- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The girl hides from Jade.

There I was, still seated within the darkness of the couch, watching Jade's footsteps soar overhead as she called out my name. Whatever I did, I couldn't let myself be found. That's all that I was thinking, it's all I could hear in my head. I saw Jade grow nearer to the couch, and as she approached me my entire world was overwhelmed with her immensity. From my position I was unable to see anything other than her feet up to her ankles, but I could feel her mass and weight from her steps reverberated all throughout my body.


When she began to draw close, I turned on my heel and ran frantically back toward the table in the center of the living room. The light blinded me as I emerged from the bottom of the couch, and I tripped, sending me tumbling to my destination. Before even a moment passed I got back to my feet and looked out to where I had been. For a moment I could see a sliver of Jade's feet through the couch, but they disappeared as she moved closer to my position. I heard her calling out my name again, "Come on out, whatever you're trying to do isn't cute, it's kinda rude!" She laughed nervously and began creeping closer. I ran to the posterior of the table and hid behind one of its legs.


When I peeked over to the couch again, I saw that Jade was right next to me, bent over and looking under the couch I had just been under. Panic flooded over my body and my throat suddenly felt as though there was a mass within it. As Jade turned to look under the table, I fled behind the leg again and swallowed hard, closing my eyes and weeping silently. I could hear her inhaling and exhaling, and the sounds of her crawling all around to look for me, her knees and hands pounding into the carpet. Soon I heard her joints cracking and flexing as she stood up. She called out to me again.


I exhaled loudly and suddenly in relief, and regret immediately came over me. Jade stopped mid-sentence as she called out to me, and began to crouch down again, having heard me. A burst of energy overcame me as I ran beneath the central couch, as far as I could, until I ran into the wall hands first and looked behind me back to where I had been. In this darkness it was impossible that she could see me if she looked under the couch. Jade reached out and pawed at the leg that I had been hiding behind. I saw her face contort in worry. She said to me, "Listen, I know you're probably really confused, and I felt bad about yesterday, so I wanted to just talk to you, I wanna talk this out. Please just come listen to me." I completely pressed my back against the wall and sniffed some snot back into my nose.


Still searching for me, she turned her head around and looked under the couch. Her eyes scanned along the horizon of the carpet, looking for my figure. She passed over me for a moment, but before she reached the end of the couch her eyes shot back at me. On her face was a look of confusion, and then her mouth curved into a gentle smile, that same smile. Again the ground shook horribly as she crawled toward me, and before she was even near me I started crying loudly and intensely, Jade certainly knew I was here now.


Her hand entered the crevice between the ground and the couch, and then her full arm extended to try and reach me. Past the writhing mass I could see Jade, with her face pressed against the couch, her eyes intensely trying to evaluate my position. The hand stopped just before me, and the fingers extended as far as they could, right before my face. They wiggled and bent to reach me. I felt sick to my stomach, and I curled into a tiny ball on the floor with my eyes only barely peeking out to watch the hand waving around me. It seemed that Jade couldn't reach me from here.


As she sighed in disappointment she said, "Please come out, I can't reach you, stop making me have to force you to come. I'm trying to ask nicely that you come out here, okay? Just come on, please." I didn't move an inch. I could still barely see her face through my fingers, and her eyes were directly on me. Eventually she stood up, and I could see her feet again. She stepped away, and soon she had walked so far that I couldn't see her at all, or even hear her footsteps. A wave of relief came over me.


It was shattered almost instantly. The sounds of her body returned, now to the left of me. I looked over and saw that Jade was coming to the side of the couch to move it and obtain me. In fear, I stood to my feet again, but my knees shook so intensely that they immediately buckled and I fell onto my face. My ankle screamed out in pain for the first time in hours. My hands grasped at the ankle to evaluate what was wrong, but I had to start crawling away as I heard the roar of the couch moving to the side. Jade was loudly moaning in exhaustion as she pushed it away.


I was breathing heavily, and only now did I realize how tired I was. I had been crying for so long now, I had never felt so scared in my life. As I was crawling or hobbling away my mind was racing with thoughts. I didn't want to be Jade's play toy anymore, I didn't want to be violated again. The memories of the smell of her bedroom returned to me and I gagged. Finally I emerged out the other side of the couch, and I stood to my feet in the light. Behind me Jade was moving through the area behind the couch and me. I started to limp away as fast as I possibly could.


I ran to my right and found that I had entered the kitchen. The first thing I did was slip on the smooth ground, but I was able to get off of my butt and work my way under a space between a cabinet and the floor. However, I was sent coughing and sputtering as I inhaled the dust. I coughed violently and heavily and began to move from under the cabinet, but I saw Jade enter the kitchen and I receded.


Her feet moved all around the kitchen, and I watched her as she walked in circles and periodically bent down to look under things. Repressing further coughs, I lightly breathed as I slowly moved further into furthest corner of under the cabinet, toward the leg.


In my peripheral vision, to the right, I noticed the subtle movement of a black mass. I was immediately frozen with horror. Tears welling in my eyes again, either from fear or all of the dust around me, I slowly turned my head and saw the ant. At my size, it was about the size of a large dog. I stood rigid as a plank, watching as it skittered from left to right, faster than I could ever move. Its strange, angular head shifted left and right, looking around. It was trying to find the source of all the noise that was made earlier.


Soon its eyes came upon me. It stood still for a second, and then burst into action. I started to run, ignoring the fire in my ankle, and emerged from under the cabinet and screamed out for Jade. She turned her head from the fridge she was searching under and saw me, then her eyes moved over to the ant that was running at me. She stood and walked toward me.


It didn't take long until I could feel her massiveness, her raw power. She came close, and her leg soared over my head. Both of her legs came around me, and quickly she bent down to squash the ant with her finger and grab me. I turned to the ant, and watched as it stopped just before me then turned around, running, until Jade's finger came down and killed it. Her finger stood before me, solid and completely huge, twisting left and right. Her entire hand then started moving toward me, the air around it creating loud sound, aiming to grab me. I realized my mistake and began to move away again.


Jade's hand followed me as far as it could, until Jade had reached so far toward me that she lost her balance. Her enormous form wobbled and shook and then she began to fall. I could hear the wind from her sudden movement, and as I looked behind me to watch, eventually coming to a complete halt, her whole body seemed to move in slow motion. I looked up to see her hand, still outstretched toward me, falling down to my position, coming closer and closer. I backed up and lost my balance as well, falling onto my butt, and just before the hand landed I rolled away with my eyes closed, screaming.


The impact was catastrophic. It felt like the world had come up beneath me and was trying to grab me. I kept my eyes shut and reached to plug my ears, but the sound exploded all at once before I could do anything, and my body was overtaken by its scale. I felt my eardrums shout out and then I could hear nothing beyond all of the ringing. Jade's hand came in contact with the ground last, almost producing an aftershock under me. I laid there prone, hands fumbling over my ears until there were no more vibrations, no more shaking.


When I opened my eyes, Jade still wasn't moving. She was laying on her side, her black hair matted over her face, and her breathing had suddenly become dangerously quiet. I stood there, watching her for a time, before I slowly began to approach her. I called out to her as she had called out to me earlier, "Jade, are you okay? Jade, do you hear me?"


As soon as I had came within her reach, her hand darted toward me and wrapped all around my body. Her other arm moved to brush her hair out of her eyes, and when she could see me she smiled. "I knew that would get you."


She stood and began to walk toward her room, and I fell into silence, scared of what was going to happen next.