- Text Size +
Alex and Jessica talked for a bit about school and whatnot while they waited for Jessica's mother to come up. Jessica focused on finishing her homework as Alex sat on the endless granite table. He thought about the tests that Jessica's mother had put him though and wondered how useful they actually were. He trusted her still, though, and believed that they must have had a use if she made him go through them.

Alex felt the ground shake and knew that Jessica's mother must have been coming up the stairs. Sure enough, the shaking became more intense and then the white wooden door swung open. Jessica looked up at smiled at her mother, who smiled in return.

"Good news, guys!" Jessica's mother thundered. "The research I've compiled has really helped the cure effort. If it keeps going at this rate, I think it'll be done by tonight!"

"Wow, great work, mom!" Jessica congratulated. "I guess those tests really did help, huh?"

"They sure did," she replied. "Thank you, Alex, for your help. I doubt I'd be as far along without it."

Alex blushed at her words. Those tests actually did help the serum. Now that he thought about it, the tests weren't too bad, actually. He'd be under her feet again in a heartbeat if it meant he'd be normal again. He was actually excited now. He felt like this would be the end soon.

Jessica's mother walked over to the fridge, still barefoot. She leaned over, her butt sticking out quite considerably. Alex couldn't help but look, and his small size guaranteed that no one could see him looking. Being small did have its benefits.

"Hmm..." Jessica's mother said. "What would you guys think about breakfast for dinner? Would that be okay?"

Jessica looked at Alex, who had luckily looked away a few seconds ago. Jessica shrugged at him, signaling that she didn't care. Alex shrugged back, and Jessica told her mom that that was fine. Jessica's mother pulled out some pancake batter and walked over to the stove, grabbing a pan. She began to cook, and Jessica finished her homework, leaving Alex again with nothing to do.

Alex thought back on his experiences while small. It sure was an adventure. The first day had been the worst, when neither his mother or his sister knew of his predicament. Constantly avoiding their feet was a terrifying experience. He thought about Sarah, Wolf and Fox. He hadn't seen them in days. They were likely just another red splotch on his mother's sole at this point, unfortunately. He'd really gotten lucky, now that he thought about it. He wouldn't have been saved if his mother wasn't the giant, and if Jessica hadn't helped him he really would be in a bad spot.

The loud sound of plates being placed on a nearby table shook Alex from his thoughts. Alex turned around and saw Jessica's mother sitting down at the table. He then felt Jessica's warm fingers pick him up and carry him to the table. She placed him next to her plate, which rose high into the sky. The smell of pancakes filled the air.

Jessica broke off a tiny piece of a pancake and gave it to Alex before she began to fix up her own. The small piece she'd given Alex was larger than the boy, but at this size, basically everything was.

Over dinner they discussed the serum and talked about Alex's time while shrunken. They'd already talked a bit, but they wanted to know more about what the world was like when one was so tiny.

After dinner, Jessica's mother went back downstairs to continue working while Jessica and Alex went into the living room. Jessica turned on the TV and placed Alex on the end table next to the couch. They both watched the television for a few minutes.

"So, Alex, you're not gonna be small for much longer, huh?" Jessica said.

"Hope so," Alex replied. "Don't want to jinx it. Your mom is great for doing this. I thought I might have been stuck like this forever."

"I guess we got lucky. She's good at what she does, too. She's no novice at this."

"Also good. Who knows what would happen if she didn't know what she was doing? For all we know I could get even smaller. I think you'll agree that I'm small enough as it is," Alex laughed.

Jessica laughed as well and they continued watching the show. After a short while Alex felt the familiar rumble of footsteps. The basement door flung open and Jessica's mother walked into the living room.

"Good news, guys," she said quickly as she strode into the room, not taking a seat. Alex's eyes lit up as he heard this.

"What? Did you finish it?" Jessica asked her mother.

"Not quite," she answered. "It's nearly done, but we need to do a few things first. Come on, follow me."

Jessica's mother waved her hand and began heading back towards the basement. Jessica picked up Alex and followed her mother downstairs. The stairs creaked under both women's bare feet as they entered the lab.

"Okay, Jessica, put Alex on the table over there and stand here, please," Jessica's mother asked.

Jessica put Alex on a table filled with beakers and papers before walking back over to her mother.

"Alright," she said as she reached around for materials. "I imagine you both want to know what's going on. This serum I've developed will be able to restore your size, Alex, as well as anyone else that's shrunken. It will return the cities to wherever they came from by reverting their state to what it was a couple of days ago, before they shrunk and were transported to your home. It also will transport everybody with the cities, so you won't have to worry about your house being filled with strangers.

"There is a small flaw with it, but that's why I brought you guys down here. The serum doesn't just unshrink the people in your house, Alex. What it does is increase the size of all humans that it affects. So, while it would restore you and the others to your normal size, it would make Jessica and me gigantic.

"Luckily, I developed another serum which gives immunity to the main serum," she explained. She looked over a table behind her for a second before she found what she was looking for. She grabbed two syringes, each filled with a light green liquid. She then walked over to a nearby sink and washed her hands. Pulling gloves over her hands, she walked back over to Jessica.

"Okay, honey," she said. "This shot will give us immunity to the serum so we don't grow. The immunity should kick in in about a half hour."

Jessica's mother gave Jessica the shot before injecting herself with the immunity. She washed off the syringes and tossed them in the garbage along with her blue gloves.

"Now," Jessica's mother said while cleaning up, "the serum is a bit strange in terms of how it's administered. Obviously I cannot inject people with it. Not only would it not affect the cities themselves, but the people are simply too small and too numerous for an injection to work. So, I made the cure, instead of a liquid, a gas. I have it stored in a glass sphere that I can attach to an air pump so that it can reach the entire house. Only a very tiny amount of the serum is needed for it to work, so it will be able to reach the entire home without losing its effect.

Jessica looked over at Alex in amazement, and Alex returned the look. They were both taken aback by Jessica's mother's ingenuity and smarts. Alex smiled to himself, silently hoping that everything would work.

Jessica's mother grabbed a glass sphere from a cluttered table in the corner of the room. It looked empty but it held the clear gas that was the serum.

"So... are you guys ready?"