooden steps underneath Jessica's mother's feet ceased as she stepped onto the cold, white tile of the laboratory floor. She walked over to a long desk where a large assortment of things such as well plates and graduated cylinders were being held. She placed Alex down on an open space of the hard metal. She then turned around and started to gather materials, including a clipboard, paper and pencil.

"Alright, Alex," Jessica's mother said. "I understand you may be afraid, but it's important that you trust me, or else the results may not be accurate. I'm going to put you in a series of events, and although they may seem dangerous, I want you to know that I would never hurt you. I just want you to trust me and relax, okay?"

Her soothing voice and kind face, along with the fact that her daughter had done a great job of watching over him, made Alex trust Jessica's mother and believe her words. He admitted that he had been feeling somewhat afraid, but he was feeling less so now.

"Okay, so how this will work. I'll set you up in a situation, and I want you to answer my questions on a scale from 1 to 10, with 1 being not at all or little and with 10 being very much so or a lot. Or, just answer my question if a 1 to 10 rating doesn't apply. Sound good?"

"Sounds good to me," Alex replied. "I'm ready whenever you are."

"Okay. Let's begin, then."

Jessica's mother again placed Alex on her fingernail and now placed him on the floor a good distance away from her. Alex looked up at her towering form and realized that she was a very tall woman, even by normal standards. She was probably around 6 foot, maybe even more.

"Alright, Alex. First situation. I want you to pretend like we don't know each other, or like I'm a stranger. Remember, trust me and be honest," she explained. "For this test, I want you to stay still and stay standing where you are."

Thunderous booms filled the air as Jessica's mother took small yet poweful steps toward his position. Her feet grew larger as they steadily approached. Shortly after her beginning steps Alex fell from the sheer force of her mighty footfalls. She continued to walk towards him until her big toe was a mere couple hundred feet or so from his position.

"On a scale from 1 to 10, how scared would you be right now?" She boomed, her powerful voice resonating through the air.

Alex looked up at her monolithic toe which stood loomed ominously above him for well over a mile. It was definitely the largest toe he'd seen yet. Each one of the numerous ridges on the face of her toe looked like they could hold a small village with room to spare. A pleasant smelling lotion emanated from her toe, though her toe was filled with tiny (to her) specks of dirt and whatnot, which were too small for her to notice.

"10," Alex replied truthfully. Had she not been someone he knew and trusted, Alex would be downright terrified of a toe that utterly enormous in such close proximity of him.

"Thank you for your honesty, Alex," she said as she scribbled something down onto the paper. "Alright, next test. Same rules, but I don't want you to turn around this time."

Jessica's mother walked behind him, her titanic toe lifting up and flying through the sky at dizzying speeds. The rest of her foot passed overhead, even longer than his mother's sole, which measured an impressive 8 miles long. It still perplexed Alex as to how something so completely gargantuan could move so incredibly fast.

Jessica's mother stopped close behind him and placed her feet together. She then slammed her feet into the ground forcefully a couple of times. The booms were so loud that Alex had to cover his ears to prevent too much damage. He'd always complained of people talking and walking hurting his ears, but nothing compared in volume and intensity to this. Of course, he was thrown to the ground in a few short milliseconds from the tremendous booms.

"Sorry about that one, Alex, but it's for the best," she apologized. "Okay, I've got a few questions about this one. First, how loud was that?"

"10, definitely," Alex answered quickly. "I've never heard anything so loud."

"Mhm... Alright, how frightened would you have been?"

"Um... 8-ish. I'd be pretty scared if someone's footsteps were that loud."

"I bet," Jessica's mother chuckled as she wrote down Alex's answers. "Now, I want you to brace yourself a bit. It might get a bit rough..."

Jessica's mother took a large step back before placing her hands onto the ground and then subsequently her knees and eventually her entire body so that she was lying on her stomach. The tremendous noise created from her lying down was almost as bad as her intentionally loud stomping.

"Okay, now for this test I'm going to make a few faces. I want you to look at me and answer my questions, as well as the typical 1 to 10 one again. Ready?"

Alex nodded and the third test began. Jessica's mother smiled down at him, her eyebrows arching in an apologetic form. She tilted her head slightly to the side as well.

"What kind of emotion do I appear to be portraying?" She asked.

"Sympathetic, kind, empathetic, any of those," Alex answered.

"And how afraid would you feel?"

"About a 2."

"Good, good." Jessica's mother moved on to the next face. She furrowed her brow and glared down at him, clenching her fists as well. Her face seemed to show the perfect level of angry but not too angry, which Alex thought was the worst kind.

"What kind of emotion was that?" She inquired, returning her face to a neutral one with a happier demeanor.

"Angry, frustrated, ticked, maybe furious."

"Okay, and how afraid would you have been?"

"Around a 9. That would be terrifying, having someone dozens of miles tall angry at you!"

"Definitely!" She laughed, preparing for the next face. This one, she raised her eyebrows in a quizzical way. She tilted her head to the side and widened her eyes a bit, leaning in closer towards Alex.

"Alright, what was that last one?"

"Curious, interested, inquisitive," he replied.

"And finally, how afraid would you have been?"

"Hmm.. probably about a 9 as well."

"Interesting... you would be just as afraid of a curious giant as an angry one? Would you care to explain why?"

"Well, I mean, an angry giant is definitely scary. They want to hurt me, so of course I'd be frightened. But a curious giant is scary, too. Who knows what they'd do? She could hurt me accidentally, force me to do anything. She might not be aware of how much is too much, and that would not be good."

"Ah, yes. I understand what you mean. Well thought out. I might not have looked at it that way. Alright, just a couple more tests and we'll be done. You're doing great so far."

Jessica's mother stood up to her full, imposing height, careful not to harm Alex.

"Okay, hold still," she said absently as reached down to him, picking him up. She placed him on her big toenail and then stood back up.

Alex looked around at his new surroundings. What would as appear as a smooth, immaculate nail to someone the same size as Jessica's mother was to him a seemingly endless, sprawling field, filled with hills of different heights. These hills were actually just spots where a bit of extra nail polish had accumulated. Totally unnoticeable to a normal person, but something that reached up to 30 feet tall to him. He looked down at the dark blue polish, studying his reflection. He looked up and around. The expanse that was this woman's toenail went on for as far as he could see.

"Okay, Alex," her powerful voice called out. "How scared would you be?"

"Around a 7-ish. It is pretty frightening."

"Alright, and what are you thinking right now?"

"Lots of things. I'm thinking, I'm really high up, if I fell I could die. I'm thinking, this toenail is so huge I can't even see the end of it. But maybe most of all, I'm asking myself, 'why did she put me up here? What is she going to do me?'"

"Those would all be very real concerns if this was an actual situation you found yourself in, definitely. Alex, I'm sorry if this question comes off as rude, and you don't have to answer it if you don't want to, but... do you happen to feel any... arousal?"

Alex hoped she couldn't see the red he was now flushing. He wasn't sure why, but he definitely was feeling a bit aroused.

"Y-yes..." he answered meekly.

"It's alright, no need to feel ashamed!" Jessica's mother chuckled. "It's quite a normal feeling for teenage boys. As for why you may feel slightly aroused, that I am not sure of. Maybe it's because of your lack of power, or maybe because of where you've been placed? I don't know; that is not my field of expertise."

Alex turned an even deeper red at this, still hoping she couldn't see. This whole shrinking ordeal made him realize he may have a bit of a foot fetish, something that, now that he knew of, he wasn't so proud of.

"Okay... now for the final 'situation'," Jessica's mother said, carefully taking Alex off of her enormous toenail and placing him on the ground close to her even larger toes. "Now, Alex, this situation is probably the most stressful, and, well, dangerous. Please just trust me and do as I say and you'll be perfectly fine."

Though he still trusted her, Jessica's mother's words made him a bit apprehensive. He wondered what this final test would be.

"Alex, I'd like for you to lie on your back," Jessica's mother asked. "Good. Now, you must stay very still. Do not get up or move around. Please."

Very slowly, Jessica's mother moved her foot closer to Alex so that it was incredibly close to him. She then picked up her foot and placed her heel down so that her sole rested diagonally over Alex. Then, she slowly began to lower her foot.

Alex squirmed and fidgeted in place as her colossal sole grew closer and closer to him. He could feel himself actually sweating. He was unsure if this was really part of the research or if Jessica's mom was just going to kill him. He squirmed more as the sole got even closer. Her sole filled his entire vision, and even craning his neck back didn't allow Alex to see past her foot. Everything around him began to become darker.

"Put your hands up so I know when to stop," she ordered.

Alex did as he was told, her sole getting closer and bigger with each passing second. He began to become very hot as the warmth from her sole filled the air and as he began to sweat even more. Soon enough, he felt the warm, soft flesh of her sole meet his sweaty, puny hands. He closed his eyes and turned to the side, not wanting to watch what would happen next.

Jessica's mother stopped her foot's descent when the just barely felt the near microscopic hands of Alex against her huge sole.

"Alright..." she said. "How scared would you be?"

Alex didn't answer right away, regaining his composure. He wiped his forehead, which was covered with sweat.

"Alex? Are you okay? Alex?" Jessica's mother inquired when she didn't receive a response.

"Yeah, yeah... I'm-I'm alright. Just needed a second. What was the question again?"

"How scared would you have been?"

'More like how scared was I,' Alex thought to himself. That was a very real scare for him, and it wasn't yet over, as the vast expanse of sole still rested but only 3 feet from him, on his scale as well.

"Is there an option for more than 10?" He semi-joked.

"Really? That afraid?" Jessica's mother laughed a little, shaking her foot considerably and moving Alex's hands back and forth.

"Yeah, I would've been absolutely terrified if that was real."

Alex breathed a huge sigh of relief when he felt Jessica's mothers humongous sole lift off of him and slam into the ground next to him. He was glad the whole ordeal was over. That was, by far, the worst test.

"I'm very sorry you had to go through all that, Alex. I can tell you didn't like that one," she said apologetically. "But hey, look on the bright side. This information will certainly help with the serum to get you back to normal."

"Thank you, Mrs. Monroe," Alex said to her.

"You're very welcome, Alex. I'm just doing the right thing. You're a very kind kid and I believe you certainly deserve to see a cure. I bet you've been through a lot. Thank you for your assistance. Would you like to go back upstairs while I work down here, maybe see Jessica?"

Alex nodded and was scooped off the floor into her long nail. Jessica's mother thundered up the stairs and opened the door. Nearly an hour and a half had passed since they went down. The sun was still high in the sky since it was June. Jessica was sitting at the island in the kitchen doing homework and smiled as her mother came up with Alex in hand.

"Alex was an excellent helper with me downstairs," she said to her daughter as she placed him near her on the island. "Thanks to him, I have plenty of research for this cure I'm going to work on. I'll see you guys in a bit and I'll cook up some dinner. Sound good?"

Jessica nodded and looked down at Alex as her mother walked back downstairs. And Alex couldn't help but stare as her mother walked downstairs, her enormous feet taking powerful steps down the stairs.